It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney's VP choices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
With super Tuesday approaching I'm making a list of people who I think are VP candidates for Mitt with a brief opinion. Please add other possible candidates and feel free to praise or bash people on the list.

Ron Paul: Possibly the best choice if the GOP wants to beat Obama, probably won't happen for obvious reasons.

Rick Santorum: Somehow he is second in delegates and may be given thought for finishing runner-up in the Republican primary, I do not think the establishment is stupid enough to put him on the ticket considering 80%+ of Americans think he is a religious nutcase

Chris Christie: He recently threw his name out there and the media ate it up, doesn't make any sense to have to guys from the northeast running together but what do I know.

Jeb Bush: The media, mainly Fox News likes to throw his name out there. He says no way.

Newt Gingrich: A lobbyist, Washington insider, and adulterer. Before the days of the internet he might be a great pick, too much of a liability today in the information age.

Marco Rubio: May help the GOP pull Florida in the election. Personally feel he doesn't have enough experience for the job

Any GOP state governor: Too many to name...

and a wild card :

Jennifer Carroll: Florida's current Lt. Governor, she is an educated black women who is a retired Naval officer, personally think she is the best option(besides Dr. Paul) for the GOP to defeat Obama.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

she is an educated black women

Thats a bit racist isnt it? Are you going to call Obama articulate next?

just kidding.

Paul Ryan would be a good pick. He is so dreamy

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Chris Christie is too fat for the country to buy into him

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

Ron Paul: Possibly the best choice if the GOP wants to beat Obama, probably won't happen for obvious reasons.

Would not garner enough of a base to bring in votes that Money would otherwise not get himself.
I agree he is a great choice, but not likely.

Rick Santorum: Somehow he is second in delegates and may be given thought for finishing runner-up in the Republican primary, I do not think the establishment is stupid enough to put him on the ticket considering 80%+ of Americans think he is a religious nutcase

You summed it up quite well there. However if Santorum gets enough of a base going in the Bible belt, its nt as far fetched as yu and I might think. Also many 'blue' counties in eastern PA and NJ might vote Santorum as he did have a bit of popularity there from his Senate days.

Chris Christie: He recently threw his name out there and the media ate it up, doesn't make any sense to have to guys from the northeast running together but what do I know.

He also said that a betting man should bet n him still being Gov in 2013. Christie would be my pick, as he brings a bit of that Northeast US attitude and swagger that Romney lacks. Plain spoken like Paul, with executive branch experience, and was electable enough to win as a Republican in a heavily blue state.

Jeb Bush: The media, mainly Fox News likes to throw his name out there. He says no way.

Jeb says no, I say no, I bet the entire country wuld say no

Newt Gingrich: A lobbyist, Washington insider, and adulterer. Before the days of the internet he might be a great pick, too much of a liability today in the information age.

8 years ago, probably he had a better chance than he has today. He has the Washington knowledge that Romney lacks, but just is overall unpopular in the nation...anyone who stood against Clinton would be in the same boat.

Marco Rubio: May help the GOP pull Florida in the election. Personally feel he doesn't have enough experience for the job

Dont know too much about him, and honestly have not yet researched him.

Any GOP state governor: Too many to name...

Agreed

and a wild card :

Jennifer Carroll: Florida's current Lt. Governor, she is an educated black women who is a retired Naval officer, personally think she is the best option(besides Dr. Paul) for the GOP to defeat Obama.

Interesting here, again not too much knowledge on my end, but I like that you are thinking outside of the box. I will have to look and see if he has any aspirations outside of FL right now, I will say its hard to win with an obscure name, and someone wh doesnt have a lot of national news in their back pocket already, just ask Palin about that one.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Let say Romney decides to roll the dice and picks Carroll, I think her being an unknown will initially help her cause and she will get a lot support and Mitt and her will see a spike in the polling numbers, as did McPalin did in 2008. Unlike Palin when she starts getting interviewed and asked tough questions she will show that she's worthy and has the ability think and will come across as a very smart women who knows her stuff which should only help her cause. Me being from the Space Coast of Florida I am biased toward anyone with a good track record in the space industry which Carroll has.
Here is a little background info on Jennifer Carroll:www.flgov.com...

There are scores of possible VP picks out there.
edit on 5-3-2012 by jrod because: love math hate grammar

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

He can't pick Paul, and Rubio doesn't want it... yet.
He should choose Santorum and consolidate his base but he will probably pick Gov Christie in order to humanize himself. What he does not know is that he would be better off with Santorum because regarding "folks" whose vote he does not already have - we are using the term "human" in the loosest form of the word. Less human and a little more cold blooded, will be far more appealing to those Tea Party stragglers who don't love him enough. I don't think he is going to pick Carrol or any woman with John McCains fatal error still so hot on the plate.
edit on 13-3-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Santorum? That would be crazy and a good way to ensure an Obama victory. Cristie being from the Northeast won't balance the ticket so strategically doesn't make sense.

As I stated before, Carrol unlike Palin is actually competent when it comes to the mentality and work experience one needs to be VP.

I can't think of any other names to throw out there at the moment, when I do I'll post them.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Well here is another one to add to the list of possibles...

Sen Pat Toomey of PA, who took over in when Arlen Spector switched parties...

Source

Reliable sources here and in Washington report that Pennsylvania Senator Pat Toomey has entered the short list of possible choices for VP on the Republican ticket. Why? Toomey has credentials as the foremost expert on budgets, the economy and deficit reduction on the hill. He won in a fairly moderate state two years ago, and keeps a lower profile on social issues

This selection, although a US Senator, would be like Rubio, someone who has not been in the national spotlight that much...
He would also bring in votes from PA, which is historically moderate outside of the liberal urban centers, namely Philadelphia, and also votes from NJ and DE (regions within the Philly broadcast area hear his name quite often)

Just another name here...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
i also came across this site that lists out a few other candidates, some f which we named, some not, but interesting snippets nonetheless...

Veepstakes

Here are the names as they are listed, the site goes into detail on each one...

Sarah Palin
Newt Gingrich
Herman Cain
Jim Risch
Scott Brown
Joe Hoeven
Rob Portman
John Kasich
Tom Coburn
Lamar Alexander
Eric Cantor
Bob McDowell

Again just throwing the info out there, I havnt done nearly enough research on any of these to candidates to make any predictinos yet, although I'm fairly sure that it won't be the first person on the list.

top topics

join