It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese Livermore Man’s Plea For Help Goes Viral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

LIVERMORE (CBS 5) — A 700-pound Livermore man’s plea for help to lose weight has become a viral sensation on YouTube in less than 24 hours.

Robert Gibbs, who turned 23 on Friday, said he is a prisoner in his own body.

“I spend most of my days right here, watching TV.” Gibbs said from his couch. “I have to slide forward to get off this couch. I’m just trapped, and there’s no way out.”

Obese Livermore Man’s Plea For Help Goes Viral

Wow, 700 pounds. He says he's diabetic, but I thought that weight could cause diabetes, not the other way around. Pretty good thinking to take it to YouTube. I hope he gets some help, but he's going to have to help himself, first. He can't expect anyone to do it for him, and he a long row to hoe ahead of him. Hope his heart's in it because he has years of hard work. But at 23 he has time.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

That's the whole problem - he CAN'T change - until he WANTS to change... Well, unless someone dumps him in the middle of the jungle and leaves him there - which might not be such ab ad idea.

Hey - he wants to buy a ticket and come here to Sicily I'll work that weight off him. He'll eat only natural food (he can start out by weeding that isn't too taxing on the body). He'll drink only water or green tea as I do and NO processed food at all. None. Sweetener? Honey. Bread? Every day but whole grain and in small amounts. He doesn't work - he doesn't eat.

No television. No internet for him until he can climb the ladder to my loft to get to it and then maybe even not.

Yep - VEGETABLES AND FRUIT - a little rabbit once in a while (almost fat free) and a hard task mistress - that's all he needs!

Sounds good?

Problem is he'd probably kill himself within the week. I almost do weekly. All I have to do is think about a nice rich greasy fat dripping cheeeesy burger and I'm ready to slit my wrists.

Good Luck to him - and you too Old American!

peace

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Here's an idea... Eat celery, drink water, start moving.

Not everyone has the dedication to maintain a perfect body, but it takes almost as much dedication to let oneself weigh as much as a small car.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

He is on disability and may suffer from depression. To save money and feed his food addiction, Gibbs often eats fast food.

Think I just puked a little in my mouth... To save money you eat fast food? Attention W**** much?

Can anyone say "I need help and im to lazy to help myself, someone pay me to get skinny"

I would not fault him for having some sort of disease but this is plain and simple cry baby stuff. You eat yourself into a state of no return and expect people to feel sorry for you? What a loser hope he dies choking on a cheeseburger.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I really have to ask this: Is fast-food, as mentioned in the linked article, really as cheap as that an unemployed person could eat TONS of that stuff to get SO FAT?!

Sorry, in Germany the price for fast-food alone is high enough to keep me from eating there. It's a "luxury", of course not for the offered meals but for the price..

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

He has asked for help, that means he is not able to do it by himself. Good on him for asking and I hope that he gets the help he needs and has a healthier happier quality of life.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
I really have to ask this: Is fast-food, as mentioned in the linked article, really as cheap as that an unemployed person could eat TONS of that stuff to get SO FAT?!

Sorry, in Germany the price for fast-food alone is high enough to keep me from eating there. It's a "luxury", of course not for the offered meals but for the price..

Not really. One can spend $7-8 on a fast food meal that will only fill you up for a few hours, or spend $30-40 and eat fresh food all week.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Fast Food sure isn't all he'd have to be eating, but it's actually cheaper than most cooked meals at home. I'm out at least $10 in meat, buns and other supplies for a couple hamburgers and good ingredients or I can go get fast food garbage at 2 burgers for a buck. Well... Hmm.. Sometimes economy over-rules good sense and fat...err...fast food wins out.

