It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul: No Federal Financial Aid for Tornado Victims

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, stood by his libertarian beliefs on Sunday, saying that victims of the violent storms and tornadoes that have battered a band of states in the South and Midwest in recent days should not be given emergency financial aid from the federal government.

"There is no such thing as federal money," Paul said, on CNN’s State of the Union. "Federal money is just what they steal from the states and steal from you and me."

"The people who live in tornado alley, just as I live in hurricane alley, they should have insurance," Paul said.

Paul said there was a role for the National Guard to restore order and provide care and shelter in major emergencies, but that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) led to nothing but "frustration and anger.".

news.yahoo.com/ron-paul-no-federal-financial-aid-tornado-victims- 102533838.html

I would rather my tax money be handed out to my fellow americans, then to be thrown overseas..... lets help out the friggin world but not our own country.....

I thought that Ron Paul was for the people?

Oh, I get it,,,,,,,,,he is, only if you have insurance.......

You people are duped..........Paul is a crony just like the rest of the rich............

My mother went through the FEMA thing,,,,,they helped her out after a tornado tore her mobile home apart with my sister in it..................

I have no complaints with FEMA.............only rich jerks that want to rule everything......

For the people

Politicians of every make and model suck

+153 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
so what's the issue here?? it's how it should be. the states should be providing relief and help, not the gov't.
thats all he is saying

they have once again taken him out of context.
edit on 4-3-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

+84 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Actually... Ron Paul is right on with this. It's just not viable until a couple other steps are taken first. FEMA and the Feds are hardly anyone's solution..and the regulations, requirements and general B.S. they bring with their money makes them a force people come to hate in a disaster zone, not cherish. Ask Katrina or Joplin people. Ask the Joplin SAR crews about Federal politics the day Obama spoke in the ruins...and all rescue efforts had to cease for an extended period.

The other step here though is the Feds being flat told to deal with getting less money from the 50 states to play with. While the feds are robbing the states blind to fund their pork and play time, the states hardly have the funds to fill the gap FEMA is left dealing with.

Get rid of FEMA...but the states need the money LEFT with them to do that job..then it'll be a much better response to disasters, I have absolutely NO question in my mind.
edit on 4-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

The issue is..........

Our tax money should be used to help us out,,,,,,,,,,,

Not the Africans, Asians, Middle Eastern's, or any other non US citizen.........

What is the problem with that?

Is it ok to tax the crap out of us and then turn a cold shoulder when we are in need?

But we sure will send billions to Israel

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

+70 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
reply to post by jazzguy

The issue is..........

Our tax money should be used to help us out,,,,,,,,,,,

Not the Africans, Asians, Middle Eastern's, or any other non US citizen.........

What is the problem with that?

Is it ok to tax the crap out of us and then turn a cold shoulder when we are in need?

But we sure will send billions to Israel

Pretty sure that Ron Paul wants to cut off ALL foreign aid.
Along with a host of other pointless, useless spending.

Do you even know what you are complaining about?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Text"The people who live in tornado alley, just as I live in hurricane alley, they should have insurance," Paul said.

well maybe some of them don't you heartless old man. just hope a tornado never destroys everything you own.

+44 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Put it in context. Why do the states need federal assistance? Because the federal government has dis-empowered the states ability to govern and take care of themselves.

His stance is spot on. The federal government has been given powers which screw up the way a republic works. If you put everything in order than absolutely the federal government would not be ALLOWED to give money directly to the state for this type of thing. The state would be completely capable of helping itself along with the help of individuals, other states, organizations and corporations.

The statement is sensationalized without the proper context.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Ask the Joplin SAR crews about Federal politics the day Obama spoke in the ruins...and all rescue efforts had to cease for an extended period

No need to.

As I have stated, I have lived through this kind of crisis first hand..........I had a state rep get out of his chopper and hand me a bottle of water, in my mother's yard.......yeah it was for publicity,but I appreciated it at the time....

My mother did what was asked of her by Fema and they helped her............

It is quite simple, do what is asked

And as I stated,,,,,,,,,,,

All politicians suck,,,,,not just RP, that goes for Obama too.........and all others............

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I saw and heard him on "Candy Crowlely, State of the Union" on CNN this morning.

This is *exactly* what he said. There should be no funds for states who have had a catastrophe. Even.. "They have their own National Guards".
I disagree strongly with that position. Good lord, what would have happened during Katrina if it hadn't been for federal intervention?

