It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan test fires short-range ballistic missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Pakistan test fires short-range ballistic missile

www.google.com...

Pakistan said it had successfully test fired a short-range ballistic missile capable of carrying atomic warheads.

The Hatf II (Abdali) has a range of 180 kilometres (113 miles) and carries nuclear as well as conventional warheads with "high accuracy", the military said in a statement.

"It provides an operational level capability to Pakistan's strategic forces, additional to the strategic and tactical level capability which Pakistan already possesses," the statement said.

South Asian rivals India and Pakistan -- which have fought three wars since independence from Britain in 1947
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

timesofindia .indiatimes.com
edit on 5-3-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
This could be considered a routine missile test, but some may consider it as a reminder of existing tensions in the region. China, India, Russia, and Pakistan are all Nuclear powers who all have some type of distrust with one another for various reasons.

I wonder if India or China will respond with condemnation or even some tests of their own. Let's hope this doesn't escalate into something bigger.

www.google.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-3-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

this whole world is so unstable
can u realy blame pakistan and other countrys wanting to be armed
ffs id want to be armed if everyone else is
and im not slagging america off but
they are pushing to many buttons
nuclear war seems to be almost a reality nowadays
tensions are very bad
i could go on but im not going to
my trap gets me into enough trouble lol
cheers op
dave

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Sounds like they are working on upgrading their technological capabilities, but I just have to wonder if a nuclear-tipped missile with a 113 mile range is really all that practical?

I admit to near total ignorance in regards to rocket science, but seems like tossing a nuke at that short a range would just be asking for fallout, "high accuracy" or not. But then I suppose their potential enemies are near at hand.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

My guess is that this test was a warning towards India and American bases in the area. Even though India or the U.S. could easily dispose of Pakistan if they had to.

As you said, a nuclear payload at such a short distance almost seems pointless. There is a good chance that this was just a routine test, but there is also a chance that it was a subtle warning.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

Remember that some nukes can be used to hit a confined area. they are not all as devastating as it's commonly thought (reffering to whole cities being wiped out).

Take this for example: en.wikipedia.org...
Carries a nuclear warhead yet only has a range of several miles.

Whole bunch of other examples here:
en.wikipedia.org...

"Capable" of carrying a nuclear warhead doesn't suggest they will fire "the big one", especially with a range of only a few hundred miles.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
are we in some time warp? because here's a vid of the Hatf II firing off in 2010

www.youtube.com...

a footnote that is below the video states the following:

Abdali (named after Ahmad Shah Abdali, the founder of modern day Afghanistan) also designated Hatf II, is a short range ballistic missile (SRBM) developed by Pakistan....

now just why would the missile be named after the founder of modern Afghanistan?

was this test of this particular missile intended as a warning to Afghan or a welcome to the Taliban in Afghanistan.. one must consider the Pakistani already have a group of missiles named Hatf III
see:

Pakistan - Hatf III (Hatf 3) Ghaznavi Short Range Ballistic Missile ...
► 0:52► 0:52

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nzuTHpCQ0UApr 24, 2010 - 52 sec - Uploaded by PakVolunteer
Ghaznavi (Urdu: غزنوی) (named after the 11th century conqueror Mahmud of Ghazni), also designated Hatf III,

edit on 5-3-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
I wonder if India or China will respond with condemnation or even some tests of their own. Let's hope this doesn't escalate into something bigger.

I posted this story in one of my threads on 30-11-2011.

So, one should be expecting a similar missile test from India any time now
China In India's Missile Range

New Delhi risks upsetting Asia’s delicate weapons balance

Sometime over the next three months,perhaps as early as December, Indian defense officials are scheduled to test the country‘s first truly intercontinental ballistic missile, the Agni-V, which theoretically brings India’s weapons program within range of most of China.

Officials insist that India has a no-strike-first policy and that the weapons are no threat to any other country in the region. Said VK Saraswat, the chief of the Defense Research & Development Organization, the federal body that oversees the country’s indigenous arms development: “We are not looking at how many missiles China or Pakistan has. With a 'no first-use' nuclear weapons policy, we only want a sufficient number of missiles to defend the country in the event of a crisis. Ours is a defensive-mode strategy, even if others have offensive postures.”

edit on 5-3-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Also remember that Pakistan has Gawadar naval base in the Strait of hormuz which can provide easy access to naval ships to target in case war with Iran were to start. I am not saying the Pakis will necessarily help, but the possibility remains that they could seize the opportunity to create a situation where the US will run with their tail hanging between the legs (pretty much what is going on in afghan right now).

new topics

top topics

join