I WISH fast food came at a price that made it a treat or a luxury. We'd have less folks with severe weight issues. It's still no excuse and a self contol issue for almost all, but economics here work against eating healthy. Heck, to be honest, it's REAL expensive if one were to be shopping for things that are truly healthy. It's sad..but there it is.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Yep he needs to eat all natural organic and sprouted grains breads and you don;t need to starve and in fact you can eat well and much more then most think. The liver is too busy processing all the chemicals in the modern super market/fast food diet so it just stores the fat. Everyone is different but obesity is epidemic and this is why! Tell him to watch this video:

www.youtube.com...

edit on 5-3-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I've had a dilemma with my weight since october last year. I'm off sick and waiting to have a diagnoses to say I can have new hips. I'M 49. I have eaten healthy all my life and every day I cook from fresh. But the point I want to make is that, because i'm so limited with moving around and walking, I have gained 2 and a half stone since october.
So even though I eat veg, fruit and I dont eat junk food, I have still gained weight.
So al in all, moving about, going to work, doing daily activities is a must to controlling fat gain.
I have always watched my weight and have had a cut off point that I would never go beyond.
But when you are inactive, control goes out of the window.
I have also noticed how boredom encourages you to eat. That has been my constant problem since I have been off sick.
So I can understand how these people attain so much weight but I can't understand that if they are fit before this weight gain, why have they alowed themselves to get this far.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I will probably get flamed for this, but it wouldnt be the first time and it wont be the last time.

Things like this really piss me off. He wants to cry for help now? First off all, if you eat nothing but "fast food" what did you really expect?? Dont give me the "it's cheaper" line of BS because that is simply not true. When I tighten the belt on my budget, the first thing I cut out is fast food of any kind. It is much cheaper to make my meals at home.

Going beyond that... this man did not just wake up one day and find himself at 700 pounds. At some point, you knew this was a problem. What happened at 300? What happened at 400? What about 500? At 600 pounds? Were you still thinking, "Oh I can just jog 10 minutes a day and take the weight right off"? Obviously not. At some point, much sooner, you knew you had a weight problem and you continued to eat yourself into a big lumpy pile of flesh. Now that you can barely move, your health is crap, and you work up a sweat sliding off the couch you been molded to for the last 8 years... NOW you want to ask someone else to help get you out of the mess you created for yourself?? Is someone really going to tell me that at 300 pounds he did not, at any point in time, think to himself, "Wow I am really putting on weight, and I eat only fast food, maybe I should cut back on this stuff."?

OK, so fine... now he is asking for help. Great. I am for helping him, but that help really needs to come with some psychiatric help and maybe a life coach who can teach him how to make better choices regarding what he puts into his body, and he damn well better attack this help with the same enthusiasm that he attacked his meals from McDonald's for all those years.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Fast food... It's neither fast nor food. It's expensive and all it is realistically, is flavour.

I rarely ever eat anything from an outlet. We were running late after an appointment the other day and on the way home decided to get some kfc for dinner, 2 boxes of 3 pieces with chips.... $15 and it took about 5 minutes.

I ended up regurgitating it. Once the initial salivation had gone, all that was left was grease, and disgusting thoughts..

My point is, he's full of it. If he wanted to buy cheap, then rice would easily keep him eating all day long and all week long. Not healthy, but he was after flavour, not cost efficiency.

I try hard to eat healthy, lots of vegetables, home made everything and I still battle with weight. As someone above said, boredom does play a big part in tricking us into eating more than our bodies need.

I honestly have no idea how someone can get to the level of obesity he has, I'd most likely have jumped off a cliff long before that had I simply had no control over it...

But then, 30 years ago I'd probably say the same thing about my weight now. I guess, unless we've been there it's easy to judge..

Either way, good luck to him. He'll need it.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

In fact, you have to eat well. Not diet, or starve. You have to change the food substance to live organic and real vitamins, some times you have eliminate wheat, or certain items, that are reacting poorly. Dieting creates a change in metabolism for the body goes into survival mode and clings to food, so that you gain it back and more.

Most people just gain it back because their bodies now require less calories.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm pleased to see that he has gotten some people really interested in helping him. This video response was good, a person who is speaking of a lifestyle change and natural food, and he shares the same birthday as Robert, and wishes to stay in touch and even make videos with him.

VIDEO RESPONSE TO ROBERT
edit on 5-3-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
That massive weight is a death sentence.The human heart just cant handle that kind of strain.Being only 23 years old he still has some time to change his eating habits but i wouldnt wait if i were him.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I dont care how old he is or how much he weighs, This guy is finally taking abit of personal responsibility for his body and if he wants help then lets give him the help! Whats the other option? Tell him there's no hope and let him eat himself to death? Have a fking heart, be a human being. Its not you that has to loose the weight, they're no hard work involved for any spectators but it doesnt take much effort to give him a kind word of encouragement. He might even inspire others to do the same.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
While this guys weight is shocking and repulsive, at least he finally has seemingly come to his senses. I hope he can make the change, but it won't be easy. When people get that big, it's not as simple as it is for someone who is "just" 300 lbs.

