It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul: No Federal Financial Aid for Tornado Victims

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by squidboy

Do you realize all the time and effort that would have to be put into powering down the Federal government? Who has the time or patience for such a task? And why would they do it when they can continue to get money from corporations to toe the status quo?

This just makes me think that people out there still say "because it's hard we should not try". In my opinion, this is the wrong mentality. If there is one thing which I drill into my children's heads, it is that if you have to continue to try. Giving up is the worst thing anyone can do.

Don't get me wrong, I am not picking on you; just sharing my opinion here. : )

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by squidboy

Thank you. This was what I was getting at, but you did it much more thoroughly and elegantly.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rockn82

I'm not saying that.

I'm saying, do you really think that Congress and the robber barons would do this? It would take an armed revolution just to do it.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rockn82

Exactly. Just because it is a big undertaking doesn't mean it is less necessary. Why should we endure slighter hardships, for longer time, for no pay off (actually a price) rather than possibly suffer to take on the system in the short time, rectify things, for a great payoff?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

reply to post by rockn82

I'm not saying that.

I'm saying, do you really think that Congress and the robber barons would do this? It would take an armed revolution just to do it.

An armed revolution of about 300,000,000 million individuals.

Then we will have to hope that the FED Reserve does not nuke us or use a bio agent on us to ensure that we repay the however many trillions we owe them.

Do people actually think that an entity such as the FED or FED Reserve will just lay down and say "ok you win".
These people will fight till the end or until there is no nation left to fight. Then they win in the end because they can rebuild as they see fit.
edit on 4-3-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I love how people are acting like what he said was wrong. Hes right did everybody forget why we have individual states and were not one giant country? Because their tailored to their location, the fed was not put in place to handle disasters theres already something in place for that uhhh its called the state.

I mean people can't be that clueless right, wait nevermind I forgot this is America. The feds are not there to take care of these things what dont you guys get. "Location" is key what FEMA does in one state will cause problems in the other they are not the same. If we wanted the feds to control every state as a whole this would be The United STATE of America, it doesn't work that way hence why there are 50 different states.

Ron Paul is correct everyone else please go take an American National Gov't class and ask the professor why are there states and learn something. Please for the sake of this country before you doom us all.
edit on 4-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryanssuperman

Why do you people jump on the title of this thread without reading what he's saying? There's more to this than "NOPE NO FEDERAL HELP FOR YOU!". He's saying that the taxes and excessive waste of money we spend on foreign policy and redundant branches of the government, would be in the people's pockets for insurance.

I read the entire article...all 4 paragraphs

Ron Paul quite directly says he would not give the victims of the toranados from previous days federal aid.

Not a hypothetical...not if this or that...just he wouldn't do it right now.

Now...the states pay federal taxes now...so why would he restrict aid to them if that is what they are paying taxes for?

You can try to sugar coat Ron Paul all you want...the truth is that he is a crazy old man who would let people die in the streets just so he could say he stuck to his "principles".

That is the worst kind of politician...someone who is so hell bent on sticking to their principles that they will let people die...that's not something to admire really.

Although on the outside, like a lot of Ron's ideals, it SOUNDS bad. But you need to take in the whole picture here. There are still police and other emergency services in these cities, there are communities coming to help, and hopefully if you live in a Tornado ridden area, you'd have insurance. Big brother isn't going to swoop in and make everything ok. It's just not realistic.

No...a lot of Ron's ideas are just flat out BAD.

Which is why he is losing horribly in this election...how many states has he won???
edit on 4-3-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brandon88
I love how people are acting like what he said was wrong. Hes right did everybody forget why we have individual states and were not one giant country? Because their tailored to their location, the fed was not put in place to handle disasters theres already something in place for that uhhh its called the state.

I mean people can't be that clueless right, wait nevermind I forgot this is America. The feds are not there to take care of these things what dont you guys get. "Location" is key what FEMA does in one state will cause problems in the other they are not the same. If we wanted the feds to control every state as a whole this would be The United STATE of America, it doesn't work that way hence why there are 50 different states.

Ron Paul is correct everyone else please go take an American National Gov't class and ask the professor why are there states and learn something. Please for the sake of this country before you doom us all.
edit on 4-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

What happens when the state is too poor to respond to a big natural disaster?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I feel RP's words are taken out of context. I believe he means good and agree that there has to be a better way to help these victims. However, merely transferring the money to the states coffers will not get it done IMO. Eventually, they will live up the hype and be just as irresponsible as the federal agency.

