It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous hackers hacked: a conspiracy theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Anonymous hackers hacked: a conspiracy theory

tech.blorge.com

Some supporters of Anonymous who’ve downloaded tools to help in attacks may have unwittingly installed malware. Who’s responsible for this ironic infection remains unclear, but what if it’s the work of officials?

Crazy as the idea might be, law enforcement officials would certainly benefit if Anonymous supporters were deterred from voluntarily taking part in attacks. But surely those in authority wouldn’t resort to spreading malware in an attempt to crack down on criminal activity, would they?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Personally I'd presume the relevant actions were probably motivated simply by a desire to make a profit or have fun, but I wouldn't rule out a desire to make people a bit more cautious about assisting Anonymous in its attacks.

That's probably a bit too imaginative for most Government/police officials though...

tech.blorge.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
But....If I were a government official with lots of money at my disposal I would hire a hacker who IS imaginative.

In which case anything is possible. If I can't do it but know someone who can, thats all I need to know.

If I were to help Anon but then found my pc flooded with viruses, not being computer savy, it would leave me with a big problem.

Hmmmm.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleHorizon
If I were a government official with lots of money at my disposal I would hire a hacker who IS imaginative.

But just thinking about hiring a hacker would involve more imagination thinking than that done by many Government officials.

In fact, one of the problems I have with many conspiracy theories is that they give too much credit to the abilities of Government officials to devise and execute dastardly plans without many, or any, information leaking. Given the regularity with which newspapers report upon Government officials leaving laptops/documents on trains and walking around with the content of documents on display, many conspiracy theories seem rather unrealistic in presuming that officials could keep a conspiracy secret.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

I dont know. I am now so suspicious of every move everyone makes. I just imagine a room full of think tanks and at some point somebody has got to have the thought 'fight fire with fire'.

I'm your bog standard citizen but if I had the resources I know how I would fend my corner. And I would blur the truth with lies so much that everything became questionable, I would sow enough doubt that the truth would be well hidden whilst there for all to see.
I would also employ the best hackers around and lure them with gold and a good moral argument 'for the good of all' to fight for my side.

Transparency is a long, long way off. Until then it's all a guessing game. We can believe we are connecting the dots but in the end I know there are much more clever people than me with a whole lot more to lose. I can't even begin to imagine the schemes they have in place.
I guess I give them quite a lot of credit for intelligence. Would be fabulous if I were wrong. I hope I am.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
From link in op.

Threat was blocked. (AVG)

File name: tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2012/03/05/anonymouse-hackers-hacked-a-conspiracy-theory/

Threat name: Exploit Phoenix Exploit Kit (type 769)

Danger: Surf-Shield has detected active threats on this page and has blocked access for your protection.
The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety. Without protection, such as that in the AVG Security Toolbar and AVG, your computer is at risk of being compromised, corrupted or having your identity stolen. Please follow one of the suggestions below to continue.

URL: tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2011/12/04/as-its-star-rises-html5-security-called-into-question/
Name: Phoenix Exploit Kit (type 769)

Just letting everyone know, click on that link at your own risk.
edit on 5-3-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Of course the authorties would use malware. Have a look at the HBgary hack and what was exposed there. Governments pay to make these codes..

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Oh my gosh! Don't tell me there has been a double cross on Anonymous end?

That infamous Low Orbit Ion Cannon software that Anonymous used was loaded with malware.

I downloaded it and disassembled it 4 years ago.

You had to be crazy to allow any "organization" to use your ISP connection and b/w to launch DDOS attacks and mass scans.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
There have been some splits going on within Anonymous and these 'Factions' Anoncentral/AnonIRC inevitably are going to try and mess each other over. The main software package used (or used to be used) is Low Orbit Ion Canon, anyone can download it, its purpose is for DDNS attacks. It doesn't take a genius to package 'something' else within this package.

As has been said, highly doubtful it's come from the Governments in an attempt to deter Anonymous. If it was then its not going to work!!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Wasted talent truly is a sad thing to see. This group called, "Anonymous" has no type of style of their own or originality.

What ever happened to pride of pwnership?

Creative thinking?

You would never see anything sloppy like this come from say cDc or any true Freedom of Information pioneers.

I laugh loudly at these clowns with their wayward focus and mediocre skill-sets.

*...and I almost forgot about their AGENDALESS DEEDS!
edit on 5-3-2012 by maestromason because: *

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Sad to say....

gizmodo.com...

hosted.ap.org...

The repercussions of this will be profound.
edit on 6-3-2012 by OsirisIndigo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Could be a false positive? Not saying it is.... But if a piece of software is being used as a network attack tool, the anti-virus may consider it to be a threat.

en.wikipedia.org...

A "false positive" is when antivirus software identifies a non-malicious file as a virus. When this happens, it can cause serious problems. For example, if an antivirus program is configured to immediately delete or quarantine infected files, a false positive in an essential file can render the operating system or some applications unusable.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Why would you not expect the government to fight dirty if you are fighting dirty? Some times you have to fight fire with fire. Shouldnt be taking part in illegal activities. Those taking part in these illegal activities against other people have only been hurt. To bad for them. I hope they have to go buy new PCs or are now targets of the FBI. congratulations.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

I don't know much about this sort of thing but I noticed in your quoted post section anonymous is spelled anonymouse in the name of the file. Is there any signifigance to this?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This just in: Anon leader LulzSec has snitched on the group and has apparently been working with the FBI for months supplying them with the necessary information to bring down the top Anon hackers.

LulzSec Leader Betrays All of Anon

The FBI used his kids as leverage in this case. It will be interesting to see what kind of example they will make out of this group and if it will only spur more dissent from activists.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I knew it was only a matter of time before this fraud collapsed in on itself.

"leaderless", my ass!

This fraudulent perpetration of a true group like cDc is a shame!

A down right dirty shame!

These guys should start their own rookie club and leave the world alone!

new topics

top topics

join