It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God made man in His image?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasterGemini
I think you are totally confused here.

God is INFINITY.

There is a mathematical problem to find the, infinite non-repeating number known as Pi.

Pi
en.wikipedia.org...

Squaring the circle
en.wikipedia.org...

Vitruvian Man
en.wikipedia.org...

The human form is the ONLY living being to fit this formula.

The infinite number Pi is encoded into the human form. You need to get more technical and esoteric Mr. Sheeple.

I suggest you take a look into this book, The Secret History of the World (Mark Booth)
www.amazon.com...=pd_sim_b_3/183-1685583-2427717

And it goes far and beyond that, I am simple providing a glimpse at veritas.
edit on 4-3-2012 by MasterGemini because: Mystery Schools 101

From your Amazon link in reference to Mr. Booth's book:

According to Booth, these teachings inspire the cosmic mind that brought into being the material universe. Booth's history incorporates so many disparate philosophies, many of them far, far away from the mainstream, that it lacks all coherence. And his universe is full of bizarre theories, entertaining primarily for their weirdness ~ Publisher's Weekly
www.amazon.com...

May be a great book--I doubt it, but could be--but I found the, "lacks all coherence," to be rather funny.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

So you have no actual facts or evidence to back up repudiate anything I presented?

LoL pathetic, TRULY pathetic. . .

FYI Saturn is the god of the material world (aka the one running this one . . . well for a little while longer at least). Maybe you should go learn about planetary magic and its roots in the consciousness (aka thought processes) of Humanity.

Mark Booth (about the author)

Mark Booth was educated at Ipswich School and Oriel College, Oxford, where he studied Philosophy and Theology. He has worked in publishing for over twenty years, and is currently in charge of Century, an imprint of Random House UK. The secret History of the World is the outcome of a lifetime spent reading literature in this area, publishing many of the leading authors in the field and hanging around antiquarian bookshops.

Oriel College, Oxford

Oriel College[1] is a constituent college of the University of Oxford in Oxford, England. Located in Oriel Square, the college has the distinction of being the oldest royal foundation in Oxford (a title formerly claimed by University College, whose claim of being founded by King Alfred is no longer promoted). In recognition of this royal connection, the college has also been known as King's College and King's Hall.[2]

The original medieval foundation set up by Adam de Brome, under the patronage of Edward II, was called the House or Hall of the Blessed Mary at Oxford.[3] The first design allowed for a Provost and ten Fellows, called 'scholars', and the College remained a small body of graduate Fellows until the 16th century, when it started to admit undergraduates.[4] During the English Civil War, Oriel played host to high-ranking members of the King's Oxford Parliament.[5]

The main site of the College incorporates four medieval halls: Bedel Hall, St Mary Hall, St Martin Hall and Tackley's Inn, the last being the earliest property acquired by the college and the oldest standing medieval hall in Oxford.[6] The College has nearly 40 Fellows, about 300 undergraduates and some 160 graduates, the student body having roughly equal numbers of men and women. The College's MCR is rapidly growing, and in 2010, the college admitted roughly equal numbers of undergraduate and graduate students.[4]

Oriel's notable alumni include two Nobel laureates; prominent Fellows have included John Keble, and John Henry Newman, founders of the Oxford Movement.[7] Among Oriel's more notable possessions are an original copy of the Magna Carta[8], a painting by Bernard van Orley and three pieces of medieval silver plate

edit on 4-3-2012 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

You have the nerve to ask me for "facts" after all your hyperbole?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
First of all, I would begin with stating that this debate has been going on among scholars for over 2000 years and is not going to be solved here.

Secondly, I would like to state, that this has less to do with Christianity than it does with Judaism. As the references are within the Old Testament and therefore with the Torah that was assimilated into Christianity at the First Council of Nicea in 325AD.

