It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What defines your identity?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrinkYourDrug
I am something the universe is doing.

My thoughts exactly.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

My thoughts exactly.

So you are separate from the universe since You are something It is doing. Is this what you mean? If so, then there must still be conflict because there is a division between you and it.

If you are the universe doing something, then who is aware of this something that the universe is doing?

Don't just repeat something because you heard someone else say it and you thought it sounded nice. Think about it.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy

My thoughts exactly.

So you are separate from the universe since You are something It is doing. Is this what you mean? If so, then there must still be conflict because there is a division between you and it.

No that's not what I mean. I mean individuality is only perceived individuality since the individual is really what the universe is doing. My individual self does not arise on its own accord. It emerges as a result of choices and directives made by the universe. I am the universe making myself experience myself from a limited, individual perspective. The individual is not the experiencer. The universe is.

If you are the universe doing something, then who is aware of this something that the universe is doing?

Awareness itself. The universe is consciousness. The individual is intelligence.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Intelligence is consciousness, consciousness is awareness, my friend.

You may divide the two and call this division growth and evolution but it is really decay and delusion.

You point to the moon and say it is the source of my light because the sun is out of your sight.
edit on 5-3-2012 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

You may divide the two and call this division growth and evolution but it is really decay and delusion.

You point to the moon and say it is the source of my light because the sun is out of your sight.

Consciousness gives rise to intelligent energy and that intelligent energy remains part of consciousness, but intelligent energy is a process whereas consciousness is the processor.

Intelligence is the ability to acquire knowledge. Consciousness is awareness of your existence. Consciousness is infinite and outside of time. Intelligence is finite and subject to time. Intelligent energy must survive. Consciousness is indestructible. Consciousness is absolute, whereas intelligent energy is still becoming.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
While I have been on a decades quest of tango with Enlightenment, with countless experiences, seeing that the mind and who I think I am is false and glimpsing and Infinite Beingness ........ I recently got fired from my job for as my boss put it, "guilt by association". A guy who I work with and was responsible for stole gas on the company card and got busted and fired. So they let me go too....

Well knowing that no matter what I say, the President wouldn't have it and wouldnt even hear my defense, for the next 4-5 days after, it was such a shock to me to find out just how much my identity and security relied on this gig. It really made up much of who I thought I was and getting fired made me sick to my stomach. Everyone there would vouch for me that I am a good soul, but it doesnt matter anymore.

Here I was thinking that I had made a dent in my spiritual path and then come to find that my job was basically and mostly everything to me. A huge crutch in my path.

So I wonder. What exactly do you guys have in your lives that defines your identity?

My children is the only reason I still hold onto some semblance of ego, even if just to use it as a tool for communication with the other primates around me. Ego is only a mass collection of thoughts that deludes you into thinking that these thoughts are actually what you are, even though these thoughts are not concrete and can be changed at any time due to any number of reasons (you identified with your job and now you lost it..so are you still you? Who are you?).

The ego or identity is nowhere near set in stone and can change day to day if one allows it, evolve the ego to match your surroundings.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Consciousness gives rise to intelligent energy and that intelligent energy remains part of consciousness, but intelligent energy is a process whereas consciousness is the processor.

Intelligence is the ability to acquire knowledge. Consciousness is awareness of your existence. Consciousness is infinite and outside of time. Intelligence is finite and subject to time. Intelligent energy must survive. Consciousness is indestructible. Consciousness is absolute, whereas intelligent energy is still becoming.

The processor and the process, the thinker and the thought, the observer and the observed... I wonder if you can see the mistake that is being made.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

So you are separate from the universe since You are something It is doing. Is this what you mean?

No, I am not separate from the universe, rather, I go together with the universe and as the concept of individual identity is investigated and peeled back all that remains is the universe. If I am something it is doing then really I am it. I was tempted to write "I am what the universe is doing" or just "I am the universe" but felt as though it would be less understood as it didn't tie in the concept of individual identity.

"I am something the universe is doing" lends itself nicely to the analogy of whirlpool, which in a similar way is something a body of water is doing, but really the whirlpool is the body of water and cannot be separate from it.

I think the individual center of experience can be described as a part (or particular arrangement) of the universe which is experiencing itself (the universe) subjectively.

edit on 5-3-2012 by DrinkYourDrug because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I identify myself purely of my character. My character is summation of my past, my knowledge, and my desires. So it is all I need to define myself. My job is not who I am, and not either is what I own. It's never about what you own, it's about what you do, and your character is what drives this force, therefore it's an ideal descriptor.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I sort of think my identity is what others perceive me. Just trying to think...
I can assign myself numerous things in words and phrases, give myself credit, but thats me giving myself credit, whether it's true or not. Say If i'm not around anyone at all, i dont think my identity matters because because then i dont exist. If i dont exist, what's the point in figuring out MY identity, so to speak. You know? I dont know...it's just something i've been thinking about.

"What am i about?" and "What do I stand for?", etc... seems irrelevant if someone has to ask "Who am I?"

There's nothing to put meaning to the first if no one knows anything past that second question.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Be alone for a long time, and you .. I mean literally alone .. and you become aware that your identity is literally what others make of you.

It's not something you really are.

I know who I am, but I find that in different situations, I am different to suit that situation.

and this troubles me to no end.

Who you are, is who you are. Who you are to others, relies on who they are. What you are, well.. that boils down to morals and ego.

I don't think your question has a real answer. Everyone wears a mask. Everyone is so subconsciously desperate to be someone, it is second nature to them to be something.

Be alone for a long long time, and you find all of that is meaningless.

You find what you are, not who you are... and the who, should you want to be it, never feels right after that.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TwelveFifty

YOU have it.

That is what I wanted to say, but I've spent so long trying to put it into words for various people I obfuscate the meaning with words..

Aha! that is it.

more or less.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

The processor and the process, the thinker and the thought, the observer and the observed... I wonder if you can see the mistake that is being made.

The all is one and you are that all. The all experiences all realities simultaneously as its own one reality. What you are doing as an individual and what it is doing are for all intents and purposes, two different things.

Although what you're doing is what it is doing, what it is doing isn't what you're doing.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

My thoughts exactly.

I was just thinking that my identity now is the glass of wine I just drank....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join