It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Abandoning Embryo Adoption Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I swear ... can this guy be anymore anti-life?? (paraphrase) Pregnant daughters would be a punishment ... anti-constitutional mandates forcing Catholic churches to provide free birth control which many times are abortifcients ... bombing more countries than Bush43 ... Now this ..

Obama abandoning embryo adoption program

The federal government's only program aimed at preventing the discarding of "extra" frozen human embryos is itself in danger of being discarded.

In a move that pro-lifers are calling more evidence of the Obama administration's "pro-abortion slant," the White House has sought to defund the Embryo Adoption Awareness Campaign in its fiscal 2013 budget.

The Department of Health and Human Services "is not requesting funds for this program" because "the Embryo Adoption program will be discontinued in FY2013," HHS officials said in a February funding report to Congress.

There are between 50,000 to 600,000 of these 'snowflake babies' waiting to be adopted. The death of the program means the death of 50,000 to 600,000 preborn Americans. It also is one less channel of hope childless couples have. The program is $1.9 million. I'm pretty sure Obama spent more tax payer money than that on his vacations last year.

I find this very sad. He can come up with the tax money to cover his vacations; the money to fund overseas 'aid'; the money to overthrow the government of Libya; they money to provide massive Obamacare waivers to his buddies; ... but he can't come up with the money for this. VERY SAD.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

They aren't babies. Goop is not a baby.

It's funny how the pro-life crowd only cares about babies until their born..and then after that, to hell with 'em.

Embryos are NOT babies.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

They are pre-born human beings.

It's funny how the pro-life crowd only cares about babies until their born..and then after that, to hell with 'em.

It's funny how the far left keeps saying that ... even though it simply isn't true.

Congratulations though ... you nailed the typical far left, anti-life, knee jerk response. If it's saving preborn American lives, it's gotta' be a bad program because the right usually supports it. Partisan. The program is a good one. Considering all the CRAP that Obama has paid for, we could easily afford it.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I'm actually a conservative, please don't make assumptions.

And I'm not anti-life, I'm anti stupidity.

The program IS a good one, I have no quams with that, there are plenty of people who need embryos because of fertility issues etc.

My point was that embryos are not babies. There's this insane movement by the pro-life crowd (not all, but some) that everything is "Pre American Life", which is ridiculous.

Do you think that all the sperm that men "throw" away due to masterbation is murdering babies? What about menstration and all those eggs that are wasted? Are they killing pre born American babies?

Come on, there's a limit to these sorts of things. I'm against abortion, because well yes I believe life begins at some point between conception and the end of the first trimester, but embryos?

Frozen embryos? No, not babies, sorry, but it's not life or a baby until it's put inside a woman for gestation..

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

So wait , some scientists create hundreds and thousands of "extra" embryos in a lab somewhere and now it's the governments duty and the taxpayers duty to protect them?

Why aren't you mad at the scientists for just negligently creating these embryos with no place to go ? Wasn't that their disregard for human life , by manufacturing "human life" as a consumer product?

edit on 5-3-2012 by paleorchid13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by paleorchid13
Why aren't you mad at the scientists

I AM. But the subject of this thread is Obama abandoning an Embryo Adoption program that doesn't really cost that much and is doing a lot of good for a lot of people ... all the while he's funding massively expensive projects (like the overthrow of Libya) which only cause problems.

I'm anti stupidity.

Then you should be against the ending of this program.

My point was that embryos are not babies.

They are preborn American children.

Do you think that all the sperm that men "throw" away due to masterbation is murdering babies? What about menstration and all those eggs that are wasted? Are they killing pre born American babies?

Don't be silly. Of course not. That is material and nothing has been concieved. Life hasn't begun.
A disintegrated egg or sperm on the sheets doesn't contain all the elements and spark of life.

I believe life begins at some point between conception and the end of the first trimester, but embryos? [/qutoe]
Embryos fit your description for when you believe life begins.

All that is irrelevant. This is a good program. It costs very little compared to the massive waste of money Obama has pulled with Libya and Obamacare waivers and _______ (fill in the blank). There is no reason for this program to go away. Comparatively speaking .. it's damn cheap.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
And this is the typical right wing pro-life story you have just got to love. How about we start worrying about adopting cells after we no longer have orphanages with living breathing children in them? Oh wait that would actually require one use common sense.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Then you should be against the ending of this program.

