It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well, I had a mild heart attack tonight...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I'm home now resting. I'm only 45 years old. Pretty good health, a bit overweight, cholesterol a bit elevated, but other than that good blood pressure (110/70), good heart rate in the 65-70 range. Then out of no where, I'm sitting at work and it was like out of a movie: chest started to tighten, hard to breathe, my left arm started going numb, then excruciating pain in my chest and I dropped like a rock.

They let me go home because the pain had gone away and my EKG showed normal. Doc said "that only tells us you're not having a heart attack now". I have to go for a stress test in the next couple days, and I guess I'll have to change my diet...bleh. They'll tell me to cut out the salt, but I don't put salt in anything I cook! I'll probably have to learn to like chicken breast and baked fish...

Anyway, if it could happen to me, someone in relatively good condition, relatively young, with no history of heart problems (other than family history), it could happen to you. If you're my age get yourself checked out! Don't take any chances on your health...your body is the only one you've got!

/TOA

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
How shocking that must have been for you. Scary too. Looking at some changes, challenging. You are young and it sounds like it was mild, so maybe this is a wake-up call. Help you change your life so you can be around for many many more years. (have a hug)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Glad you're okay now though.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
You sure it was a heart attack at the time you dropped?
Are you eating crap from Walmart? GMOs? Monsanto goodness? Smoke? Drink?

Could be a lot of things, but in any case, it's good that you're still alive and telling your story. Eat organic foods and don't go too crazy on the boiled chicken.

I'd like to know what might have led to that incident, I'm kind of close to your age and I'd like to not get to that point myself. Any unusual foods eaten that day you weren't use to?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Doc said "that only tells us you're not having a heart attack now"

how did they diagnose, it was a heart attack ? how many percent of the heart muscle died ?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
How shocking that must have been for you. Scary too. Looking at some changes, challenging. You are young and it sounds like it was mild, so maybe this is a wake-up call. Help you change your life so you can be around for many many more years. (have a hug)

Quite scary! And definitely a wake-up call. I have a 14 year old son that I have to be around for. I can't take for granted that my body is going just do what I want it to!

Thanks for the hug!

/TOA

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
You sure it was a heart attack at the time you dropped?
Are you eating crap from Walmart? GMOs? Monsanto goodness? Smoke? Drink?

Could be a lot of things, but in any case, it's good that you're still alive and telling your story. Eat organic foods and don't go too crazy on the boiled chicken.

I'd like to know what might have led to that incident, I'm kind of close to your age and I'd like to not get to that point myself. Any unusual foods eaten that day you weren't use to?

It's suspected right now, though the doc said a stress test will be the deciding vote. He thinks it was due to the symptoms, but just plain stress is not being ruled out. It's about an 80% odds that it was my ticker. I don't eat any of those things. I do loves me a burger pretty often, but more often than not I cook my meals at home (I like cooking from scratch). I don't smoke or drink, and never have.

I've been under some pretty heavy stress lately, but I usually handle stress well. Though I'm not Superman, so maybe it's just caught up with me.!

/TOA

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack

Doc said "that only tells us you're not having a heart attack now"

how did they diagnose, it was a heart attack ? how many percent of the heart muscle died ?

I have no idea. They did blood work, and EKGs, so I guess that tells them what they need to know. They both showed some signs (whatever those signs are...I think the blood usually shows some tell-tale enzymes maybe?). Doc said a stress test should bear it out, though.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Glad you're home and feeling better.

Take care of you You!

peace

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
They definitely are not fun. Hope your okay. When I thought I had mine, they said it was a panic attack. But, I wasn't stressed out. I was shooting pool when I had the feeling. So, who knows. I just know I couldn't talk or breathe when it happened. Scary feeling.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
So glad you are home and resting. TAKE IT EASY. Let us know how you're feeling in a couple days!

Hope you didn't get Nurse Diesel!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hope4TheBest
So glad you are home and resting. TAKE IT EASY. Let us know how you're feeling in a couple days!

Hope you didn't get Nurse Diesel!

Quite the opposite. My wife kept thumping me on my forehead because I was looking at the nurse

/TOA
edit on 5-3-2012 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

I do loves me a burger pretty often, but more often than not I cook my meals at home (I like cooking from scratch). I don't smoke or drink, and never have.

How "often" do you love your burgers? Once, twice, thrice per week?
Cooking from scratch is the best you can do. Burgers (red fatty dyed meats) plus stress could have given you an early warning alarm. The fats clog those arteries and the blood flow pressure from stress on a semi clogged pipe can cause what you felt.

Maybe some alcohol wouldn't be a bad idea. It can thin the blood and reduce stress, in small amounts. No Schnapps, no sugar booze, some wine, a nice Vodka, Whiskey, or foods with vinegar will thin that blood and reduce the chances for recurrence.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

I hope you get well soon.
I turned 40 not long ago. I smoke, drink and eat crap food way too much
sometimes I do all three for breakfast.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Wow, scary! So glad you are home. I wish you all the best. Tests will reveal more and you can keep us up-dated. Good luck!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The medical society has done the population a huge disfavor by painting that lifestyle is what causes heart attacks.

A lot of it is hereditary.Period.

Look at David Letterman.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
The medical society has done the population a huge disfavor by painting that lifestyle is what causes heart attacks.

A lot of it is hereditary.Period.

Look at David Letterman.

Well, painting it as the only cause is very misleading. They don't deny that genetics play a part in it. But they do put focus on risk factors that we can control to reduce heart attacks. Nothing can really be done about genetics, but smoking, fried foods, and a sedentary lifestyle are completely controllable by individuals.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
They didn't use the paddles?

Wake me when they use the paddles.

Also, couldn't help noticing you don't like chicken breast meat? Damn, that's all you get here in the UK, unless you buy a whole chicken or go to KFC.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Electrolytes are very important in heart function

Electrolytes are electrically charged molecules that are integral to many of the body's processes. Electrolytes are particularly important to the heart, both in the transmission of the signal that maintains heart rate, as well as in the contraction of the cardiac muscle. Certain electrolyte abnormalities can produce irregular heart rhythms, which can cause symptoms of heart disease, including heart or chest pain. The most important electrolytes for heart function are potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium. Read more: www.livestrong.com...

www.livestrong.com...

new topics

top topics

join