I will begin with the definitions of "image"

im·age: noun, verb, -aged, -ag·ing.
    noun
    1.a physical likeness or representation of a person, animal, or thing, photographed, painted, sculptured, or otherwise made visible.
    2.an optical counterpart or appearance of an object, as is produced by reflection from a mirror, refraction by a lens, or the passage of luminous rays through a small aperture and their reception on a surface.
    3.a mental representation; idea; conception.
    4.Psychology . a mental representation of something previously perceived, in the absence of the original stimulus.
    5.form; appearance; semblance: We are all created in God's image.
    6.counterpart; copy: That child is the image of his mother.
    7.a symbol; emblem.
    8.the general or public perception of a company, public figure, etc., especially as achieved by careful calculation aimed at creating widespread goodwill.
    9.a type; embodiment: Red-faced and angry, he was the image of frustration.
    10.a description of something in speech or writing: Keats created some of the most beautiful images in the language.
    11.Rhetoric . a figure of speech, especially a metaphor or a simile.
    12.an idol or representation of a deity: They knelt down before graven images.
    13.Mathematics . the point or set of points in the range corresponding to a designated point in the domain of a given function.
    14.Archaic . an illusion or apparition.
For the Verb definitions please see the Hyperlink above.(im·age)
So you see, it can be seen as both a copy of and as symbology.

The term "in his image" in Hebrew is צֶלֶם אֱלֹהִים‎‎; tzelem elohim and in Latin is Imago Dei( en.wikipedia.org... )

In Judaism it refers to "Human Nature" which falls into the category of abstract belief. As there is no "Dogma" on human nature there is no required belief and it does not make one belief better than another and therefore it does not make one less of a good Jew however one decides to believe. Clearly it does not mean that we are created in the physical image of God in the Jewish belief as Judaism steadfastly maintains that God is incorporeal and has no physical appearance. Tzelem refers to the nature or essence of a thing shown in Psalm 73:20 where tzelem is used where the translation to English shows image. This means you are not to hate the physical appearance but the personality or nature of the person. Read more: www.jewfaq.org...

Imago Dei ("image of God"): A theological term, applied uniquely to humans, which denotes the symbolical relation between God and humanity. The term has its roots in Genesis 1:27, wherein "God created man in his own image. . ." This scriptural passage does not mean that God is in human form, but rather, that humans are in the image of God in their moral, spiritual, and intellectual nature. Thus, humans mirror God's divinity in their ability to actualize the unique qualities with which they have been endowed, and which make them different than all other creatures: rational structure (see logos), complete centeredness, creative freedom, a possibility for self-actualization, and the ability for self-transcendence.
For the larger definition please see the Hyperlink above.(Imago Dei)

My personal belief is that we were created in His image as creators. We are the only species on this planet(that we know of scientifically) that can create beyond our basic needs of shelter and basic tools(also that we are aware of at this time)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by MasterGemini
I think you are totally confused here.

God is INFINITY.

Huh? I'm saying that a god does NOT have any human physical traits, and that he is infinity. That the idea of assigning physical attributes to a god is a mistake.

My goodness you are dense.

Pi, infinity, is encoded into the physical/material geometry of the human form. You are focusing too much on the material 'REPRESENTATION' of eyes, nose, mouth, anus. You have to learn what symbolism is all about and how it is used to expand the human thought process.

It is hard for you to refute that geometrical 'coincidence' which leaves mankind as the only living PHYSICAL being with such a unique form (image).

It is humanity which reflects God, not God reflecting humanity, your whole argument is entirely based off of a self centered POV.
edit on 4-3-2012 by MasterGemini because: Mystery School 101

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

God would not be made up of energy. It is more likely that you precive god as energy. At the present time energy is a term being used very loosely. There are many differnt types of energy. So lets make an assumption that energy is god and every thing is energy. Can you explain to me how we are not created in god's image? Just seems wierd that you would come at it from an anatomical view which is scientific, yet in the end you still have to make assumptions which is like believing. It really is no more then just a guess.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

not god but the gods

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

My opinion of this is that God made man in His image, yes. But what this means, is that by God's image, we are conscious beings. We are sentient and feeling beings. We have God's Spirit in us. God has no manmade image, He is spirit.