No, the government has no business funding this out of tax payer money. Where in the constitution does it provide this power? It's a senseless expense, that could be fufilled by the private sector, and should be.

Your country is in a recession with a 14 trillion dollar deficit, cuts need to be made, and these sorts of non-issue programs are the ones that should get cut. Including planned parenthood.

They are preborn American children.

No they arent, if they were placed in a Canadian woman, that child would be born Canadian, these are not babies, they are goop in a petre dish awaiting life, as in gestation.

Don't be silly. Of course not. That is material and nothing has been concieved. Life hasn't begun.
A disintegrated egg or sperm on the sheets doesn't contain all the elements and spark of life.

Neither does goop in a petre dish.

Embryos fit your description for when you believe life begins.

No, really it doesn't. My description is in regarding gestation, as in, the baby is growing, as in, it has life.

All that is irrelevant. This is a good program. It costs very little compared to the massive waste of money Obama has pulled with Libya and Obamacare waivers and _______ (fill in the blank). There is no reason for this program to go away. Comparatively speaking .. it's damn cheap.

Sure, it's a good program, but not one the government should be in charge of, or funding.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower[/i

But that's not the topic of debate.

Obviously at some level of government this particular "goop" was deemed valuable enough to warrant this program. Now it's not. Yet we spend trillions on war.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by KillerQueen

The OP brought into the debate, I was simply addressing disagreement with personal belief. Clearly not something that is cut and dry and people's opinions and beliefs are to be respected.

But countering them is certainly something that provides for healthy debate.

As for your point, sure, the government created this program, but it never should have in the first place. Government has no business spending tax payer money on anything but essential services and programs that benefit everybody, equally, not a certain sect of society.

The private sector is far better suited to handle these sorts of programs/businesses.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

The OP brought into the debate, I was simply addressing disagreement with personal belief.

The OP clearly thinks the embryos are life, and the government saw value in them as well. It was you who inserted the alternate issue of whether or not they are "goop.

. programs that benefit everybody, equally, not a certain sect of society.

I'm quite sure any qualified citizen is eligible to apply for help in attaining an embryo, or at least until the program is canceled.

I see the reason for cancellation is due to a low number of applicants. I find that shocking due to the high demand for fertility in the US. My question is what will become of the embryos?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I dunno what they'll do with them, hopefully donate them to a proper research facility or another fertility clinic that is able to provide this service to those who need it.

Knowing the government however, they will either be sold to the highest bidder, or discarted all together.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

1.9 million!?!?!?!?!?!

Why that could have gone to a croney- er. . . I mean a green company!

*sigh*

What goes through these politicians minds?

(other than flatulence)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

You seem to be confused about the nature of this program. It was a marketing campaign to increase public awareness. Ceasing funding to that "Puplic Awareness" campaign in no way ceases embryonic adoption or any of the many organizations that provide those services. The campaign did not result in any significant uptick in embryonic adoptions, those looking to adopt can now easily find various embryonic adoption organizations to do so through a quick search of the interent.

Your headline left out the word "AWARENESS"...the name of the program is literally "Embryonic Adoption AWARENESS Program".....

He is NOT ending "Embryonic Adoption"...Just the 2 Million that was earmarked for marketing it.

I would say ...you gotta love an election year...but the BS and spin from the right seems to be perpetual these days.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I dunno what they'll do with them, hopefully donate them to a proper research facility or another fertility clinic that is able to provide this service to those who need it.

Knowing the government however, they will either be sold to the highest bidder, or discarted all together.

~Tenth

They don't belong to the GOV! This was a marketing program to help out agencies and organizations that specialize in Embryonic Adoption. The gov doesn't own the embryo's. This was just an "Awareness" program...geez this headline was misleading.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Originally posted by Indigo5
..geez this headline was misleading.

Well, it would have to be to get their message out... That message being "Obama is a Baby Killer"!

Also, if a frozen embryo is a "baby" how is it that it can be frozen for a long time and still be viable when thawed, but freeze a newborn baby, or any human or any human being or any person - and we got BIG problems!

An embryo is not a baby or a person. It's a different scientific creature altogether.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

LoL!

Now it makes sense.

Note to self, be more discerning in my investigations.

new topics

top topics

join