It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW!!: Mystery Meteor Flashes Across British Skies

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Police forces and astronomy websites have been inundated with sightings after a suspected meteor shot across darkened British skies.

Reports of a "bright light" and an "orange glow" were received by police across Scotland and the north of England at around 9.40pm on Saturday.

The Met Office tweeted: "Hi All, for anyone seeing something in the night sky, we believe it was a meteorite."

A spokesman for Strathclyde Police said the force had been "inundated" with calls about a bright object in the sky across the west of Scotland.

Minutes later, Durham Police received calls from concerned members of public who had seen a "bright light or a fire in the sky" and believed it may have been an incident involving an aircraft.

The American Meteor Society website was inundated with dozens of Britons logging sightings.

Michelle Thornton, from Birmingham, stated it was "the most amazing thing I have seen in the night sky in ages - outstanding
"

news.sky.com...

REMINDER:

STARTING A NEW THREAD....
AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on March 4th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I am just curious, why call the police over a meteor?

Like, what are they going to be able to do about it?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I find this part interesting

Meanwhile, website user Brandi, from Stirling, at first thought it was a firework and wondered if it was a missile after it "changed direction". "We wondered if it was a missile. The tail was longer than any astral body I have ever seen and the colour between the head and tail was very distinct. "The head was bright - warm colours - and the tail was much longer. We thought it was a firework because it stuttered out and seemed to fade, but we did not hear the bang. "It then reappeared as it continued across the sky, seemingly changing directions slightly - as if around a 15 degree corner.

cool meteor, it can even turn?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Most people don't have the number to laboratories or other nasa type offices, but they do know emergency services numbers. I'd probably call emergency services if something spacey happened near me.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Hmm, yeah, but if it has fire trailing, wouldn't it be smarter to call the Fire Department? Least, they'll be able to put it out. Police don't have water hoses. They're just going to make it more flammable using their pepper spray and tasers.

edit on 4-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
If it was a meteor , where did it land?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Hmm, yeah, but if it has fire trailing, wouldn't it be smarter to call the Fire Department? Least, they'll be able to put it out. Police don't have water hoses. They're just going to make it more flammable using their pepper spray and tasers.

edit on 4-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

Usually if you make a call to any of the main three emergancy services (Police, Fire, Ambulance) here depending on the call they will send all three anyway?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
nvm
edit on 4-3-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I am just curious, why call the police over a meteor?

Like, what are they going to be able to do about it?

Some witnesses thought it was a plane on fire.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
For heavens sake, why would this be posted under 'aliens and ufos' .
Meteors do happen. They are natural, get over it.

edit on 4-3-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
For heavens sake, why would this be posted under 'aliens and ufos' .
Meteors do happen. They are natural, get over it.

edit on 4-3-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

The simple reason is that it was seen to change direction in some form, whether it was simply following the atmosphere of the earth on re-entry and gives the impression of a bending flight or from what I saw from the footage on those and the BBC site which was a much lower down object that did change course and at points seems to have an object with it, most likely a fellow smaller meteor.

But the change in direction gives it some right to be in here until its debunked 100%..

Anyway, nothing wrong with us Brits having a chin wag about a possible UFO for us, everywhere else seems to get them more

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Here is some better video's shown on the BBC:

BBC

It looks to be moving mighty slow for a meteorite to me. But then again I'm no expert.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Whoah, are the Brits sure its a METEOR?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mclaneinc

The simple reason is that it was seen to change direction in some form,

I was lucky enough to see it and there is no way it changed course but it was certainly awe inspiring and the greatest thing I've ever seen in the sky. You can consider the direction change claim debunked though, it kept a steady, solid course.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 0rbital

I think one of the video's might show it 'bouncing' across the sky. I say bouncing for want of a better word.

Good find Biggerpicture, lets hope even more videos show up on you tube today.
edit on 4-3-2012 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
Whoah, are the Brits sure its a METEOR?

That video claims it was amazingly slow but it wasn't, it just looked a little slower due to it's distance but still fast, even the unslowed video looks slowed down a bit. It looked just as a meteorite should look.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
i didnt see the one in the video posted on the sky website but me and 2 friends saw one of them, and later on my friend saw another one!

Amazing sight..looked like a huge firework with a sparkly tail? white in colour with a green hint,as it came across the sky it changed colours to more orange then anything and slowly dissapeared. you could see the tail really well as it broke up it got smaller

really please iv seen it! the one in the video from further north looked spectacular

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Hi all,
I just signed up because I witnessed something related to this phenomena last night.
I live in Woking, Surrey, and went out at 7pm last night to photograph the moon (since it was a very clear sky).
Just after I set the camera up on my tripod, an object appeared, travelling from South West to North East. It was orange in colour, pulsating as if it were on fire. There was no tail from the object. It did not change direction and seemed to fly on a level attitude. I initially wondered if it could be a military aircraft, maybe with afterburners, but as it passed over it made no sound (there were passenger jets in the area shortly after the time that could be clearly heard at circa 25,000ft).
As the object left the horizon, another visually identical object appeared travelling on the same course, at the same altitude and attitude, and at an identical speed.

If you look at video clips on the BBC news site:

www.bbc.co.uk...

the objects I witnessed were very similar to those filmed by Laura Yusef and Jay Packingham.
I regularly fly a light aircraft in this area so I am aware that there is considerable military traffic (usually Chinooks from Odiham) but these objects do not seem to conform to normal military aircraft sightings, except that they were travelling in a pair.
My sighting seems to be much earlier than other reported sightings.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by chemistry

I just saw the video on skynews and i just wanna know why the light comes on and off?

Is it passing through clouds?

Or is that what usually happens with a Meteorite?

I thought it would stay bright on fire until it hit the ground!

Could it have been something else?

Here is a comment from skynews website from someone who was in the area:

Well I can safely say it was no lump of rock. Where we were, we saw it land, and there were already army personnel in the area. When I left at 6 am this morning, the landing spot was cordoned off and several hundred personnel were ensuring we kept our distance. Those in government will no doubt cover it up with the flying rock story, but what we saw was metal, had openings, and wings, and definitely did not crash, it landed. Would be awesome to get the truth but what we will end up with is a British version of Roswell.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Well I can safely say it was no lump of rock. Where we were, we saw it land, and there were already army personnel in the area. When I left at 6 am this morning, the landing spot was cordoned off and several hundred personnel were ensuring we kept our distance.

That quote is from someone in Preston Lancashire , northern England , they say "Where we were, we saw it land" yet the Meteor was seen further south in the midlands so no they didn't see it land .
The Sky news post you quoted is BS .

post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
Could it have been something else?

Yes it could have been something else but the highest probability is it was just a Meteor , its just the fact that it happened at a time and place where it was seen by many people that a fuss is being made about it .

edit on 4-3-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join