Let's take a look at the verse in question.

Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

I'm only going to address the first part of this verse, "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:"

Let's break this down and see what the original Hebrew text reads, and try and establish and better reading of this...

The Hebrew word used for man here, is adam. Adam means mankind. The original Hebrew text reads like this - Amar (and he is saying) Elohim (God) Asah (We shall make) Adam (mankind) tselem (in the image, likeness, or resemblence of us) demooth (resembelnce, model, shape).

So we have, Amar Elohim Asah Adam Tselem Demooth

This is translated into our KJV as "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness"

It could also be rendered as "And God is saying, we shall make mankind in the likeness of us, resembling our model".

I hope this clears things up. God bless you all

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished
reply to post by jiggerj

I agree with you 100%. What a lot of people fail to realize is that they place God in a box by limiting God to a specific dimension. This is known as anthropomorphism, and pretty much is a form of placing limits onto God. When you say God should be a form of energy, that is also placing limits. God, by definition, has no limits, no boundaries, is within and above space and time. Excellent post nonetheless.

Thanks. And, good point on placing limits on a god. It made me realize that energy also burns out, so it can't be infinite.

Well I think you have things twisted here. According to the conservation of energy, energy is never lost only transformed. God could be energy, you and I have energy, a rock has energy. E=mc2 is energy= mass x the speed of light squared. That means anything of mass has energy and anything that has energy has mass.
God could also be anti matter, the ying to our yang.
edit on 4-3-2012 by IronNuts because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
reply to post by jiggerj

The Trinity.

God. Jesus. The Holy Spirit.

Genesis 1:26 - Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

We attained the physical appearance of Jesus; as he existed in the beginning with God/Holy Spirit:

John 1:1-4 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men.

Also, to help you understand what the Trinity is - even though we can't fully comprehend it - think of it like the Sun. When you look at the Sun, you see ONE star, but it is made up of LIGHT, ENERGY, and MASS. Three makes one, one is three, etc.

I believe in this.

Here is the answer - chi energy, it is the reason why living beings are happy, call it dopamine if you want. This proves that existence is positive and negative stems from ignorance.

Christians are job is not to tell the world they are going to die as you are doing, but it is to save the world, I mean really, not just a thought you are thinking about. You are trying to scare the world and I am trying to take them by the hand and help them learn to walk.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
My personal belief is that we were created in His image as creators. We are the only species on this planet(that we know of scientifically) that can create beyond our basic needs of shelter and basic tools(also that we are aware of at this time)

Sorry Agarta, but we are not creators - we are destroyers. Every other species on this planet eats and kills and creates fertilizer in amounts that do not threaten the entire planet.

We, on the other hand, decide to live in wooden homes, but we have to rape the forests in order to do this. We need metals and fuels, but we have to gut out the earth to get them. We manufacture niceties and neccessities, thereby creating hazardous waste that is poisonous to the planet. We create electricity within nuclear power plants, and again, we bury the spent rods in our mother earth. We pollute the air and water. We drive animals into extinction. We destroy whole ecosystems of those helpless creatures that are still living (no thanks to us).

So, the funny thing is that here we chat about whether or not we were created in god's image when the real question should be, 'What God in his right mind would ever take credit for creating such a horrid species of monster?"

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by jiggerj

God is triune, that is, three in one. The Father, Son & Holy Spirit.

Man is triune, body, soul and spirit.

"In His image" does not necessarily refer to physical shape & function. It means that, at our core, we are similar in some way/s.

I'm pretty sure god said this just before he created Adam's body from dust: And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:

And you're suggesting that both 'image' and 'likeness' have nothing to do with nose, ears, eyes, mouth, hair, arms...?

