It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five major changes in the 'Star Wars' DVD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
For those that are interested in the changes, but not interested enough to shell out money for YET ANOTHER reincarnation of the movies, here you go.

5. Jedis don't scream

The 1997 special edition version of "The Empire Strikes Back" was changed so Luke wails as he jumps off the platform in Cloud City. In the only instance of Lucas undoing a later alteration (sadly, Greedo still shoots first on the DVD of "A New Hope"), he's taken it off the DVD edition. Maybe he realized Jedis (even ones in training) don't scream.

4. Boba Fett has a new voice

Since Boba Fett is a clone of Jango Fett, and Jango Fett is played by Temura Morrison, doesn't it make sense that he should sound like him, too? That's exactly what George Lucas thought, so Morrison was brought in to revoice the four lines of dialogue (yes, believe it or not there are only four!) Boba spoke in the original trilogy.

3. A new and improved Jabba

Remember that dodgy-looking computer-generated Jabba they inserted into the 1997 re-release of "A New Hope"? Well, he looks a little less dodgy this time around thanks to some improved CGI.

2. The emperor's new clothes

In the original version of "The Empire Strikes Back," the emperor Darth Vader speaks to via hologram was played by a woman in a mask (!) and voiced by Clive Revill. Again, in the interests of consistency, Ian McDiarmid -- who portrays the emperor in "Return of the Jedi" and the prequel trilogy -- now appears in that scene with an added line or two of dialogue.

1. The big finale

The 1997 special edition of "Return of the Jedi" added a few "Star Wars" worlds joining the celebration of the Empire's demise at the end of the film. For the DVD, they've added Naboo, a planet that figures prominently in the prequel trilogy. Also, Anakin Skywalker is noticeably different this time around. When he removes his Darth Vader helmet, he now has no eyebrows! It's probably safe to assume he singes them off in his battle with Obi-Wan Kenobi in next summer's "Return of the Sith" and a change had to be made.

More: www.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
George Lucas should get locked up so as to not be able to do anymore damage to these classics :bnghd:.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The only changes there that I agree with are the change to the Emperor, the changes to Jabba and adding Naboo. Oh yeah well I guess you would'nt have eyebrows left after that. Adding Hayden tot he end is just dumb, same with the wail.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Not A bvig star wars fan but i do like the seris. not sure if they missed it out but also the outrider makes a cameo apperance,
There's Dash Rendar's ship, The Outrider, from "Shadows of the Empire".

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I saw the outrider in special edition. did they remove it in the new dvd version?

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Durden
George Lucas should get locked up so as to not be able to do anymore damage to these classics :bnghd:.

amen to, pretty soon he might start messin with indiana jones!

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It are George's films, he can make whatever changes he wants, he makes them to make all the movies one big trilogy without any inconsistencies. Also he has the right called "Artistic Freedom", you guys are purists, afraid of any change.

He wasn't happy with the originals because the limitations of the technology at the time, so why don't change some things when technology today can accomidate his vision?

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Star wars and Indiana Jones are ours. Not "his" anymore.

I admired the guy. I still do. But If he wants to make version of the original which will make him happier, he can always watch them home at skywalker ranch. He must not sell those to the youth as "star wars".

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
No, they are his movies just like Guns N' Roses now is Axl's band.

He did not make the movies for us, he made them for himself as a director. He owes us nothing, and we should be glad he's making a preqeul trilogy and continuing the saga. Back then technology was poor and now he has the chance to update them. I still have the SE on tape, so I'm not complaining.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 05:15 AM
link   

He did not make the movies for us.

Then why publish them? he made them for us to see.

He owes us nothing.

He owes us everything. If we werent there sw would be a fading echo in the darkness.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ice^^Heat
He wasn't happy with the originals because the limitations of the technology at the time, so why don't change some things when technology today can accomidate his vision?

I'd have no problem with the changes if they also released the originals that everyone fell in love with and could see them as a slice of history. However he is trying to erase the original versions, and that will be left of these bastardized versions so that people who fell in love with the originals wont know what they're looking at anymore.

Release the originals as well and there wont be a problem.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Yes I agree, I grew up with the Special Editions, but I'm still curious to the old ones.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
"Then why publish them? he made them for us to see."

He did not, he made the movie Star Wars as a director. He did not intend to make sequels or further the story. The people who loved it made him to make more. He wanted to do other films and projects but the fact taht SW is a great movie made him make more.

"He owes us everything. If we werent there sw would be a fading echo in the darkness."

We made him the success that he is today, no doubt. But he has already delivered the movies, and it is possible to get unoffical DVD copies of the SE from Malaysia and off of Ebay. The old ones are still one tape.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Durden
I agree there but i will still buy them.

top topics

join