It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oceans Turning Acidic Faster than Past 300 Million Years!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

The oceans are becoming more acidic faster than they have in the past 300 million years, a period that includes four mass extinctions, researchers have found.

Then, as is happening now, increases in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere warmed the planet and made the oceans more acidic. These changes are associated with major shifts in climate and mass extinctions.

But while past increases in the atmosphere's carbon dioxide levels resulted from volcanoes and other natural causes, today that spike is due to human activities, the scientists note.

www.livescience.com

Just came across this very enlightening and interesting article and wanted to share it to see where everyone stands on this subject and make known what this study has found.

They end the article with this statement that I personally find alarming -

"The current rate of (mainly fossil fuel) carbon dioxide release stands out as capable of driving a combination and magnitude of ocean geochemical changes potentially unparalleled in at least the last 300 million years of Earth history, raising the possibility that we are entering an unknown territory of marine ecosystem change," the researchers conclude in their paper.

I know that "global warming" has been a fairly controversial subject over the last couple of years,Personally I believe it is better defined as 'climate change' and believe it is in all probability cyclic.

I am willing to theorize that the human based increase of co2 admission increases could be acting as a catalyst in bringing some of the changes we have been seeing in our climate at possibly an unnatural rate,I remain open-minded at least to the possibility and leave it at that.

What this article has to say I have to admit is quite alarming,albeit even if a natural occurrence for our planet,Their research is showing a increase of the oceans acidity at least 10 times faster than it did 56 million years ago.

With everything that has been going on with our planet the last couple of years,Mass animal deaths,the steadily increased melting of the poles,ice bergs etc. rumors & theories of the sun acting up...

I have to sit back and wonder just what exactly is going on or if anything at all...that what we are experiencing is completely normal or worse case scenario it is only a natural cyclic transition or period that we may be speeding up with our carbon signatures increase over the years coming to a crescendo.

What do you think is really going on with Earth?
is it all just a natural period for mother earth and there's nothing to worry about?

Or...

What is happening with our planet is possibly abnormal for unknown reasons at this time and heading towards imminent destruction or life as we know it?

Are we playing any part in all of this?

Just last year I read this article - Is Earth due for a mass extinction? and could not help but wonder if this were not the case.

Are we heading towards a ELE and/or entering a extinction level period?

Some scientists would have us believe that is the case and that we are definitely over due for one.

What I do know is that I love this planet and with the continued space searching with our telescopes it becomes even more apparent just what kind of miraculous gem of a planet we all call home truly is,even if there are similar like worlds out there...

We have an incredibly beautiful home with so much biodiversity,possibility and opportunity....I would hate to take everything we have for granted by destroying the only home we have ever had ( depending on who you ask of course
)

Our existence alone is a miracle IMO,we need to cherish it,along with mother Earth.

I look forward to your response.

edit on 5-3-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

is it all just a natural period for mother earth and there's nothing to worry about?

I think this is more propaganda fear mongering geared toward brainwashing people into believing "man made" technologies using fossil fuels are causing all these climate changes.

I think we are past that nonsense in 2012, those still holding on to mainstream BS are not very confident in their own research. Try to stray away from mainstream corporate research funded by the gangs making a profit off the illusion.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
they've been monitoring it for how many years?
yeah, that's what i thought.

I'm not trying to deny they are turning acidic pretty fast, because THEY ARE.
But it's unscientific to claim the past 300 million years. 300 years? I'd buy that. million, yeah, fake science article.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I think we've been f*%@#ing the earth far too long. Something along these lines was bound to happen eventually.

I cant help think of all the people who live on the coast and how different food support structures would have to change if this led to a decrease in fish populations.

The fact that it's gas too that they think might have caused it pisses me off too...

If some fatass from texas helped put the world more into starvation for a buck then i think they should all get hanged.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

I think this is more propaganda fear mongering geared toward brainwashing people into believing "man made" technologies using fossil fuels are causing all these climate changes.

I think we are past that nonsense in 2012.

The majority, or mainstream, still think our man-made technologies can't hurt the environment. The truth is they have obliterated our environment.
Our actions do have consequences.

Jibby, it's clear you don't know much about propaganda, and consider anything you disagree with as propaganda.
There's 2 types of propaganda, rational and emotional. Rational propaganda is good....it's the emotional propaganda that's bad.
Most of the propaganda about the environment is rational propaganda.

It's true that we've been destroying our environment. That isn't propaganda in any form, it's a fact.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

and the hangover's gunna be a bitch.
love it
edit on 5-3-2012 by openeyeswideshut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Maybe you are right or maybe there is some truth to what they say?...Either way, I have to say this- I believe regardless that something is a brewing on ole mother Earth and the recipe is for disaster...eventually,even if incrementally.

We can only keep screwing with our environment for so long until we start seeing repercussions,we will and are seeing those repercussions...slowly but surely.

A pot of water boiling eventually has to over flow.

We are destroying this planet.

I do not think 2012 has anything to do with 'climate change' or the polar ice caps melting or fracking.
I think that will continue past 2012,come on,you gotta do better than that.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

it's clear you don't know much about propaganda, and consider anything you disagree with as propaganda. There's 2 types of propaganda, rational and emotional.
Rational propaganda is good....it's the emotional propaganda that's bad. Most of the propaganda about the environment is rational propaganda.