That is precisely what I am suggesting.

Nevertheless, God, in the form of Jesus was truly human. No ivory tower experience there at all. He would have been hungry, randy, thirsty, in pain, exhausted, sleepy, angry, and have been through pretty much everything that we, as humans, go through.

Fortunately, we all don't get tortured to death, for the ones that we love, either.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Not only have you stated a few times in your post that we create things, but you have inadvertently proven my point. God is both the creator and the destroyer as seen multiple times within the Old Testament, it just goes further to show it is the Nature not the form. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I don't know what the bible means but from the way I see it, it is a direct reference to beings who were in physical form and not spirit, unless of course they can manifest in both forms. Father, Son, Holy spirit all you want, There was also more than one god in genesis and it sounds like extra-terrestrial intervention to me.

I have heard also that the bible is a flawed version of the Sumerians also reading some interesting things which could possibly verify it.

I don't know whether you have seen the below link, but it is very interesting. I recommend you have a look at it.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 4-3-2012 by Redevilfan09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You forgot the elder magic wand.
He just waves his wand and cures himself.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Not only have you stated a few times in your post that we create things, but you have inadvertently proven my point. God is both the creator and the destroyer as seen multiple times within the Old Testament, it just goes further to show it is the Nature not the form. Thank you.

Have to admit you make a good point.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

First of all, I would begin with stating that this debate has been going on among scholars for over 2000 years and is not going to be solved here.

I don't look to resolve anything, especially when it comes to religion. I know some people come here to do battle, whereas I like to picture it as though we're sitting around a table, sipping coffee and shooting the breeze. For me it's a conversation, not a competition.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
reply to post by jiggerj

My opinion of this is that God made man in His image, yes. But what this means, is that by God's image, we are conscious beings. We are sentient and feeling beings. We have God's Spirit in us. God has no manmade image, He is spirit.

Let's take a look at the verse in question.

Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

I'm only going to address the first part of this verse, "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:"

Let's break this down and see what the original Hebrew text reads, and try and establish and better reading of this...

The Hebrew word used for man here, is adam. Adam means mankind. The original Hebrew text reads like this - Amar (and he is saying) Elohim (God) Asah (We shall make) Adam (mankind) tselem (in the image, likeness, or resemblence of us) demooth (resembelnce, model, shape).

So we have, Amar Elohim Asah Adam Tselem Demooth

This is translated into our KJV as "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness"

It could also be rendered as "And God is saying, we shall make mankind in the likeness of us, resembling our model".

I hope this clears things up. God bless you all

after 2 pages THIS by far is the best explanation

we were created in god's spirit, not his literal image
edit on 4-3-2012 by ooYODAoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
What is separating us and the beasts and animals,and all life in the universe?
You guessed right,its the reason and intelligence that has put us on the top of the food chain,it is the one thing we can use for both good and evil...
reason is what God made us.
We are not flesh,but spirit,but as we love flesh more than spirit,we get detached from God.

We are truly made in His image,look how powerful we are...but He wants us to put these powers to good use,to glorify Him and to enjoy in everything He provides us.
Overcome the flesh with spirit and truth.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
A question to anybody who took used the trinitarian explanation: Do you think that God in genesis 1:27 initially created man with mind, body and spirit?

If so how do you explain genesis 3:22 "...Behold, the man is become as one of us."? What was given from the tree of knowledge of good and evil was morality, or free will which Jewish rabbinical sources associate spirit. Following the sequential of Genesis this would surely rule out the possibility of a triune model as an inherent part of the creators was not initially given.

Furthermore, earthly analogies are used to describe how man was created. With dust from the ground used to form the physical body, and the wind or breath of the Lord, the Lord's rauch. We have here only two constructive acts in the making of Adam. Where is the third? The word 'us' is indefinite, once again, to the trinitarians please provide more evidence of this tri-fold creation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join