It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today I Went to Church...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Yup i did it. I went to church again for the first time in a while. Much to my surprise the topic of the day was apocalyptic. Funny i know. Much of the discussion was centered around growing concerns about the economy. The preacher lady spoke of faith as a guiding light during trying times. Surprised as i was i couldn't agree more. Interestingly enough this church i found has a very unique perspective. After church i joined the pastor and his family for lunch at a local restaurant. I had interesting conversations about the state of Isreal as it relates to the apocalypse and interestingly enough we were very agreeable about the current state of the middle east.

Anyway, thought i would share.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Today I Went to Church

There was your first mistake..

Ok, I'm kidding.

I think you aren't alone in your experience. I have even had this experience as well to some extent. Religion can bring comfort to people. It can make a crying girl smile, and give a son something to hold onto when they lose a parent. Who am I to say that is "wrong"? We can all argue about god vs no god, reality vs illusion, good vs evil all day long.. but at least at this point in the human game, there is no proof really for either side. Nothing more than the abstract anyway.

I say follow happiness from wherever it comes from to wherever it goes. Thanks for this thread.. it has confirmed to me yet again, that I know absolutely nothing, and in that I find some form of pleasure at least for the moment.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Well, sounds like you enjoyed it. May I ask what type of Church it was?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

I say follow happiness from wherever it comes from to wherever it goes. Thanks for this thread.. it has confirmed to me yet again, that I know absolutely nothing, and in that I find some form of pleasure at least for the moment.

Life gets easier as you accept that you know nothing. At least thats what i have found. Glad i could help.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Christian, non denominational. They seem to represent a new type of christian that is coming up in the world, ones more like myself who use faith as a trump card over all details. At least from what i saw today....

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I still haven't been able to find a church that can keep me awake, I can have a full nights sleep and go to church and like clockwork as soon as the sermon begins I'm out like a light. And I've been to alot of churches in my life time.

Me I feel strongly that you don't need to go to church to believe and be one with god, but only if you want to fellowship with other believers. No where in the bible does it say you have to go to church

I also feel that true pastors,preachers, or whatever they like to be called, should work a regular job (even part time) to show that the tithes you offer don't mainly go into the pocket of said preachers, etc.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

Well i didnt go because i had to but i agree. I found the energy enjoyable and i dont go very often because a lot of hypocrisy drive me crazy. I dont get into all the singing and worship, i find that a curious part of the church. I find that if i have faith, a true faith, i dont even need to meditate or pray, or have or do anything else for that matter. It is somewhat all encompassing.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
I also feel that true pastors,preachers, or whatever they like to be called, should work a regular job (even part time) to show that the tithes you offer don't mainly go into the pocket of said preachers, etc.

That is one of the things that I think I respect about the Mormon religion. We could argue all day long about the church itself collecting money, but as for their preachers (sorry, I can't remember what they are called) aren't payed and they all work regular jobs and do their duty based on faith and not a paycheck. I'm not sure about any other churches that do this, there may be others.

I agree with you that an individual doesn't have to go to church to have a relationship with what they consider god.

Cool thread. I like that we are more than one post into a thread on religion and no one is arguing yet.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
I find that if i have faith, a true faith, i dont even need to meditate or pray, or have or do anything else for that matter. It is somewhat all encompassing.

Some people's faith is a faith in teachings that they must participate in certain activites, ie. prayer, helping others, sharing their beliefs with others.. in order to attain what it is they seek from religion in the first place. So I guess, to each their own. My faith is much like yours though, so I can give you a high five on your above quoted statement.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I go to church,once in a (long) while cus i trust in the entity Lord Yeshua(Jesus),and like to take the Holy Communion. As far as the Bible is concerned,i take basicaly:Love your neighbour as yourself (which to me translates as,help others as much as you can,be kind,friendly and dont gossip about people+try to screw 'em over for any reason.If you cannot help,at least do no harm+at least be friendly) The Ten Commandments make up a good code to live by,and Proverbs have some good advice and insights.Thats about it for me..Cannot relate to the Old Testament-i fail to see how a Force/Entity of the calibre that created the omniverse,and all that is..can be the petty,persnickety,sexist,homophobic,smite-you-for-breathing-too-loudly God thats presented in the Old Testament.Dont compute,sorry..when i was a kid,i was sometimes forced by my mother to go to church,and often to Sunday school-and id look at the words below the pulpit (GOD IS LOVE) and then id look at most of what the Bible said- and think to myself:"Yeah,riiight..if this is His LOVING side-we are SO fooked.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Well I stopped going to church many years ago when I discovered that the WORST behaving folks whom I knew where the church-goers.

