It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most astounding fact!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
We actually know exactly how the very molecules we and everything else are composed of came to be. Just figured I'd share given that so many don't seem to know this

PS: Neil Degrasse Tyson ftw!!
edit on 5-3-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Theory is not fact

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jameela
Theory is not fact

Here's what a scientific theory is...not far from the colloquial use of "fact"

In this case, we have actually observed and tested this, so we KNOW how those molecules come to be.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jameela

It has more validity than myth. At least it relies on man's logic, rather than the lack thereof.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Tony4211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Theory is not fact

Gravity is a theory. Do you doubt that it exists?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Im confused, is the most astounding fact that this process actualy happens?

Or is the most astounding fact that we have knowledge of it?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Well if your attempting to prove a theory, then provide more than a happy little story that is only a theory.

Since atoms are so unique, to the extent mine can be differentiated from yours, and the building blocks of life are so general that almost anything has these same properties, more than a little video saying our particular atoms came from space would in fact be needed in order to provide basis for stating this is more than simply a theory.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jameela

Person A can not differentiate their atoms from person B. They are just arranged differently. I don't think his reason for posting this video was to necessarily prove a theory, more than it was to share an inspiring video.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

Well if your attempting to prove a theory, then provide more than a happy little story that is only a theory.

Since atoms are so unique, to the extent mine can be differentiated from yours, and the building blocks of life are so general that almost anything has these same properties, more than a little video saying our particular atoms came from space would in fact be needed in order to provide basis for stating this is more than simply a theory.

Sorry to burst your bubble there, but your atoms are no different than mine...or those of some giant tree lizard. They're just arranged differently. Oh, and that's a fact btw

Here's what an atom is: LINK

And here's how stellar nucleosynthesis works: LINK

And here's a full article about it: LINK

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

Gravity is the phenomenon that gives weight to objects that have mass. The theory of gravity explains this. We can't see gravity but we can observe it's effects on everything around us; including objects in space. So this theory explains the observed facts and predictions made by scientists in relation to gravity.

If you can't accept that gravity is just a theory, please feel free to go jump off the tallest structure available to you.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I vote Neil Degrasse Tyson!
Excellent video and found a new avatar to boot!
Thanks

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
It would be important for people to learn what fact and theory mean in science.

There seems to be a great deal of confusion about these terms and that is confusing to many.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

There seems to be a great deal of confusion about these terms and that is confusing to many.

Ditto

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Agreed. I wish more schools would incorporate teaching about science earlier on in science classes.

Partly because sowing that kind of semantic confusion is part of the "creation science" and anti-science agendas.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

No it is not understood.. Atoms are made of energy and what might I ask is that.. No one really knows.....

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I dont think you understand how science works. It does not work with fact. It works with falsification of theory. Therefore it cannot produce facts. Laymen proclaim that science works on fact.... Not scientists..

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by MrXYZ

I dont think you understand how science works. It does not work with fact. It works with falsification of theory. Therefore it cannot produce facts. Laymen proclaim that science works on fact.... Not scientists..

Well said

most astounding fact.. haha.. you guys.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

No it is not understood.. Atoms are made of energy and what might I ask is that.. No one really knows.....

No...

Atoms are a base unit of matter with a specified energy content. If they lump together, they create molecules...which is EXACTLY what's happening in stellar nucleosynthesis. And since we're all composed of molecules like carbon, and we know how those form, we can state that the very molecules everything we know of exists of are produced by dying stars.

And a scientific theory can be a fact at the same time (LINK). Evolution is a theory and fact at the same time for example...same goes for gravity and a ton of other theories.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

You might wanna read the "scientific theory" article I linked above...because you don't seem to know what it means

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Atoms are a base unit of matter with a specified energy content. If they lump together, they create molecules...which is EXACTLY what's happening in stellar nucleosynthesis. And since we're all composed of molecules like carbon, and we know how those form, we can state that the very molecules everything we know of exists of are produced by dying stars.

wow you are a smart man, you know more than the quantum physicists.. You still have not told me what energy is!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join