You guys go ahead, just don't move to California, Florida, Texas, Louisiana or anywhere else prone to disasters, and the way things have been going lately, good luck with that.
edit on 3/4/2012 by BellaSabre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Good job winning those votes Ron Paul

"Hey Tornado victims...I know you lost your house, your car, some of you lost family members...but you know what...screw you...you are on your own....it's your own fault for building your house in the path of a tornado. Yes you have paid your taxes...but I don't believe in giving out federal aid...so boo hoo...cry me a river about not having a place for you and your family to sleep. You idiots should have had insurance...if you didn't...oh well."

Ron Paul supporters are right...he is consistent...unfortunately being consistently crazy isn't a good thing.
edit on 4-3-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DIDtm

Pretty sure that Ron Paul wants to cut off ALL foreign aid.

I am pretty sure that RP is blowing smoke up everybody's rears too................Just like every other politician.

Do you even know what you are complaining about?

I will quote myself here.

I have no complaints with FEMA.............only rich jerks that want to rule everything......

For the people

Politicians of every make and model suck

I believe that I said politicians of every makee and model suck...........

I know how popular RP is on these boards, this is not my first rodeo............and if you look at my post history, you will see that I am not that political........

By the way,,,,,,it looks like you found a good thread to up you star count

As said,,,,,who's tolling who?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This is a Ron Paul thing. He always says this. Of course many large natural disasters are beyond the ability of a single state to deal with. Of course this is of course all talk. If Paul was President and a state suffered a massive disaster I very much doubt he would sit on Federal assets while people died. He has alway found ways and loops holes to do things while at the same time making it look like he was standing by his principles.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

I agree and this is why RP will never be president.......

Only the gullible fall for political rhetoric....

ETA: This was meant to be a reply to Outcast searcher also.
edit on 4-3-2012 by liejunkie01 because: ETA

+27 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
the only reason the federal government has enough money to hand out is because they took it from the state. so instead of it jumping hands a bunch and paying for more beuracrats in washington , ron paul would rather it just stayed in the state to begin with.

he would not want any of those to people to hurt, hethinks the national guard should help, he just doesn't want to be taking peoples money to hand out when needed. it really is unfair, states can provide just as good if they weren't robbed in taxes by the fed

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Well it looks like the true colors are coming out. Guess he's no different from the other politicians. Isn't that just nice, and just when I thought there was hope for a change.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

+35 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Good job winning those votes Ron Paul

"Hey Tornado victims...I know you lost your house, your car, some of you lost family members...but you know what...screw you...you are on your own....it's your own fault for building your house in the path of a tornado. Yes you have paid your taxes...but I don't believe in giving out federal aid...so boo hoo...cry me a river about not having a place for you and your family to sleep. You idiots should have had insurance...if you didn't...oh well."

Ron Paul supporters are right...he is consistent...unfortunately being consistently crazy isn't a good thing.
edit on 4-3-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

Why do you people jump on the title of this thread without reading what he's saying? There's more to this than "NOPE NO FEDERAL HELP FOR YOU!". He's saying that the taxes and excessive waste of money we spend on foreign policy and redundant branches of the government, would be in the people's pockets for insurance.

He also said that the National Guard would be there to assist in sheltering and organization the communities involved. Look how effective FEMA was in New Orleans. Perfect example. They can send billions of dollars over-cease for foreign aid like clockwork every year, but take weeks to set up any sort of financial aid for its own citizens in times of disaster.

Although on the outside, like a lot of Ron's ideals, it SOUNDS bad. But you need to take in the whole picture here. There are still police and other emergency services in these cities, there are communities coming to help, and hopefully if you live in a Tornado ridden area, you'd have insurance. Big brother isn't going to swoop in and make everything ok. It's just not realistic.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Some of you are forgetting.

If a disaster like a big earthquake
california in this example, how does
a bankrupt state pay the aide fees?

Well, it does seem a little unfair...

If one state pays for all their aid
and has to tighten their belt
and the state next to them gets
to keep getting money and not
have to tighten the belt. Well one
can see where the problem lies..

Paul is right, although I find it senseless
to make the states *pay their bills*
then have to *sit down and shut up
when feds are sent in to trump their
states rights, and laws.

So in a perfect world Pauls proposal works
but not the way things are now.
edit on 4-3-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join