That plus the fact that I learned that religion is nothing but man-made myths, legends, folk-lore and tall-tales which do nothing but a COMPLETE disservice to any REAL god.

But if your thing is spending time with mindless hypocrite cult members who believe in fairy-tales, to each there own I guess.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Did the roof cave in?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Christian, non denominational. They seem to represent a new type of christian that is coming up in the world, ones more like myself who use faith as a trump card over all details. At least from what i saw today....

Interesting. Non-denominational, like Calvary? It sounds like something I would be interested in.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
Well I stopped going to church many years ago when I discovered that the WORST behaving folks whom I knew where the church-goers.

Umm.. You think a church is a place good people can go and praise God? No, it's supposed to be a hospital for the broken. If they were the WORST behaving folks you knew, they were in there for a reason - they knew it and needed help.

That plus the fact that I learned that religion is nothing but man-made myths, legends, folk-lore and tall-tales which do nothing but a COMPLETE disservice to any REAL god.

Oh, the fact? Really? I've studied "religions" and Christianity my entire life. I don't know of any such "facts".

Please do share.

But if your thing is spending time with mindless hypocrite cult members who believe in fairy-tales, to each there own I guess.

As I first stated, that's exactly what "we" are. Hypocrites. You obviously don't have a single clue about what Christianity is; it's not about religion, about what we have to DO, it's about what Jesus DID, and how we're FORGIVEN, just with a SINGLE BELIEF.

See my thread in my signature and please answer the question I propose, if you can.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

You think a church is a place good people can go and praise God? No, it's supposed to be a hospital for the broken.

Not true. A church is supposed to be a House of God, an earthly abode for the Lord. Why should only broken, deceitful, and negative people be called into God's presence? A church is for everyone, and anyone who wishes to come to an understanding of who, and what God is, and what God can do for the individual if said individual enters into their own covenant with the Lord through acceptance of Jesus Christ.

Whether or not a church works... is another mess altogether. Statistics seem to imply that Christians, Muslims, and Jews are actually the most violent offenders currently populating the prison systems of the world. So, whether Christian rehabilitation is effective... I don't personally think so. I don't hold it against anyone for trying though.

Oh, the fact? Really? I've studied religions and Christianity my entire life. I don't know of any such facts.

I'm afraid I have to call you on this one. If you truly had studied religions and Christianity for your entire life, with a truly open mind as opposed to tunnel vision, you would have caught on to a whole bunch of interesting things.

• Utnapishtam, a Babylonian farmer sometimes called Ziusudra, was instructed by the Lord of the Earth, Enki, to build a giant arc, upon which he, his family, and his livestock were to travel to safety during a world-wide flood. The flood was sent by the Lord of the Air, Enlil, because of offenses the species of the Earth had committed against the Anunnaki and the Igigi (Lords of Earth and Heaven). In order to find dry land for docking, Utnapishtam sent out several birds; the final, successful one, being a dove.

Sound suspiciously like the Biblical account of Noah and the world-wide flood God sent because of man's wickedness and sinful nature? You may be surprised to learn then, that the Deluge Myth of Babylon has been traced as far back as 2000 years before Christ, making it older than the Flood Myth of Biblical literature. Perhaps Christianity took a myth that wasn't theirs?

• In Egyptian practice, newborns were baptized, and the dead were prepared for judgment before Ma'at, the goddess representing truth and the Law. In order to pass the test of Ma'at the deceased needed to be pure and sin-free, while also demonstrating that they have not: stolen, committed adultery, murdered, coveted, lied, or defiled the gods. All of this is located in Spell 125 of the Egyptian Book of Coming Forth By Day (usually titled the Book of the Dead).

Now, near as I recall, the Ten Commandments feature several commands: (3) Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain (6) Thou shalt not kill (7) Thou shalt not commit adultery (8) Thou shalt not steal (9) Thou shalt not bear false witness (10) Thou shalt not covet. Near as I can tell, the Commandments of God are just a repacked, ego-based retelling of the Negative Confessions of Spell 125.

