It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul: No Federal Financial Aid for Tornado Victims

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, stood by his libertarian beliefs on Sunday, saying that victims of the violent storms and tornadoes that have battered a band of states in the South and Midwest in recent days should not be given emergency financial aid from the federal government. "There is no such thing as federal money," Paul said, on CNN’s State of the Union. "Federal money is just what they steal from the states and steal from you and me." "The people who live in tornado alley, just as I live in hurricane alley, they should have insurance," Paul said. Paul said there was a role for the National Guard to restore order and provide care and shelter in major emergencies, but that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) led to nothing but "frustration and anger.".
reply to post by liejunkie01

Wise words Ron Paul speaks. Why should we use "Federal" help when it's actually our money anyways and just another avenue our money has to travel in order to come back and help us? It's an unnecessary step including the Federal Government in something the State Government should be in full control over in the first place.

States have the SBI (State Bureau of Investigation) who does the job of the FBI on a state level, so whats wrong with State emergency management systems having the money or authority FEMA does?

The Federal Government should be a back up plan, not the first thing we run to.

Insurance should be mandatory for anyone living in a known disaster area. You can't live in a flood zone without flood insurance where I live. This is commonsense. Can't afford it. Don't live there.
edit on 4-3-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by squidboy

If people can not afford the proper insurance, then there are almost limitless other areas in our vast country to live that are less prone to twisters, earthquakes, and or hurricanes. People always MAKE EXCUSES on why they don't have the insurance, but really there is no excuse. IF YOU LIVE IN A DISASTER PRONE AREA IT IS YOUR DUTY TO HAVE INSURANCE. Not having insurance is a risk. It's less costly in the mean time, but as we can see here it can turn around and bite you.

Oh yes, I get it it. If your poor you have to move... only you cant cause your poor. If you cant afford insurance but don't want to move 200 hundred miles from you family WELL TOO BAD Paul supporter has spoken and disasters are YOUR fault.

In classic Paul fashion SCREW HELPING THOSE IN NEED THOSE TAXDOLLARS ARE MINE.
edit on 4-3-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Here is the DHS request for money given to FEMA for disaster relief.

Disaster Relief Fund (DRF): $1.8 billion is requested for the DRF to allow FEMA to
continue to address the impacts of a disaster on individuals and communities across the
Nation. The DRF provides a significant portion of the total federal response to victims in
presidentially declared disasters or emergencies.

www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/budget-bib-fy2012.pdf

Here is some foreign aid numbers..

The legislation provides $42.1 billion in regular funding for the State Department and foreign aid in 2012, which is a cut of more than $6 billion from the 2011 level.

But when another $11.2 billion in war-related foreign aid for Afghanistan and Iraq is added in, such as money for counterterrorism and humanitarian assistance, the total for 2012 is $53.3 billion. That total is actually an increase of some $5 billion over the comparable amount for 2011..

www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/19/us-usa-aid-idUSTRE7BI1KO20111219

Wow,

We as citizens only get 1/20th of what they send overseas......

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

If people can not afford the proper insurance, then there are almost limitless other areas in our vast country to live that are less prone to twisters, earthquakes, and or hurricanes. People always MAKE EXCUSES on why they don't have the insurance, but really there is no excuse. IF YOU LIVE IN A DISASTER PRONE AREA IT IS YOUR DUTY TO HAVE INSURANCE. Not having insurance is a risk. It's less costly in the mean time, but as we can see here it can turn around and bite you.

Oh yes, I get it it. If your poor you have to move... only you cant cause your poor. If you cant afford insurance but don't want to move 200 hundred miles from you family WELL TOO BAD Paul supporter has spoken and disasters are YOUR fault.

In classic Paul fashion SCREW HELPING THOSE IN NEED THOSE TAXDOLLARS ARE MINE.
edit on 4-3-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

Except RP wants the national guard to actually have funding (which would be available, dude to cutting several federal agencies and ALL foreign aid, including Israel) so they can properly respond to disasters.

