It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Grand Illusion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Have you ever heard of "the world's greatest illusion"? Perhaps you have...but it was probably a gimmick to get you to watch a video about, or buy tickets to, some show displaying wonderful sleight-of-hand tricks. This illusion, however, is one that can only be revealed one way: by doing it with everything.

What in the world am I talking about? Well, let me tell you. I have just posted a thread ( The Man-Made God ) and I had forgotten to mention this in it, so I will devote an entirely new thread to it. It is very relevant, and it contributes to the argument asserting the fallacy of the Christian god. Of course you can't really prove the fallacy of something that can't be touched or seen. Not exactly. Circumstantial evidence can do a wonderful job of trying, though. And here's some circumstantial evidence.

You have all heard of praying, correct? Of course you have. Nearly everyone does it. What I am going to tell you about is called the "Jug of Milk Theory". The reason it's a theory is because of how it's applied...otherwise, it's tried and proven. So, you take a jug of milk, set it on the counter, and say to yourself, "I'm going to pray to this milk."

What to pray for? How about...Money! Everyone wants more money. So you ask for money. Now, when you pray, it's pretty widely accepted that you get three possible answers: one) the prayer is promptly granted. two) you have to wait, but it is eventually given to you...and three) you never get it. Oh well.

So, you ask this milk for money. You pray every morning and every night. And a couple of days later, you get your tax return (just an example). Yay! Your prayer was granted!

Or...you wait for a few weeks. Where is your money?
Suddenly, you get a raise. A couple more dollars every paycheck. Hoorah! The jug of milk heard you! *confetti everywhere*

Orrrrrrrr...you wait. And you wait. And you wait some more. You're done waiting, then you come back and wait AGAIN. But the money never comes. Awww...
the marvelous Jug of Milk denied your request!

So! You're probably thinking, "Well, that's just ridiculous! I would never do that!" Oho...
but you see...you DO. It's not a jug of milk, but an invisible bearded man in the sky sounds just as strange...

This is the world's greatest illusion, and you can apply it to ANYTHING. We just happen to apply it to something that can't be disproven. Aren't we clever?

The moral of the story: If this illusion can be applied to anything, then the best way to make your prayers come true, is to get off your couch and DO IT YOURSELF. Hard worktime enables harder playtime...or whatever it is you're looking for.

How could you not have seen it earlier? Well, we all want something to hope in. But why can't that something be...ourselves?

Namaste

edit on CMondaypm262628f28America/Chicago05 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
The moral of the story: If this illusion can be applied to anything, then the best way to make your prayers come true, is to get off your couch and DO IT YOURSELF.

Hard worktime enables harder playtime...or whatever it is you're looking for.

I totally agree with you on this one! And I will also add to this that I am self employed which means....if I work, I get to eat, if I don't work, I won't have money to eat.

At the end of the day the more effort you put into work, the more you will get out of it (ie. money and self-fulfillment).

Money is just an idea. So if you have an idea to make a lot of money, you'll have to work really hard. But if you have an ethic of working hard already, then it won't seem like you are working hard because money will come as a byproduct of your success.

Anyways, I have to go back to work...great read, great thread, great topic

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Money is not the point of this thread. It was only an example...because almost everyone prays for money.

The point is that just because your prayers appear to be fulfilled by a higher being, does not mean they actually were. The secret, you could say, is in the perspective...your perspective.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Money is not the point of this thread. It was only an example...because almost everyone prays for money.

The point is that just because your prayers appear to be fulfilled by a higher being, does not mean they actually were. The secret, you could say, is in the perspective...your perspective.

a) I made a point using your example...I work for money and not pray for money
b) I would also add that if you follow the laws of the universe you can attract anything you want in life (aka...Law of Attraction)...ex) people, circumstances, money, relationships, disasters, etc....are things you attract into your life the more you think about them.

Ex. Money. Businesses ALWAYS think in terms of money, and that is what they attract most of the time
Ex) Relationships. People who wish to attract that someone special will change how they interact with others in hopes of developing that right chemistry
Ex) Disasters. IF YOU LIVE IN TORNADO ALLEY YOU WILL ATTRACT TORNADOES INTO YOUR LIFE!!!!

Just my two cents

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

By the way, your jug of milk theory is correct. Sometimes your prayers are not answered, but people who have faith will find a way to make their prayers a reality. I think that is what you are trying to say? And that is why you are saying that praying is the biggest illusion?
edit on 5-3-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: added note

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I am familiar with the Law of Attraction. Unfortunately, living on Earth usually presents a rather powerful hindrance to the idea.

For instance, CNN and NBC and Dateline and all of these thing will generally drag your spirits down.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

By the way, your jug of milk theory is correct. Sometimes your prayers are not answered, but people who have faith will find a way to make their prayers a reality. I think that is what you are trying to say? And that is why you are saying that praying is the biggest illusion?

