It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God made man in His image?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
www.telegraph.co.uk...

In this article the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams stated:
"... human beings had evolved from non-human ancestors but were nevertheless “in the image of God”.

I don't understand how even highly intelligent people can't see the in-your-face flaw in thinking that man was made in the image of god. This implies that god has a nose and a mouth. Why would an eternal being need to breathe through a nose? And if he has a nose, then he must have lungs to absorb some kind of air. Does this mean that god can suffocate and die if his nose is covered up or blocked in some way?

If a nose and lungs, then god must have a throat. If a throat, then a stomach? Does this god need to eat? Can he get food poisoning and need to vomit? Does he spend an hour a day on the toilet?

If we are made in the image of god, does that mean god needs to shave and brush his teeth? Blow his nose? Can he get bad breath?

This doesn't sound like a god to me. Wouldn't such a perfect entity be made entirely of energy?

Or 'Man made god in His own image!'

'.......And the Lord, after a long day of Preaching, Feasting and general Parading about,
called upon Peter to keep a keen eye out, on their long and winding road to no-where
in particular, for a convenient and good place for Him to evacuate! Peter, after
adjusting his undergarments and standing back up, re-approched the group he had
briefly parted from moments before, and assured his Lord that he would, and further
offered the observation that you couldn't buy it! 'Verily', said the Lord, and proceeded
uncomfortably on, in divine anticipation......'

You don't read that s**t in the bible!

No offence, Lord!
edit on 4-3-2012 by pshea38 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
OP, there are certain physiological implications that we cannot ignore. Take this passage into consideration:

"9‘Its entrails, however, and its legs he shall wash with water. And the priest shall offer up in smoke all of it on the altar for a burnt offering, an offering by fire of a soothing aroma to the LORD."

So the LORD is physically able to smell the burnt-offering, it was seen by the people as a mollifying act to the LORD, if you transgressed against the LORD you offered up a sacrifice.

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he him."

From this we can surmise that God's image is both masculine and feminine. A greater symbolic explanation of this is emphasized throughout the Bible. Elyon is a masculine noun, he creates, he judges, and he watches. The masculine part of of God is the active part of God.

Comparatively, the feminine part of god is the spiritual latent part of man. The word rauch means spirit or breath and it is a feminine noun. In genesis the Lord's rauch hovers over the water, later the Lord breathes into man and behold, he lives! The feminine extension of the Lord animated the physical body with the soul, with it the ability to think.

Now let's look at how profound the personification of wisdom is in the Bible. The 7 wisdom books ( Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon (Song of Songs), and Sirach) all refer to wisdom as a she.

In chapter seven, Wisdom is said to be “the fashioner of all things” (v. 22). Because she fashions all things, is “an associate in his [God’s] works” (8:4), and is a “pure emanation of the glory of the Almighty” (7:25), Wisdom is eternal and one in being with the Father. Because Wisdom is God’s “creative agent”, she must be intimately identified with God himself.
- Wisdom of Solomon

"Wisdom was, before the Lord made even a particle of matter (verse 26) or gave order to creation (verse 29)" - Cor.1:24

When God created man in their likeness, I think he was referring to his duality. Put it this way, an artist is determined to paint something that will finally bring him the recognition his deserves, a masterpiece. He assertively shouts, "I Michael, am going to make a masterpiece today.", he may not have a clue what he is going to paint. Some context of Genesis 1-3 is especially ambiguous, just note all the hermeneutical debate over it, but people should not make erroneous claims (trinity).

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainNemo
A question to anybody who took used the trinitarian explanation: Do you think that God in genesis 1:27 initially created man with mind, body and spirit?

If so how do you explain genesis 3:22 "...Behold, the man is become as one of us."? What was given from the tree of knowledge of good and evil was morality, or free will which Jewish rabbinical sources associate spirit. Following the sequential of Genesis this would surely rule out the possibility of a triune model as an inherent part of the creators was not initially given.

Furthermore, earthly analogies are used to describe how man was created. With dust from the ground used to form the physical body, and the wind or breath of the Lord, the Lord's ruach. We have here only two constructive acts in the making of Adam. Where is the third? The word 'us' is indefinite, once again, to the trinitarians please provide more evidence of this tri-fold creation.