This guy is a living, breathing TOXIC DUMP. If he just started eating raw fruits and veggies all of a sudden, he is going to go through a MASSIVE detox, and would suffer major withdrawal symptoms that could KILL him. Those toxins are going to get released and going to be flowing through his system hard, if he does this too much too soon. The key is a gradual change in diet and eventually, he'll be able to get up and move around and then go from there. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as "stop eatin' fatty" like some of you think it is.

I do wonder how someone allows themselves to get that big though.... I am disgusted with myself for putting on 20 lbs from being an alcoholic, even though i'm still leaner and fitter than the average American in my age group. You'd think at 400 lbs someone would say enough is enough. I don't have a problem with people being obese, if they are happy with it and that's what they choose. Hell, I like my women "fluffy", But 700 lbs is ridiculous.

Thing is, is this guy has people around him that continue to enable him, how else would he get these foods if he can't even move??? Part of this is his families or whoever is taking care of him fault. If he really wants to change, he should slowly lessen the amount of food taken in, gradually introduce fresher more wholesome foods until his body can handle it. Good Luck guy

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by hawkiye

In fact, you have to eat well. Not diet, or starve. You have to change the food substance to live organic and real vitamins, some times you have eliminate wheat, or certain items, that are reacting poorly. Dieting creates a change in metabolism for the body goes into survival mode and clings to food, so that you gain it back and more.

Most people just gain it back because their bodies now require less calories.

Yeas that is correct. If your eating the right natural foods and not loosing its because your not eating enough and the body is in starvation mode trying to conserve energy by storing fat. Even Whole grain organic wheat turns to sugar in the body better to sprout if first or use spelt or millet instead. Eating this way you will detox naturally and slowly and lose excess weight gradually.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I can't comprehend how people can let themself go like that? Seriously, how? If I was even 50 pounds overweight I would shudder looking at the mirror. Yipes.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I don't know his case, ie I do know there are a few who eat more, and some overweight that eat hardly anything. Metabolism is greatly affected by a diabetes, and everyone's body type is different. There are other toxins too.

He seems to have a health problem.

Also I don't recommend dieting over changing what he's eating, to healthy non organic, non GMO, whole food diet, unless he is consuming huge amounts of food.

I don't know how he can eat junk food with diabetes as he said he did. Because that is loaded in the bad of salt, and sugars usually.

He needs real food, and the kind that is disappearing, ie. real fats, certified organic butter, and coconut oil, and to make a permanent change.

He also needs pau d'arco tea, a couple cups a day, iodine, once he's cut out the bad salt, and sea salt and a variety of things that detox.

But he needs to work within the medical conditions of his diabetes as well and should visit a naturapth in addition to his doctor.

A winter lamp, light therapy for energy, and sit in the park and get sunlight in the corners of eyes whenever it is out, as much as possible.

Drink purified water.

The Cause and Removal of Disease V 2.0

Detox and eliminate.

Vit C 3 grams and 1500 mcg's of iodine, comparative to asian diet, boost metabolism as well.

But I don't know what his salt levels are and also, what he needs with diabetes, he must be tested regularly, and do things gradually to improve. But I'd also consult a naturalpath with the doctor and bring this up, do my own research.

I would also do meditation, seek life purpose, connection to Greater Soul/Source, and even learn to do or aquire hynoptherapy for connecting to Higher Self. Learn to do it himself if necessary and record his own voice.
Spontaneous healing does occur and can, trying to learn the lesson even if he's not overeating, the thing behind the difficulty, what he came to do, and then trying to move beyond it.

He has to be careful with excercise, do it gradually.

And lots of energy sent to him, prayers, healing energy bubbles. We can affect each other long distance and send positivity to people. And ask our Higher Selves to help others too and speak to their Higher Selves, and pray for others to Source.

edit on 8-3-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join