It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FireFox disconecting from Google - Help Please! :)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Google is my homepage. I get inline in the morning and Google 'works' for about 5-6 links - then - FireFox disconnects from Google and I get the 'Server not found' notice.

How do I fix it now? I disconnect from the internet, reconnect and poof! Google is back. BUT - this is reallllly irritating.

Any suggestions? I've not found anything recent online that helps. I've the most recent version of FF.

ADDED NOTE Only Google is effected by this. No other search engine and I do not lose connection to the internet.

Once FireFox drops the connection to Google I can still use any other page in my bookmark, dogpile, whatever.

I change my homepage to something else? It never gets disconnected. ONLY USING GOOGLE results in this problem.

peace and thanks in advance!
edit on 5-3-2012 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Well that points to everything except firefox.

Have you tried another browser just to check it's not your router/modem/network card?

Do you have an Nvidia based motherboard or NIC by any chance??

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

completely get rid of FireFox

You already answered your own question.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
reply to post by silo13

Well that points to everything except firefox.

Have you tried another browser just to check it's not your router/modem/network card?

What they said.
If you are on a wireless network or router that's beat, it would cause the same thing. Don't blame FF, I think the problem lies with either the modem, router, or any hardware associated with internet connection. Firefox is old faithful, replace that browser as a last resort.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Firefox isn't your problem. You'll have the same result with Internet Explorer. Its a connection issue.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Firefox is old faithful, replace that browser as a last resort.

That's why I want to stay with it - but...

Added note: I'm not using wireless here - and - I would agree it might be the router/etc but but when everything works but Google? Meaning - once FF either drops or looses it's connection to Google - it doesn't stop any other page I have in my bookmark - Only Google is effected. If I change my homepage to Dogpile I never lose Dogpile. ONLY GOOGLE IS EFFECTED.

Just sayin. Only Google. So it's not a connection issue.

peace
edit on 5-3-2012 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I have similar issues, and my only fix is to either reboot my modem or simply stop using Google, one of the most invasive search engines I've ever known.

My best advice is to start using either
Ixquick
or
Startingpage

the first is insanely secure
the second actually does a google search while blocking your private info

I hope this helps you

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Maybe firefox doesnt like Googles new rules, so it opts out of Google for you...its trying to protect your privacy

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

It could be Google interacting with some other software.

Do you have SuperAntiSpyware? www.superantispyware.com...
It's a free program and removes almost all spyware/malware on your system. I love that little program more than any Norton Antivirus I've owned.
If that fails, maybe try uninstalling, then reinstalling Firefox.

And if all those fail, I'd suggest restoring your system to a previous point before those issues.
Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore.

When all of those fail, I reinstall Windows.

edit on 5-3-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
reply to post by silo13

Those are also very good points, I contracted for them and their nForce chipsets were junk along with all the network chipsets too. The networking under Windows 7 (especially 64-bit) would just lose connection for no reason.

A reliable network adapter is cheap these days.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
ive been having problems to for the last 30 hours . i use a plug in dongle but its been acting up thought it was just me

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

SuperAntiSpyware works better than Nortons or McAfee IMHO. Nortons and McAfee will let certain things in, almost like an invite and Super gets rid of them!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

I love SuperAntiSpyware and use it almost every evening before I shut down. GREAT STUFF! Like you I'd urge it on ANY user!

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

I have similar issues, and my only fix is to either reboot my modem or simply stop using Google, one of the most invasive search engines I've ever known.

Since I don't loose connection to anything but Google I'd have to agree the choice is dump Google or FireFox.

I tried Ixquick when it first came out - maybe it's time to go back!

Thanks

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
You really have to take a few logical steps to troubleshoot problems like this. Just picking a suggested solution without testing first is totally hit and miss.

If the problem has only just started then its unlikely to be a problem with your hardware (chipsets etc).

It could be some nasty program that has attached itself you your browser. I use Hijackthis to identify and get rid of Browser Helper Object infections but its a bit technical if you dont know how to use it. So..

- Use Internet explorer and see is you get the same problem.
- If you dont get the same problem. Try re-installing firefox.
- If you do get the same problem its not a Firefox problem.

If problem still persists then tray a different anti-spyware to see if theres something that your current software has missed. Relying on just one anti-spyware is a VERY bad idea because they all have their own weaknesses and vulnerabilities. There are many free online scanners that you can use from all the major anti-spyware manufactures. You dont have to install anything just go to the site and scan.

If you identify an infection you can then search for info on how to get rid of it more effectively.

-PhoenixOD (MCTS)

edit on 5-3-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Just a quick note about SuperAntispyware i decided to download it and give it a blast to see if there was anything on my computer it could pick up and it identified 2 programs as being trojans called Trojan.Agent/Gen-Cryptor[Egun]

The only problem is they were graphics editing programs i had written myself in Visual basic. Definitely NOT trojans! So beware of false positives with this program.

edit on 5-3-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Thanks for the info!

Follow up:

The problem does not replicate in IE but I refuse to use IE.

The problem does not replicate when using another web search program - only Google.

So! It's a FireFox - Google thing.

Bye Bye Google! Hellooooo IxQuick and Dogpile!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

peace

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Glad you got a solution!

But I'm still curious, did you try startingpage too? Did it work?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

You got me! Just coming back to add I've hand NO problem with either browsers.

FireFox gets along swimmingly with everything but Google.

Doesn't matter which one of the two browsers - they both work great - but switch back to Google? WHAM! FireFox can't find the connection.

It pisses me off in a way - meaning - I don't like FireFox 'censoring' which browser I choose to use. I'll have to think on that one a bit.

Thanks again - peace

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

You got me! Just coming back to add I've hand NO problem with either browsers.

FireFox gets along swimmingly with everything but Google.

Doesn't matter which one of the two browsers - they both work great - but switch back to Google? WHAM! FireFox can't find the connection.

It pisses me off in a way - meaning - I don't like FireFox 'censoring' which browser I choose to use. I'll have to think on that one a bit.

Thanks again - peace

That's good to know! I'm not so sure it's Firefox censoring Google tho, maybe more Google is now trying new invasive things that FF always had blocked for your safety, that is why I asked about startingpage. It gives you the same results as Google without the prostate exam.

Glad you didn't have to reinstall your entire operating system.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join