Those are just two examples (obviously) as I'm running out of characters to use. However, anyone with an open mind, and the ability to read, and an internet connection/access to a library can obtain all kinds of interesting information concerning comparative religions, and syncretic elements in religious texts themselves.

All of this is not to say that I have a thing against Christianity. It is just that the more one explores the origins and legitimate history of religions, the more the lines converge, and it becomes obvious that religion is a projection of the archetypal nature of human consciousness. In the eternal words of Ghandi:

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

~ Wandering Scribe

edit on 5/3/12 by Wandering Scribe because: spelling corrections

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

yeah the small nondenominational churches seem to be on the rise lately, and more power to them. On a personal level, i don't really like going to sunday churches. My advise, test and discern them, test till the death.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

reply to post by mytheroy

Well i didnt go because i had to but i agree. I found the energy enjoyable and i dont go very often because a lot of hypocrisy drive me crazy. I dont get into all the singing and worship, i find that a curious part of the church. I find that if i have faith, a true faith, i dont even need to meditate or pray, or have or do anything else for that matter. It is somewhat all encompassing.

It is not the building that makes the church holy or devine. It is the people and what they bring to the place. Why would you pray? Ask questions instead and ask for information. Sometimes getting pissed off and feed up is also a good way to get some help if you are ready. God/the devine is for me a friend that look after me and guide me in my evolution. I can ignore it but it is always there and have always been. Just be yourself without masks because god/the devine can see right thru them anyway. Ego is a human thing and not devine so playing worshipful and small without ego when you have a big ego will not work. The devine is not a salesman or boss you can barter with, but a teacher that wants you to learn the message/higher ideals because that is what can make you devine. I listen to mediatation music and sing and that gives me harmony, but sitting still just being feels like a waste of time to me. I am after the vibrational tones inside my head that works for my body. What works for you I have no idee about. Namaste

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Interesting. Non-denominational, like Calvary? It sounds like something I would be interested in.

I don't know what calvary is. What i know is they did not ask me if i was saved, they also did not ask me to come into center of the church ask to be saved. The discussion centered around the market and having faith enough to know that we will pull through it and not to worry. Now believe it or not i agreed with everything the pastor said the entire time. It was crazy.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

All of this is not to say that I have a thing against Christianity. It is just that the more one explores the origins and legitimate history of religions, the more the lines converge, and it becomes obvious that religion is a projection of the archetypal nature of human consciousness.

In the eternal words of Ghandi: "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

I have my own beliefs from a lifetime of exploration within the spiritual and religious world and how i relate to Christianity is somewhat unique. The reason i chose to participate in what they believe in is because after the experience i have had in this world i find they are the most dead on, but i will say that may be because of how i relate to the story. Thats debatable like everything i guess though.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

how i relate to Christianity is somewhat unique

Everyone has a unique reason behind why they believe in the things that they do. If they have an actual belief, and were not just "grandfathered" in because their parents believed in something. I'd be curious to hear what specifically draws you to the Christian doctrines, and promises. If you're up for explaining, of course.

i find they are the most dead on

Here I must disagree. I have found that Christian teachings are not original to Christianity, but actually stem from the older, pagan faiths of the heretics. So, if you find that Christian teachings are the most relevant and truthful, you are actually implying that pre-Christian polytheism is true as well, since a host of Christian practices come from those cult beliefs.

• Baptism
• Sin
• The Afterlife
• Paradise and Torture
• Judgment
• Triple-deities
• Angels
• Men born from God
• Resurrected deities

All of these, and more, come from non-Christian sources.

Again though, not that I have a problem with Christianity. Any religion coming to power through political and social force was bound to have to rework itself to appease the subjects it was conquering. The pagans, heretics, polytheists, and non-Christians would never have believed in the state religion of the Holy Roman Empire, if it didn't absorb and make a claim to those cultic beliefs.

i will say that may be because of how i relate to the story

I myself have always found a fascination with religion myths and tales. Such is how I came to the understandings of mythology which I demonstrated in my previous post. Unfortunately, that is also why I don't give Christian myths and tales the prime position, because I recognize and know that they're borrowed from older sources. Stolen, plagiarized stories are not made more true, just because names and dates are changed.

Just my own personal stance though.

~ Wandering Scribe

top topics

<<   2 >>

join