God was finished with creation long before Adam decided to join Eve in death and ate that forbidden fruit. God stopped creating on day six. So, everything Adam was as a man was created in that first week. Adam and Eve merely gained knowledge, not something added to their creation.

The Holy Spirit is usually typified in the OT by the "unnamed servant", except for when he is typified in the Abraham/Issac/Eliazer stories. (Eliazer means "comforter") He always glorifies Christ, never Himself. Any and all functions and stories in the Bible, both OT and New, in some places are credited to the Son, other places credited to the Father, and yet in other places credited to the Spirit.

Great questions though brother, amen!

For fun, read Psalm 2. It's a conversation between the three members of the Trinity. It's a fun study to map out whom you think is speaking in which part, either the Father, the Son, or the Ruach ha Kodesh.

edit on 5-3-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Man was originally in the image of God, but that ended when Man fell. Man is now made in the image of fallen Man, as shown in Genesis 5:1-3. It clearly shows that Man was made in the image of God, but then made in the image of fallen Adam.

Copy and paste these things onto a 3x5 card and keep them in your Bible.
Anyone who says that God is not in a Trinity is suggesting a different God.

SCRIPTURES SUPPORTING THE TRINITY IN THE BIBLE

Who raised Jesus from the dead?
The Father (Rom 6:4, Acts 3:26, I Thes 1:10)
The Son (John 2:19-21, 10:17-18),
The Spirit (Rom 8:11) or
God (Heb 13:20,Acts13:30,17:31)

Who is God?
The Father (Eph 4:6)
The Son (Tit 2:13, John 1:1, 20:28, 9:35-37)
The Spirit (Gen 1:2, Ps 104:30) or
God (Gen 1:1, Heb 11:3)

Who saves mankind?
The Father (I Pet 1:3)
The Son (John 5:21, 4:14)
The Spirit (John 3:6, Tit 3:5) or
God (I John 3:9)

Who justifies man?
The Father (Jer 23:6, II Cor 5:19)
The Son (Rom 5:9, 10:4, II Cor 5:19,21)
The Spirit (I Cor 6:11, Gal 5:5) or
God (Rom 45:6, 9:33)

Who sanctifies man?
The Father (Jude 1),
The Son (Tit 2:14),
The Spirit (I Pet 1:2) or
God (Ex 31:13)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jimscott

Awesome, I've never wrote them all down like that. Amen brother! I'm going to copy/paste that on my profile I hope you don't mind.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I had this crazy idea it was referring to our schematic, or blue print, other wise known as DNA, the double helix. Electromagnetism emulate a double helical design, for the most part...geometrically they may be a bit different, but the common theme is clear as day.

It's light.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
LOL, NOW I know why I gave up on religion.... It doesn't make any sense to me... Guess I am just too dumb to adhere to the Christian religion, and that is why I became a pantheist.
edit on 5/3/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by xacto
reply to post by jiggerj

I had this crazy idea it was referring to our schematic, or blue print, other wise known as DNA, the double helix. Electromagnetism emulate a double helical design, for the most part...geometrically they may be a bit different, but the common theme is clear as day.

It's light.

Funny you should mention that. lately I've had a few weak moments while pondering how life supposedly got its start on earth. A bunch of inert chemicals came together and the sun gave them life. I started to think that maybe the ancient worship of Sol might not be too far off the mark. Not as an intelligent entity, but as the creator of life.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by xacto

It's light.

No. Light is decaying with the rest of the universe. According to "Scientific American" if the constants of Physics are changing then that means that "our reality is but a sub-set of a much larger reality." (Dimensionality)

Hey, that's their words, not mine.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
LOL, NOW I know why I gave up on religion.... It doesn't make any sense to me... Guess I am just too dumb to adhere to the Christian religion, and that is why I became a pantheist.

See, now that's weird, usually the opposite is true. Usually you have to get more stupider to accept Christianity after a life of Secular Humanism, like I did. Now you're saying people are too dumb to be Christians? Wow, viscous circle to be in, damned to be in a circle of stupidity forever huh?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join