It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the relation between Truth and Fear....philosophically speaking.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith
reply to post by DuecesxGeneral

one who controls the truth control's the mind
I think real truth cannot be controlled as he comes from the heart.

true, but how would one know if they grew up in lies? Wouldnt the lies be the true truth, because they lived it, experienced it, felt it?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
maybe ones truth is the true truth but for someone else its false, complete lies. Like religion.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

true, but how would one know if they grew up in lies? Wouldnt the lies be the true truth, because they lived it, experienced it, felt it?
Discernment, awareness is the first reason.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DuecesxGeneral
maybe ones truth is the true truth but for someone else its false, complete lies. Like religion.

that sounds more like opinion.

truth, to me, is simply relaying what seems to be apparent in the current thought frame... even it these things turn out to be wrong and not FACT, they still seemed true at the time. Things are relevant and circumstantial so what is TRUE (or rather what is FACT) shifts and sways a lot in our dynamic reality, but truth is freely giving information that at least seems apparent and correct in the CONSCIENCE... not the egos personal will. It is rising above the need to hold back information in personal fear and greed... that is truth in my opinion.
edit on 6-3-2012 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

May be true compared to relationships between individuals in the community.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

that would mean they were living in a world where the lies would bring them comfort and safety for probably a long time
These days,No..in the past yes it use to be this way,but the comfort brought by a lie is relative and for a short period of tome.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackSatinDancer

I feel you on that. Truth is to the mind as food is to the body. That is why we keep asking why, to get the truth.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

I feel you on that. Truth is to the mind as food is to the body. That is why we keep asking why, to get the truth.

yup... all the while another part of our minds... what is back in the recesses, often tries to make us hold back on truth, in fear. I think this is what we need to make surface... we need to realize this, bringing more and more of what is in the dark recesses out into the conscience.

the subconscious is very full of fear, i think.
I believe this is how the mind can scare the complete crap out of a person, such as with a dream.
I believe there is so much fear in there, it just gets piled up and needs to surface somehow. I think sometimes it's good to be afraid... not as in making people afraid for no reason but facing fears.

forcing yourself to address these things in the conscience expands it and helps to process misunderstood fears.

maybe this is why some have horrible memories of sleep paralysis. Something inside us needs us to face fears.

causing our minds to walk the line between sleep and awake... and it is often quite scary.

it's fear in the sub pouring out into the conscience while both are very active.
edit on 6-3-2012 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed. Buddha

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.
Mark Twain

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

In matters of truth and justice, there is no difference between large and small problems, for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
Albert Einstein

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
Buddha

"What is the best type of Jihad [struggle]?" He answered: "Speaking truth before a tyrannical ruler." Riyadh us-Saleheen

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong.
Thomas Jefferson

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

edit on 6-3-2012 by DuecesxGeneral because: delete -doubble post

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Hard to get the truth,even harder to understand it.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

The truth is beyond the mind so will never be understood by the human mind.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Fear is the anticipation of pain, truth is a statement which is true 'in itself', for example 'all bachelors are single men' - this must be true because a bachelor by definition is a single man. - That is called 'a priori' knowledge.

Posteriori knowledge is that gained from personal experience, which some argue cannot ever be considered 'true' because our senses tend to trick us. This is the fundamental problem you are talking about, you hale 'truth' as some sort of elusive figure which no one can find, in actuality it is all around you, it is you. People fear the truth for one reason and one reason only : anticipation of pain. The skill of critical thinking and reasoned arguments is fundamental to overcoming this fear, reason and logic bypass the fear of pain and therefore allow us to discover or at least acknowledge the truth, simple.
edit on 6-3-2012 by TruthIncarnate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
Fear is caused by not 'knowing' the truth, the truth shall set you free.
There is only one truth.
The truth can not be told but it can be known.

last year i remember watching a movie, it was about a teenage girl that becomes deaf and a mute after losing her family in horrible car accident, she moves in with a her fathers friends family and eventually learns a horrible truth about her fathers friend. around the climax its revealed that she was just acting to have been a mute, after opening her mouth to the family and telling them the truth, it seemed, instead of setting them free, the truth devastates the family and results in the death of the girls fathers friend. in the climax she said, 'the truth doesn't always set you free, but lies protect you. interesting philosophy non the less.

edit on 6-3-2012 by coirener because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2012 by coirener because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I tend to interpret truth as any primary statement or provable heuristic, which the use of, also enables secondary statements, rules, or functions to demonstrably work.

That might sound as though I'm a relativist, and that I don't believe in absolutes. That isn't actually true. There are things which work 100% (or close to 100%) of the time, but I tend to refer to those as generalisations, rather than absolutes. The main reason why is because an absolute does not tend to require proof in the minds of those who adhere to it, whereas to me at least, the word generalisation implies that, even though something may even be true 97-98% of the time, testing in order to determine whether or not it applies THIS time, can still be beneficial.

A good example is the expression that 1 + 1 = 2. The only way that I can verify that this expression is true, in functional terms, is that I know that 1 + 1 (2) + 1 = 3, which can in turn be verified by involving 3 in other expressions. Mathematicians have tried to discover in longer terms, the reason why 1 + 1 = 2, and have literally rendered themselves schizophrenic by doing so.

For myself, I do not need to know in absolute terms, why or how 1 + 1 = 2. My confidence that it is true, is derived from my ability to perform further operations on the basis of it, and have those also work, as far as my ability to consistently produce a desired result is concerned.

The fact that I think like this, is also the reason why I am able to believe in the existence of certain things which atheists do not. For me to accept that A + B = C, it is not always necessary (at least in preliminary or prototyping terms) for me to know what the quantity of B is, or even necessarily to understand the addition process itself. If I can observe the effect of C, then initially that will be enough.

If I want to learn to consistently or reliably reproduce C, then yes, obviously I'm going to want to understand the process. But probably the single greatest mistake which mainstream logicians/thinkers seem to make, in my view, is the assumption that if the process of generating effect C cannot immediately be understood, then effect C by definition cannot exist.

So there is a catch-22, which prohibits exploration.
edit on 6-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

The truth is beyond the mind so will never be understood by the human mind.
Truth has been created for human mind.

Not for other creatures as we are the only one with awareness on this planet.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

The main reason why is because an absolute does not tend to require proof in the minds of those who adhere to it, whereas to me at least, the word generalisation implies that, even though something may even be true 97-98% of the time, testing in order to determine whether or not it applies THIS time, can still be beneficial.
Ooops ,there are real programs to check the validity of a text or group(s) of texts and they are used on large scale to determine certain things.

So,doesn't matter what we think because any way is controlled.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

There is only 'one' awareness and that 'one awareness' is the truth.
That truth can not be spoken.

edit on 6-3-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

The human mind can only conceptulize and concepulization is not the truth.
It is only the human mind that seeks truth.
edit on 6-3-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith
Ooops ,there are real programs to check the validity of a text or group(s) of texts and they are used on large scale to determine certain things.

How do they check it? They can only do so by comparing it with something else.

No truth exists in a vacuum.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join