It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-Class Solar Flare. (just happened)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
reply to post by intrptr

I know ,I can't wait for the transit of Venus across the disk of the sun in june. I just orderd some now solar filter material to build a new filter to see it with.

In June huh? Cool... Bring it.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Shouldn't be surprised by the eruption of the flares, this is year 11 on the solar cycle and according to Michio Kaku physicists are admitting they were off by a factor of 20 when predicting this years activity and are sending out warnings. Here is a fox interview with Michio...

Michio interview

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Hands up who clicked play on pic

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Bottom line: Our sun and how it interacts with earth really puts humanity's everyday self-centered activities into perspective. Our sun does not distinguish between race, religion, gender, point of view---or any living force. Every living thing on our planet has one common benefactor that bestows the life-force we all share --that is the sun.

It may well be that in 2012 and beyond, our sun may deliver a stark reminder to us all that we are all connected.

From Carl Sagan:

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there -- on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

www.ijourney.org...

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by N3kr0m4nc3r

Thanks for posting that link. MK is a brilliant man. He seems to be one of the only mainstream scientists who is not afraid to tell it like it is. At least about the sun. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fisherr

Soory, not sure how to carry the animation through but if people go to the site it should work. I also tried clicking it without thinking.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by earth2mayavision

Very well put. Our whole lives literaly revolve around the sun.

Also love mr. Sagans work.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Here is some new info from spaceweather.com on the flare.

www.spaceweather.com...

And no, the animation in the pic doesn't work but you can go to the site to see the movie. It's pretty cool.

Update: The explosion also hurled a bright CME into space. According to analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab, the CME will probably miss Earth, although it will hit Mercury and Venus. An animated forecast track shows the likely progression of the cloud.

Even if this CME misses, high-latitude sky watchers should still be alert for auroras in the nights ahead. An M2-class eruption from the same sunspot on March 4th produced another, wider CME that might yet intersect Earth. The cloud is expected to deliver a glancing blow to our planet's magnetic field on March 6th at 04:30 UT (+/- 7 hr).

edit on 5/3/12 by usmc0311 because: added link

Here is a link to a thread started thismorning about the chance of this flare helping to produce an earthquake or two.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=816130
edit on 5/3/12 by usmc0311 because: added link

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Following the size comparison...this video always does it for me.

edit on 5-3-2012 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

You do realize that about a million earths could fit inside the sun....so while that spot may be small in comparison to the rest of the sun it is quite large compared to the earth.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fisherr

More than once!!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I plan on Photographing AR1429 as soon as I get home! It is a nice sized one hopefully it might get as big as AR1339 or Sunspot 484 which you could easily see with some welders goggles!

Never ever stare at the sun without good eyeprotection (NO SUNGLASSES!!!!) Either eclipes glasses (yes they make those) or Number 14 welders glass! I have a special pair I steampunked out. Maybe that will be my first thread here is some photos of AR 1429....

OH an maybe ON MY BIRTHDAY Auroras in my area! YAY!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
I plan on Photographing AR1429 as soon as I get home! It is a nice sized one hopefully it might get as big as AR1339 or Sunspot 484 which you could easily see with some welders goggles!

Never ever stare at the sun without good eyeprotection (NO SUNGLASSES!!!!) Either eclipes glasses (yes they make those) or Number 14 welders glass! I have a special pair I steampunked out. Maybe that will be my first thread here is some photos of AR 1429....

OH an maybe ON MY BIRTHDAY Auroras in my area! YAY!

I would love it if you put some of those pics on here. Never thought about using welders glasses. Good idea. I like to try to glimpse them throught the clouds like they did in the olden days.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The CME will probably miss Earth, I doubt anything will come of it...
we will know by March 6th at 04:30 UT (+/- 7 hr)

edit on 5-3-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Perhaps this solar flare helped contribute to the new fissure eruptions in Hawaii near Pu`u O`o that happened yesterday. I believe this is in Volcano National Park and is already a very active area, but I'm no expert. Anyone with more knowledge of this subject care to share if this activity is out of norm?

Here's a link to some very cool videos that were taken very close to the fissure eruptions. Hope this posts correctly as I'm new here.

pacificislandparks.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Here you can see it in relation with earth and Stereo A/B

SOLARHAM cme watch

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

Wow, I didn't know that there was anything bigger than Sun.
Thanks for that video. Holy cow. I hope they aren't coming our way. Those are huge.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Here is a good video of the event. Note in video how brite event actually is.
I like skyywatcher88 daily sun video's.

edit on 5-3-2012 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

That video is insane!

Thanks for finding it. It's beautiful.

The end of it almost like an atomic B going off.

Geesh, that thing is intense..
edit on 5-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I just hope we don't lose anything out there

This wave of solar plasma will mostly miss hitting Earth, but some spacecraft, including NASA's sun-watching Stereo B satellite, the Messenger spacecraft at Mercury and the agency's infrared Spitzer Space Telescope, are in path of the resulting radiation storm, according to scientists at the Space Weather Center at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

More:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join