To the OP who wants us to believe that RP wants to cut domestic spending only to spend it overseas... Where are you getting your info, sorcha faal?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
And it's dumb statements like that ensuring RP will NEVER win a general election. He makes a lot of sense in some areas like foreign relations...but then #s up saying stuff like this.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

So,

Now everybody is jumpimg on the insurance bandwagon?

Are they not part of the problem?

Do you currently work for an insurance company, because all I read is propaganda.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
That is why Ron Paul wont get my vote...
Grandpa can kiss my ass and the entire town of West Liberty's ass...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I agree with him 100%. I would assume tornado insurance in tornado alley would be a requirement.... I live near the ocean, flood, fire and hurricane insurance is a requirement. It is just common sense that if you live in an area prone to something like that, you should really have insurance for it no?
edit on Sun, 04 Mar 2012 14:30:40 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DISINFORMANT

Except RP wants the national guard to actually have funding (which would be available, dude to cutting several federal agencies and ALL foreign aid, including Israel) so they can properly respond to disasters.

lol, I assume Paul is going to be some sort of dictator? Otherwise I fail to see how he would get this done.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I agree with you that that's a sham, but it has nothing to do with Ron Paul, who would be cutting ALL of that foreign spending. So the above doesn't apply to a RP administration.

Do you really think that RP will do all of the things he says? I mean seriously, look at all of the promises made by all of the politicians...

How do you honestly think this will turn out?

*snip*

Mod Note: Stick to the topic at hand and refrain from going off-topic.
edit on 3/4/2012 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

lol, I assume Paul is going to be some sort of dictator? Otherwise I fail to see how he would get this done.

No, but every president comes into office with a set of goals that they wish to accomplish, hopefully with the cooperation of congress. Notice my use of the terms "wants to" instead of "absolutely will"

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
I agree with him 100%. I would assume tornado insurance in tornado alley would be a requirement.... I live near the ocean, flood, fire and hurricane insurance is a requirement. It is just common sense that if you live in an area prone to something like that, you should really have insurance for it no?

Of course you agree with him 100%. You didn't think about it at all.

Let me let you in on a secret. Poor people exist in places that have potential for disasters(which is everywhere). Ya, who cares about those "poor" people? After all, its so easy to pick up and move to Purgatory where the weather never turns on you.

link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Are you not tired of all of the "requirements"...

I am sick of new laws that "help" the people.

Hmm lets see, gas in the car to be able to drive 90 miles to work tomorrow, or insurance that I will not be able to afford because Ihave no job because I purchased the insurance.

The regulatins and laws are to far out of hand.

link   
Wow. Look at all the entitlement folks who are on here today.
Everyone just forget about the National Debt. It's okay, we can barely pay the interest, but it's okay. Lets just finish supporting the economic collapse of this country and then we can set and argue all we want on who will float the bill.

Let's just let the Federal Government bail us out every time because it's so obvious they know how to spend our money so well.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

No, but every president comes into office with a set of goals that they wish to accomplish, hopefully with the cooperation of congress. Notice my use of the terms "wants to" instead of "absolutely will"

Oooh, I get it. Its okay when Paul make promises he cant possibly fulfill because "that's what he wants."

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Another reminder...

...to stick to the topic at hand. In this instance, "Ron Paul: No Federal Financial Aid for Tornado Victims." Continued off-topic posts or persona attacks aimed at fellow members will be removed.

Consider this fair warning.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01

I agree with you that that's a sham, but it has nothing to do with Ron Paul, who would be cutting ALL of that foreign spending. So the above doesn't apply to a RP administration.

Do you really think that RP will do all of the things he says? I mean seriously, look at all of the promises made by all of the politicians...

How do you honestly think this will turn out?

*snip*

I don't know how it will turn out, but you can't judge a book by the cover of another book.
We can't just assume all politicians are lying all the time, always. If we do, we're certifiably insane for even participating in the process.

"Santorum says he's for war, so I'll vote for him because I know he's lying and I don't want war"
- How crazy does that sound?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

I will let you in on a little secret. Most poor people don't own homes. The landlords who own them take care of things like insurance....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join