It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most astounding fact!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

False parts of the bible? Start with genesis.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

the Biblical fact that Life can only come from pre-existing life.

Just because it is in the bible does not make it a fact.

Is this a scientific fact or just your guess, cuz facts shows that space is indeed infinite.

Then provide those facts please.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by edmc^2

I know #1 is a fact because science not only confirmed it but showed it to be true.

While #2 is only a pipe dream.

Since almost the entire bible has been shown to be false

That's the most absurd claim.

Historicity of the Bible

Archaelogy and our religion

The problem of the historicity of the Bible is exactly the same today as it has been since the days of the first apologists. One reads the Bible and decides for himself what is history in it and what is allegory, and what is myth, and what is legend, and what is interpolation.

edit on 14-3-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
That was amazing!

I had a broad smile on my face right till the end.
Thanks for sharing

x

Thanks

To be honest, that's the reply I expected from most people as the stuff shown in that video should pretty much blow away anyone. And even better, it's based on facts rather than wish belief!

Sorry, most of us aren't as easily amazed.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Jameela

You are correct.Theories will change as we gain knowledge,despite the scientific community's effort to retain sacred cows.Ego runs the scientific world,and like most men they don't like change.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

Sorry, most of us aren't as easily amazed.

I know, reality isn't your thing...only fairy tales amaze you

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
reply to post by Jameela

You are correct.Theories will change as we gain knowledge,despite the scientific community's effort to retain sacred cows.Ego runs the scientific world,and like most men they don't like change.

Total nonsense.

The average theory in cosmology for example survives 6mo before it's "debunked". Science allows for peer reviews, so they're really good at checking their own findings over and over again. In the case of evolution, it hasn't been debunked in over 150 years, just like the earth being round hasn't been debunked

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
reply to post by Jameela

As Max Planck once said, science advances one funeral at a time. Which is true to a certain extent.
edit on 3/14/2012 by HappyBunny because: Couldn't remember if it was Fermi or Planck who said that.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

In the case of evolution, it hasn't been debunked in over 150 years, just like the earth being round hasn't been debunked

Nor has it ever been observed

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Originally posted by Jameela
Theory is not fact

Here's what a scientific theory is...not far from the colloquial use of "fact"

In this case, we have actually observed and tested this, so we KNOW how those molecules come to be.
edit on 5-3-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

Except that scientific theory, is accepted as "fact" until new information disproves the theory. Seems like when new scientific discoveries are made, it creates more questions than it answers.

So your approach is "# it, can't know anything anyway...let's just make # up and don't bother with objective evidence". FYI, the theory of evolution has been correct for over 150 years now for example, and we're actively using it in modern medicine.

Most theories don't survive long, but those who do for a few years and decades are generally correct. Evolution's just one example.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainNemo
reply to post by MrXYZ

In the case of evolution, it hasn't been debunked in over 150 years, just like the earth being round hasn't been debunked

Nor has it ever been observed

Except...it has been observed.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

It's not absurd to point out the huge failures of the bible. It is what it is.

Your first link simply lists the history described in the bible. For instance it lists the story in genesis which is a resounding failure. It even lists exodus which clearly never happened.

Link2 does nothing to substantiate that the history in the bible is true.

Let's play a game heard on "Car Talk." The name of the game is "Stump the Chump." In this version of the game we ask a simple question.

Q: Name the only evidence outside of the bible for the existence of David.

So there we are. I admit that the famous biblical figure exists because of archaeological evidence. I will give a hint. It was found in 1998.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Not true. Science thrives on change.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

That all depends on what you mean observed.

The fossil record makes it clear that the fairy tales of genesis, there are 2, have the order of evolution wrong. I can observe that fallacy.

The fossil record can be observed and it shows the order of evolution.
Biochemistry reveals the relationships of evolution and it can be observed.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I recall reading about the Greeks and how they saw relationships between the various forms of life. Evolution has been observed for thousands of years. The reason for the fact of evolution took a long time to figure out.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

reply to post by edmc^2

OK - let's start with Genesis - take it from the top.

According to scientific facts, the universe and the earth had a beginning.

Based on estimates - the universe is around 14 byo and the earth is around 4 byo.

Is Genesis 1:1 false when it says that the universe (heavens) and the earth had a "beginning" or not?

let's start with this.

tc.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

Let's start with the real failures of the bible. Lots of myths have a beginning. Myths from around the world talk about a beginning for the world and the universe. It would seem that in this respect the bible is not special with that claim.

Genesis has 2 creation myths that are not the same. The bible cannot even agree with itself. In one man and woman are created at the same time. In the other man and woman are created at different times. In one great whales are created before cattle and beasts. The fossil record shows that to be wrong. The stories have the order wrong for the creation of the solar system.

It's a mess.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by edmc^2

reply to post by edmc^2

OK - let's start with Genesis - take it from the top.

According to scientific facts, the universe and the earth had a beginning.

Based on estimates - the universe is around 14 byo and the earth is around 4 byo.

Is Genesis 1:1 false when it says that the universe (heavens) and the earth had a "beginning" or not?

let's start with this.

tc.

It also claims humans just popped up on earth in their current form, and the entire human race comes from 2 fully formed homo sapiens (Adam & Eve)...which we know for a FACT isn't true. It also claims the earth was created before the sun, which is also wrong.

Do I have to go on?

Claiming the bible is 100% accurate is childish and beyond laughable...it also displays the whole "blind faith" concept brilliantly

Oh, and the universe as we know it had a beginning...but given that we don't know (yet) what happened before the big bang, you can't claim there was a "beginning to everything". Everything as we know it, sure, but we don't know what happened before that...
edit on 15-3-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Thanks To be honest, that's the reply I expected from most people as the stuff shown in that video should pretty much blow away anyone. And even better, it's based on facts rather than wish belief!
reply to post by MrXYZ

Yeah, I'm only going through all the replies to this now... I'm amazed to see so many arguments and little to no appreciation.
I'm not scientifically minded, I did not study it so I am afraid I will not be able to participate much in this thread.

But I will add some of my very...unscientific thoughts.

When I stand outside at night and stare at the milky way Galaxy, I feel like I'm home. I feel like I am a part of something bigger. I cannot help but picture Andromeda right next to us, knowing the Milky Way and her are participating in this dance that will eventually create a whole new set of life.

Even though I don't know exactly what it is. It's peaceful. It is the perfect balance of life itself.
As a star dies, and does it's thing, imploding, exploding and expanding, it creates life. Actually makes you wonder if you can really call it 'dying'. When it is in fact, creating... nothing goes to waste and everything is so finely connected.

When I picture the universe, I picture it like a bunch of spheres inside spheres. Each sphere is a dimension that cannot be seen by other dimensions.. I picture us humans as these balls of light or soul or energy that flings around in between these spheres, giving and taking 'life' as we are in constant motion. I'm sure we play a part in the exchange of energies in the universe. Absorbing it like a sponge, filtering it, and then giving off energy in our own way.

I dunno, it's a picture in my head that I can't really explain that well but your video really hits that note of 'understanding' for me.

I'm probably dead wrong, but hey... that's what in my head.. I guess we will all know one day.

Sorry for the ramble..

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Take a look at this...

This is what I would call, 'Creation' .

It's pretty much like mating if you really look at it...two parts coming together to create a new for of life... random thought.
edit on 15-3-2012 by Tripple_Helix because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join