It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney Inc.: The $200M Money Machine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
azstarnet.com...< br />

Since first setting eyes on the White House, Mitt Romney and his backers have spent more than $200 million - including $44.6 million of his fortune - on a seven-year quest for the Republican presidential nomination.

A look back shows the depth of Romney's investment in trying to win the nation's highest office, how his supporters circumvented federal campaign laws with huge, back-channel donations years before he declared his candidacy, and to whom he might owe favors if he wins.

To anyone who keeps hiding their head in the sand and saying politics isn't corrupted...

Just ask yourself:

Why would a group of people spend 200 million dollars in an *attempt* to get someone into office? A job that gets paid $400,000 per year?

This is why we need to get money out of politics. They are making it blatantly obvious that money buys government policies.

I have no idea how the majority of this population can still believe that this system is working...

And I realize I am preaching to the choir here. But for John Q. Public to see a news article showing a man spending over $200 million at a shot at running for office, and not to wonder what the hell is going on, is just mind-blowing to me.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
The MSM won't even raise an eyebrow at those figures. Thus the general public will continue to be unaware of how absurd American politics are becoming. These types of activities are being promoted not condemned by many, and that's what is truly frightening.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Only 200 million over the course of 7 years? That is peanuts.

Obama raised more than triple that figure during his 2008 campaign alone. Obama raised and spent 750 million dollars in 2008.

Source : The New York Times

And together, him and Mccain spent a total of 1 billion dollars.

Source : Politico

Just as a personal note of my own :

Even if Romney got his so called "pledged" (as of yet "committed" money) from his billionaire potential backers (thanks super-pacs) he will still probably fall behind Obama by a large margin this cycle.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by nuclear12346
Only 200 million over the course of 7 years? That is peanuts.

Obama raised more than triple that figure during his 2008 campaign alone. Obama raised and spent 750 million dollars in 2008.

Source : The New York Times

And together, him and Mccain spent a total of 1 billion dollars.

Source : Politico

Just as a personal note of my own :

Even if Romney got his so called "pledged" (as of yet "committed" money) from his billionaire potential backers (thanks super-pacs) he will still probably fall behind Obama by a large margin this cycle.

My point was not to bash Romney in particular, but the system as a whole.

Obummer is just as good of an example as Romney.

All those promises and look at what he has done...

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Yes Obama raised a lot more money. People couldnt give him enough money, expecting him to keep his promises. After all he is a Nobel peace prize winner.
He offered change and hope.
Yes we can???
Can what? kick the same can down the road that bush and his cronies did?
Yes we can scam these poor dumb people, with a few more lies.
Only change we got from him, is the loose change we are left with, when `they` have scammed off the rest of our money .

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo
Obummer is just as good of an example as Romney.

All those promises and look at what he has done...

I know right?

www.politifact.com...

www.politifact.com...

Seems about even.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by illuminnaughty

You're making this an Obama issue. In effect it's trivializing the whole idea of the OP. This problem isn't about just Obama, Romney, or Bush. Me personally, I don't care about Obama's failed promises. We're here now, we'll have to deal with the cards we're dealt. I do think we definitely need to fix this or these types of policies with the special interest groups, and foreign influence is going to drive the U.S further and further away from the ideals on which it was founded upon.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GD21D
reply to post by illuminnaughty

You're making this an Obama issue. In effect it's trivializing the whole idea of the OP. This problem isn't about just Obama, Romney, or Bush. Me personally, I don't care about Obama's failed promises. We're here now, we'll have to deal with the cards we're dealt. I do think we definitely need to fix this or these types of policies with the special interest groups, and foreign influence is going to drive the U.S further and further away from the ideals on which it was founded upon.

Thank you.

I'm not trying to turn this into a candidate or party argument.

My argument is the whole damn system is flawed.

new topics

top topics

join