It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ronnie Montrose has passed on :-(

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
R.I.P. Ronnie

Guitarist Ronnie Montrose, one of rock's great sidemen, whose namesake band introduced Sammy Hagar to the world, died Saturday. He was 64.

The cause was complications from prostate cancer, said his wife and manager, Leighsa Montrose.

Mr. Montrose, a San Francisco native, got his first break when he was hired to play guitar on Van Morrison's 1971 album, "Tupelo Honey." His career as a sideman continued with Boz Scaggs, Herbie Hancock and the Edgar Winter Group, playing on the hits "Frankenstein" and "Free Ride."

Read more: www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2012/03/04/BA3E1NG03M.DTL#ixzz1oDnIkrFB

edit on 5-3-2012 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I saw this about an hour ago. I met Ronnie one day when my company hired him to headline a concert we did at NAMM. I had gotten to the empty ballroom quite early to set up video, and I was sitting at a table eating a quick sandwich and this guy strolls in by himself and puts his stuff down at the next table and struck up a conversation with me about the show. We talked about a bunch of stuff. Real nice guy, I must say. Found out a little later it was Ronnie. Great show later, too.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
My first concert was Montrose. RIP Ronnie.

2nd line to say Bad Motor Scooter i still in my top 100 songs of all time.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

I saw Ronnie Montrose back in 99. Ticket says Rick Derringer was there also. Wish I could say it was a good show but I remember nothing of that evening. I drank way too much in those days.

He made some cool music. Bummer he's gone.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I just heard this last night, very bummed he was one of my favorites. Extremely underrated guitarist. Godspeed Ronnie

edit on 5-3-2012 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Read this on BBC News but I'm more than a little sad that this is the first time his name has ever been mentioned anywhere.

top topics

join