It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Weird" Ordinary Kitchen brooms standing vertical by themselves, Does it work for you????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
My wife brought this to my attention just a little bit ago, and I have to say that Im a bit skeptical, but we tried it, and sure enough the broom stood by itself, the first time we tried, with no help, here is the image.

She has had mulitple friends send her pics of the same weird thing occurring, could this be related to the planets aligning, or something else, I would like your opinion?? I think it was luck personally, but then I saw other pics.

[img][/img]

Mods please move if in the wrong forum. Thank you
edit on 4-3-2012 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
For some reason, I feel too afraid to try that.

Some people swear they'v seen me flying around outside on a broom, ......

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Brooms have relatively flat bottom.. why wouldnt they?

One of the guys was doing that here at work. Do it with an egg. Brooms are too easy. You can do that with many brooms on any day. Now, if you stood it up on it's handle.. THAT would be something to show.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Why a broom and not any other object, say.. a pencil?

and why not show the brooms edge-on?

Obviously some shenanegans.
edit on 3/4/2012 by DISINFORMANT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
True, I thought we just got lucky and the bottom of the broom is fairly flat, not totally, it has some curve, Im still not convinced its anything to amazing. Thanks for the replies

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

That's a nice kitchen.

Really nice.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
If the picture is indeed of a broom standing up with no support, it is defying gravitational physics. The angle at which that handle is opposed to the broom head bristles would not allow it to stand on it's own.

If the pic is a dupe, well, it's a dupe.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
maybe google balancing broom.
there's a lot out there.
just a trick.
a cool trick at that though.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthChilde

I don't see why this would be defying any laws of physics. Most of the weight is at the bristle end and the bristles spread outward creating a level surface to easily support the handle. Besides, all the brooms in the pictures are leaning longwise with the contour of the bristles. Nothing special here.

It would be an easy trick, though, to convince children of your undoubtedly psychic powers.
edit on 4-3-2012 by JohnnyNuisance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Sorry EarthChilde, non of these pics have been altered in anyway, I think its just a good chance of luck and balance, Now that i think about it nothing more really. Still i just wanted to prove it was luck and balance and not some freak of nature occurring around the world.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Okay when I first time I heard of this. I called non-sense, but then tried while working at a Restoration company, with all sorts of brooms, and some with the angle at the bristles, I was amazed because of the center of gravity with the handle seemed crazy and in no way could support the broom.

I was told that only for a week or two in the year can this be done. BOGUS, debunked from my observations.

Now, with that being said, I tried with a straw broom that had a insane curve at the bottom, surely to fall over, stayed upright, my fellow friends and family were completely perplexed, But whatever. seen and tried myself, give it a whirl.

Good post!

S&F my Friend

Now I want you to try it with a wooden broom, like the one a witch would have. The name of the kind evades me, but the straw or wicker something that it not perfectly flat but it curved and does not have a flat surface to the floor........ still works. take a pic if it works, and post. just for fun and tell your reactions, Thx
edit on 4-3-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Does it have to be a blue broom ?

2nd line

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

The combined strength of the bristles together with the fact they are spread out a bit gives the broom stability. We used to do this as kids in the kitchen. Its not magic or anything unusual ..just physics in action.

edit on 4-3-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I did that and it worked. So I turned around and tried it the next day when it wasn't supposed to work and guess what? It worked again! Therefore I can only conclude that there is nothing special about it. Just a matter of balancing it carefully.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I WISH my broom would stand on it's own!
Soo sick of that thing falling over whenever I set it against something.
The damn thing won't even stand when I rest it against the counter or something, let alone by itself in the middle of a room! lol

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I hate to be a party pooper but almost anything can be balanced, you just need to find its center of gravity

Still cool though

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
I hate to be a party pooper but almost anything can be balanced, you just need to find its center of gravity

Still cool though

Indeed.

Well, anything but my own broom.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
Does it have to be a blue broom ?

2nd line

No, mine is yellow and it stands easily. This is odd because it was made with the bristles cut on a diagonal and the handle does not stand straight up. Nevertheless, after looking at the photos I walked over to the broom I keep here in the study, picked it up, then placed it standing first time with no fussing over trying to find the balance spot. Yellow broom handle with black bristles still standing where I placed it.

ETA: My witches' broom - handmade with a carved handle made of natural wood with bark and is not straight, it has the more traditional straw bristles - also stands but took a moment to find its balance spot. Both brooms are still standing in different parts of this large room, waiting for my wife to appear in the next half-hour or less - just to see her reaction.

edit on 4-3-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Better put those brooms away or the wife may think you are giving her a hint about something and then whack you over the head with one or both brooms and let you clean up the mess.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
This really does work. My friend came to work the other night (wal-mart) and just picked up a broom from the rack and done it right in front of me, it's quite a sight to see.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join