It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic/Healthy food recipe superthread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Hey ATS,

I thought it would be a good idea to get a super thread going where we can all share our healthy/organic recipes for others to easily find.

Please state when you post a recipe if it is suitable for veggies or not, to make life a little easier for our non-meat eating friends as well

I'll get things started;

(Suitable for vegetarians)

Chocolate milkshake

300ml coconut milk
Either 3 tables spoons/scoops of organic cocoa or 8 squares of dark chocolate squares (I like to mix and match)
2 table spoons of flax seed oil
1/2 a table spoon of olive oil (make sure it's organic and not a cheap one you get in supermarkets)
Optional: hand full of almonds

Very simple but I enjoy it as a healthy treat after a hard day, I sometimes have it after a run as well.

I like to use dark chocolate mainly for it's health benefits, it can help lower blood pressure and cholesterol and the best bit is doesn't have any added sugar if you buy the proper one.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatest

That sounds pretty good. I love milkshakes and dark chocolate is what I prefer when it comes to chocolate!

Well I can't say I have one single recipe that could go on here.

I love to cook and post my recipes on here often but they aren't organic or healthy but they could be made that way by substituting ingredients. I have done it many times for people that i have cooked for with various food allergies or diets. I don't cook that way naturally although I have changed a few things in my cooking. I use evoo instead of butter in my cookies. I started using yeast and flour that is gluten free and more organic. I cook for people now that have more restrictive diets so I want to make sure they can eat it! I make my own pasta which is time consuming but it's so much better. I eat boxed pasta now and it's just not the same to me.

I will have to keep checking this thread. I like some of the organic recipes I come across but I'm more into pasta, potatoes and sauces....not so healthy
but oh so tasty.

Here is one recipe I really enjoyed from the Abs Diet. I knew someone who was on it and I loved the food in the book. My bf at the time did the diet, I cooked the food. It was really good and made with organic or natural food items. It had Fat Free ingredients but if I could find those same ones at the health food store he shopped at I got that. This is a chicken and curry recipe I loved and have since made and altered in various ways all of which are not healthy.

Not sure if it really fits in your thread but compared to my food it's super healthy

Ingredients

1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise (Add 40 calories if you use mayo, I use all yogurt)
3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2" strips
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups cooked brown rice

Directions

In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, onion, ginger, and curry powder

Place the chicken in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with the paprika and pepper. Toss until coated

In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the yogurt mixture. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Serve over the rice.

Number of Servings: 2

The link gives the fat and calories.
Abs Diet Hurry Curry

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I can add a couple juice recipes. I have pretty much started drinking all my breakfasts.

You do need a juicer/fruit press for this.

The OG:

*2 apples
*1 banana
*1 large sweet naval orange (trust me, you want a sweet orange)
*1 large carrot
*3-5 large strawberries

The Veginator:

*1 apple
*1/4 cucumber
*1/4lb baby spinach
*2 large carrots
*1 whole kiwi
*handful of black grapes

Berries and Berries

*2 apples (I prefer granny smith in this recipe)
*1/8lb blueberries
*3-5 large strawberries
*1/8lb blackberries
*handful of black grapes

If you've never had fresh juice you're in for a treat. Be prepared for the juice high (warm head, lots of energy that you don't 'crash' from). It's always best to use local produce when possible, but use what is available in your area.

I was going to add nutritional information, which I do have at home, but I'm at work and am feeling lazy this morning (didn't have time for my juice before I left the house!)

I have a lot more recipes too, these are just some really tasty ones that I think even the most picky person would taste and enjoy (so long as they didn't realize it had spinach in it, EWW)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I have started drinking this for a week now , hopefully it's healthy enough . It doesn't taste that great but it fills me up till lunch ! I tablespoon of maca root powder , 2 tablespoons of chia seeds , 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed , 2 tablespoons psyllium husk , 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses , lowfat yogurt, almond milk , frozen blueberries . Put it all in the blender and drink it quit , cause it gets really thick fast !

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by TheGreatest

That sounds pretty good. I love milkshakes and dark chocolate is what I prefer when it comes to chocolate!

Well I can't say I have one single recipe that could go on here.

I love to cook and post my recipes on here often but they aren't organic or healthy but they could be made that way by substituting ingredients. I have done it many times for people that i have cooked for with various food allergies or diets. I don't cook that way naturally although I have changed a few things in my cooking. I use evoo instead of butter in my cookies. I started using yeast and flour that is gluten free and more organic. I cook for people now that have more restrictive diets so I want to make sure they can eat it! I make my own pasta which is time consuming but it's so much better. I eat boxed pasta now and it's just not the same to me.

I will have to keep checking this thread. I like some of the organic recipes I come across but I'm more into pasta, potatoes and sauces....not so healthy
but oh so tasty.

Here is one recipe I really enjoyed from the Abs Diet. I knew someone who was on it and I loved the food in the book. My bf at the time did the diet, I cooked the food. It was really good and made with organic or natural food items. It had Fat Free ingredients but if I could find those same ones at the health food store he shopped at I got that. This is a chicken and curry recipe I loved and have since made and altered in various ways all of which are not healthy.

Not sure if it really fits in your thread but compared to my food it's super healthy

Ingredients

1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise (Add 40 calories if you use mayo, I use all yogurt)
3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2" strips
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups cooked brown rice

Directions

In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, onion, ginger, and curry powder

Place the chicken in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with the paprika and pepper. Toss until coated

In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the yogurt mixture. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Serve over the rice.

Number of Servings: 2

The link gives the fat and calories.
Abs Diet Hurry Curry

There is no reason why you can't enjoy pasta and potatoes and sauces as long as you take care. Mainly don't purchase pre-made sauces create them yourself using fresh vegetables and natural flavourings.

top topics

join