No. I am saying that more often than not, those of "faith" will attribute their successes to a higher power, when it is nothing more than coincidence and their own ability (not to degrade their successes).

They are lying to themselves, with the assistance and encouragement of the Church.
edit on CMondaypm313113f13America/Chicago05 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I am familiar with the Law of Attraction. Unfortunately, living on Earth usually presents a rather powerful hindrance to the idea.

For instance, CNN and NBC and Dateline and all of these thing will generally drag your spirits down.

I think watching tv generally brings your spirits down. Either you become jealous of the celebrities you see on what they have, or you turn to news and see all chaos, destruction and politics in the world. Cartoons keep your brain dumb, and movies occupy your fantasy world.

I rarely watch tv....maybe at most 30 min a day just to know how the morning traffic and weather are going to be for the day.

I can tell you for a fact I applied the Law Of Attraction and I got exactly what I wanted. The things I didn't receive happened because I didn't believe enough and didn't work hard enough in life to earn. That said, I didn't pray at all during any of those times.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

No. I am saying that more often than not, those of "faith" will attribute their successes to a higher power, when it is nothing more than coincidence and their own ability (not to degrade their successes).

They are lying to themselves, with the assistance and encouragement of the Church.
edit on CMondaypm313113f13America/Chicago05 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

Okay, I got what you are saying now. It's weird how people will pass their success onto a higher power when they don't realize it was their own doing (not a higher power) that did it.

Makes you wonder why churches are around. They want people to attribute their success to their respective church and in turn the churches collect money from those who attend church. And then the church says, " We are a charitable organization, we collect money. The more we think about helping our members become successful in their life, means we act like a servant *service* of God. Providing a service and receiving compensation sounds like a business. Businesses think in terms of making money. The church prays for more money. Cycle repeats itself.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

You asked for the reason the Church is around...well, the purpose for the Church is complicated, and extends back centuries upon centuries. In essence, it comes down to a handful of elements, all of which I have explained in this thread ( Design of Religion ) if you would like to read it.

The Church should be obsolete, but the Society Game has lead us to require the Church...and instead of teaching us to grow our own wings, we are taught to rely upon God, never realizing that God is actually within us.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

You asked for the reason the Church is around...well, the purpose for the Church is complicated, and extends back centuries upon centuries. In essence, it comes down to a handful of elements, all of which I have explained in this thread ( Design of Religion ) if you would like to read it.

The Church should be obsolete, but the Society Game has lead us to require the Church...and instead of teaching us to grow our own wings, we are taught to rely upon God, never realizing that God is actually within us.

Actually, it is the Holy Spirit that is within us.

Remember, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit? So God really isn't within us, God is all around us (apparently).

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Remember, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit? So God really isn't within us, God is all around us (apparently).

I believe in the Divine Duality, not the Holy Trinity.

The Christian cross is actually an example of duality. Two bars, two ends to each bar, and the bar coming down represents God, while the lateral bar represents man. Even the Christian symbols contradict its message...the cross actually says that man and god overlap. Man is God. We just haven't realized it yet.

The Holy Spirit, as it exists today, is a man-made concept. I have nothing further to say regarding the Spirit nor the Trinity.
edit on CMondaypm575736f36America/Chicago05 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

have u guys seen those hulu commercials, where it says this is ur brain on tv.. n this is ur brain on hulu plus , at da end iit says evil plot to destroy the world how much of dis sht is true

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Wow is all I have to say. For someone who is convinced the Christian God doesn't exist, you sure spend a lot of time researching Him and speaking of Him

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Why is the point of your thread here in your response? We who pray know that we don't have to pray, we choose to do it. You either may or may not see miracles during your lifetime, but why go through all the trouble of writing this thread just so you can discourage prayer? Is what you are trying to accomplish here denying ignorance? Have you read about the effects of prayer experienced by other men or are you only listening to the men who discourage prayer?
edit on 10/01/11 by Wonders because: Seek and you will find. Don't disregard the experiences of others, if you don't want yours to be disregarded.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

The Christian cross is actually an example of duality. Two bars, two ends to each bar, and the bar coming down represents God, while the lateral bar represents man. Even the Christian symbols contradict its message...the cross actually says that man and god overlap. Man is God. We just haven't realized it yet.

The Holy Spirit, as it exists today, is a man-made concept. I have nothing further to say regarding the Spirit nor the Trinity.
edit on CMondaypm575736f36America/Chicago05 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

Stop straining yourself, what you're saying is absolutely false. We can trace the origins of the cross all the way back to Sumeria. It was a central emblem worn by priests to represent their god Marduk of the star Neberu (Jupiter) or star of the crossing point.

I have noticed some of your other threads. It is obvious that you loathe God and religion, I respect that. If you want to engage in debate we can, but I'm not going to sit here and post common knowledge with a person who won't listen.

Nobody is going to take what you say at face value. Where is the evidence of any of is?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

top topics

join