It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$35 Raspberry Pi computer sells out on launch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

The Raspberry Pi comes as 45-gram open board that fits in the palm of your hand. It is equipped with various ports so you can plug in critical components that don't come with it, such as a monitor and keyboard. (Raspberry Pi Foundation)

www.cbc.ca...

Too bad you cannot get the monitor and keyboard/mouse for the same price?

Even though prices have dropped to any all time low for those items.

This is one par with the 50$ laptop rolled-out in India. (Even tho many problems arose during the initial launch)

edit on 4-3-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

That is incredible isn't it? I read an article on it from AOL headlines.
I would love to have one and the 50.00 laptop from India. Looks like they are going to be very affordable soon.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
After watching the video, you guys talked me into it. Think, I'll buy that for myself.

That looks really wild. Talk about a step up from commodore 64

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
NVM. Not as clever as I intended....
edit on 3/4/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Funny how both the $35 and $25 versions have more USB ports than my iPad....

Why did I pay $700 for my iPad again?
Oh yeah....im an idiot!!!!

Kudos to these guys....great product...

S&F

-Chris

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Definitely have to get me one, it's arm11 processor at 700mhz is more powerful than my mobile, 256mb of ram (but I'm guessing thats shared with the 3d graphics sooo..) and it's cheapness really make me interested!

Since I've seen ubuntu put onto android phones, I know you can most likely get driver support for ubuntu on this also, I can't wait for these things to find their niche in the developer community!!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I fail to see the excitement over this product. In my mind it is similar to the hundreds of micro-development kits that are out there, at similar prices, based on anything from AVR32's to ARMs to TI DSP 's and other micros. Some have video interfaces, but a lot of them have QVGA touch screen displays. In my home-lab I have about 10 similar kits, and I can run Linux, Android, or many other OS's on any of them. All have SD-interfaces, ethernet, USB, and more connectivity. I've looked at the specs of the Raspberry Pi, and it is nothing special. Maybe it is just marketing, whereas the other development kits are marketed as just that, "Development kits", and I guess that is a turn-off for non-geeks, lol.

but before you flame me, I *would* like to have one to play with, it will complement my range of similar tools nicely

edit on 5/3/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
looking a bit further into the Raspberry Pi, I see that the ARM processor is made by Broadcomm

Being a design engineer myself, and love to play around with stuff, for me Broadcomm has a less-than-stellar reputation as far as being open-sourced is concerned. You can't get any data from them, period. When I tried getting some of their interesting chips, their attitude were, "well, how many million chips do you want a month?" If you don't have a huge guaranteed market, they are not interested in dealing with you, not even supplying you with detailed data-sheets, so I could never use their devices to develop nice "toys". They only want to deal with the big guys, not us small guys. Maybe things are changing, as I see that they have actually published a stripped-down Soc datasheet for the ARM peripherals that the raspberry pi team managed to convince them to do. It is here broadcom ARM peripheral data sheet

If I was one of the designers, I would rather have stayed with a manufacturer of the ARM-processor that was friendly towards small designers, and actively supported open-source hardware.

Personally, I would rather go for the Beagleboard, or something similar, on which every part of the hardware is well published.
you can find more about the Beagleboard over here :
beagleboard.org...

I also see that everybody is out of stock of the Raspberry Pi's and that most of the distributors add a ridiculous mark-up on the boards.

edit on 10/3/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'm down for this just because it's a super cheap web browser for my hd tv...

Does anyone have one yet, experiences?

Might get one for my mom, her computer is about 5 years old...

Any ideas on good mom friendly ( nice way of saying computer illiterate) distro?

Also, any good Linux applications for using my iPad as a remote keyboard?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
While it may be targeted to the Ipod/Android user audience, in my opinion it will wind up being used more by professionals in the embedded systems arena. Couple this with the real time sensor capabilities of an arduino, and you have a very powerful process control platform that can do unbelievable things for cheap bucks.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
shades of drones and robots in the garage
edit on 23-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

I'm an embedded engineer and I already have a system designed for the RPi. Now I just need to actually receive it! I have been informed that the boards need reworking (ouch) and I should receive it mid April.

Farnell informed me a while ago that they have 57,000 units on order in the UK alone!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe
reply to post by charlyv

I'm an embedded engineer and I already have a system designed for the RPi. Now I just need to actually receive it! I have been informed that the boards need reworking (ouch) and I should receive it mid April.

Farnell informed me a while ago that they have 57,000 units on order in the UK alone!

[/quote

I am as well. I have been on the list for over 2 months, and just got a message that the next batch is shipping. Hope it comes quick, as you know as well as I, that time is the critical thing for new ideas. I am doing process control for a medical lab.... these people move at light speed and i am tired of waiting for something I could do with an arduino and a cheap laptop motherboard... which I will use if it does not come quickly.

top topics

join