What is the real solution? Hard to say, but something has to be done. More disasters are to come and sooner or later we won't be able to cover them all, regardless if it is fed or state money.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by The SwordYou see, people have a sense of place. They're tied to it in more ways than one. When Katrina hit, there were people who didn't want to leave. I'm sure many of them perished but you can see where I'm coming from, right?

I'm sure Darwin would pass out awards to these unfortunate who failed to heed warnings and common sense and leave...

It is just not good social policy to underwrite the poor decisions and failure to adapt to change and new environments of certain members of the species.

They continue to procreate that way as they never learn the cause and effect of their poor decision making skills being insulated from the effects by the taxpayers’ money.

Thus they pollute the human gene pool with more of their lemming like spawn who will likely behave similarly and rely on government (i.e. money taken by force from those of us who can adapt) for their sustenance.

People are coddled and get to ride out the consequences of their own actions in relative comfort (provided by others) rarely learn their lessons.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

reply to post by antar

That's because he is a shill for Ron Paul that thinks that RP can do no wrong.

And the shills will continue to shout down those with a hint of common sense.

Yes, I am a shill for Ron Paul, obviously prior to 1979 and the creation of FEMA, the States were completely unable to take to care of themselves

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I agree. Everyone who has delt with FEMA thinks there response is a joke anyway. It should be left up to the states.
Also, everyone SHOULD have insurance on their home and possessions. There's no excuse. If you have a mortgage you're required to carry insurance - most of the time it's escrowed in so you don't have a choice. If you're a renter, well heck, renter's insurance is like $20 a month and less than $10 a month if you bundle it with car insurance. That's a very tiny price to pay to have your whole life covered in case of a disaster. Personal experience - I own my home and rent an apartment when we work out of state each year. Again, no excuse.
And, NO I'm not "rich and heartless." We're actually in the hole at the end of every month, but, YET AGAIN, no excuse to not have insurance.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

reply to post by rockn82

I'm not saying that.

I understand what you mean now. I would answer that by saying it is our job to get rid of these people that would work against us. IF the system works, oh my that is a big if, we shall see shortly. However it is our job to ensure we are electing people that will do the right thing.

As for liejunkie's army, I think if it becomes apparent that our system is broken/rigged (to the masses) in the next year then we will absolutely see a bunch of really pissed off Americans. Since Nov 2011 gun sales just keep going up and although I hate violence I will continue to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign or domestic (cheesy I know - tee hee).

As an aside, you guys type really effin fast. I can barely keep up.

CODE: slow down.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Also, I love how you completely ignored my reply. Are discussions not supposed to be two sided anymore?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Once again, the issue is that some people want to believe their side didn't lose the Civil War. Bottom line, this is a Nation, not a collection of States. We are supposed to be patriotic Americans, are we not? All for one and one for all? Should we not help our neighbors, our fellow countrymen, in their time of need?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Then why arn't they balancing a budget like they should be? If they are not doing their job they shouldn't have a position of power there are qualifications your supposed to have to be put there right. Maybe the feds should step out and stop with all the federal taxes, so that the state has funds for such things instead of paying to FEMA just so they can make things worse.

link   
reply to post by Golf66

You must hate people so much that you'd say a thing.

I think my point stands no matter how many RP supporters try to debunk it.

link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

reply to post by antar

That's because he is a shill for Ron Paul that thinks that RP can do no wrong.

And the shills will continue to shout down those with a hint of common sense.

Yes, I am a shill for Ron Paul, obviously prior to 1979 and the creation of FEMA, the States were completely unable to take to care of themselves

It looks like federal aid has been around almost as long as the country.

History

Federal emergency management in the United States has existed in one form or another for over 200 years. The history of FEMA is summarized as follows.

Prior to 1930s

A series of devastating fires struck the port city of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, early in the 19th century. The 7th U.S. Congress passed a measure in 1803 that provided relief for Portsmouth merchants by extending the time they had for remitting tariffs on imported goods. This is widely considered the first piece of legislation passed by the federal government that provided relief after a disaster.[5]

Between 1803 and 1930, ad hoc legislation was passed more than 100 times for relief or compensation after a disaster. Examples include the waiving of duties and tariffs to the merchants of New York City after the Great Fire of New York (1835). After President Abraham Lincoln's assassination at John T. Ford's Theatre, the 54th Congress passed legislation compensating those who were injured in the theater.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Emergency_Management_Agency

It seems the federal government has been helping long before people around here would like to admit..

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

This is the message that should prevail.

Not the message of "Oh, you don't have any money? TOO BAD!"

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by klhbrown

Everyone who has delt with FEMA thinks there response is a joke anyway.

How many peole have FEMA helped out since their inception?

My mother was one of them.

We are thankful for the help.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join