I'm fluent in propaganda, or what it use to be called, BS.
I have no stake in the outcome, so I'm not emotionally involved in this topic.

We are insignificant compared to the sun when it comes to affecting the Earth. Yes we make a mess, and that does affect the "nearby" surroundings, but all that pollution going on 100 miles from me has little to no effect on me or my neighbors. It's localized pollution.

What we are doing to our skies on the other hand... greatly effects our lives and the plant life. Contrails - chemtrails, whatever you call them, they are artificially altering what nature intended for that particular day as far as photosynthesis and the picnic in the park, not to mention good old vitamin D. It's unnatural, it lingers too long, and it's not nature approved.

If you want to follow Al Gore's philosophy into the 7th ring of ridiculousness, enjoy yourselves, but whatever "they" are telling me is wrong, is usually incorrect. If 70% of the gov't agencies lies, why should I trust the other 30%? I''m all set with hockey stick graphs.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectPerception

"...capable of... ...potentially unparalleled..., ...raising the possibility... ...an unknown territory...

Can the capable possibility of an unknown potentiality be considered absolute fact?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

I see what you did there,sly dog you

My answer to that is absolutely not...It is a possibility though...time will tell.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

Whatever the cause, this is an important heads-up.

....If people do not wake up, inform themselves and start planning for themselves - we all will be herded like sheep while the Usual Suspects make all the decisions regarding our health and future. Seriously dumb to blow it off, imho.

F&S&

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Let's stop the fearmongering, shall we?

The oceans are normally slightly alkaline and it would take an awful lot to turn them acidic. So they are not acidifying--they are slightly less basic. There's huge difference there, huge.

Also, they ignore the role of carbonic acid as a buffer--it's called carbonate buffering. Rainwater has a natural pH of 5.5--slightly acidic. It hasn't killed us yet.

Sheesh.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
If the earth was billions, no, millions of years old the sea would be a chemical soup unable to support life, and that is just through natural cycles, eg the carbon cycle, sulphur cycles et al, influx of minerals entrained by rivers off continental shelves, volcanic activity above and below the surface.. Black smokers at mid oceanic rifts also pump millions of tons of polutants from the earths interior an hour.. So please.. This is an age thing
edit on 5-3-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2012 by EvanB because: damn typos!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HappyBunny

no fear mongering on my part only forwarding this article to others.
if what they are saying is absolutely,irrefutably true then there is cause for concern...natural or not. period.

We may not see the repercussions next week sure but eventually not too far down the line this could be pointing towards something that could effect humanity,one way or another....not blow it off and ignore it like know it all fools.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
You know, I don't believe in man made global warming. I think it's climate change, natural cyles that have come and gone. However I do think we are participating in the destruction of our oceans and our ecosystem in general.

Just look at the Great Garbage patches in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, that surely contributes to many of the problems we are seeing in our oceans.

Same with our nuclear waste, general trash and the multitude of other ways that we are destroying the environment on a yearly basis.

It makes no sense to discount this evidence as a factor in the overall changing of our climate and geographical landscape.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

The oceans are becoming more acidic faster than they have in the past 300 million years

Well then that can't be attributed to CO2 since CO2 levels have been far higher during that period

Also wouldn't the Chalk/Limestone originating in the Oceans prevent such Acidification

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Here we go again,

with the global warming crap.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Its funny how you can chalk it up to natural cycles and still not be worried ?
Even if this is a natural cycle the ocean becoming more acidic is nothing to laugh about
it can wreck havoc on are already poisoned ocean ecosystem as it has already
It causes hypoxia in the shallower regions of the coast which is probably responsible for mass fish deaths
It has caused the population of jellyfish to explode which has crippled japans commercial fishing
not something to shrug off because its natural it effects everyone take a few links out of the food chain and it could spell disaster

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Anybody stop to ask themselves how these supposed scientists know what went on 300 million years ago? Seriously, were they there? Is there fossil evidence to support what they say? What acid exactly is produced by CO2 in sea water?

The answers to these questions may give some indication of just how much baloney these scientists are promoting.

First they don't know what went on 300 million years ago. There's no way they could know how fast the oceans acidified 300 million or even a million years ago. Fossil evidence wouldn't show that. The fossil evidence may show that the oceans acidified but not how fast.

As a long time aquarist I know that CO2 actually dissolves in water as a gas. The last I knew it stays that way. If somebody knows different please clue me in.

This is just more propoganda for the global warming crowd. Here's a thought for those people who believe in global warming. Mars atmosphere is mostly CO2, so how come it's not warmer? It's well within the life zone around the sun. If CO2 is such a wonderful greenhouse gas why isn't Mars warmer?
edit on 3/5/2012 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

I think we are past that nonsense in 2012, those still holding on to mainstream BS are not very confident in their own research. Try to stray away from mainstream corporate research funded by the gangs making a profit off the illusion.

If that is so, how come we are finding plankton with thinner tests?
Certainly, they are noticeable in some of the Southern Ocean samples I have seen.

What else would explain the increase in ocean acidification?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join