It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group posts billboards in religious neighborhoods saying God is ‘a myth’

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pixiefyre
For those who missed my post earlier in this tread I did a quick Google search on this and much to my surprise found out this issue goes both ways and I couldn't help but laugh.

Billboard Wars

It shows Athiest billboards but it also shows that t Christians can hold their own when it comes to .....

BILLBOARD WARS..

IT is just too funny!

It shows Christian billboards but it also shows that Atheists can hold their own when it comes to .....

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Whatever happened to freedom of religion?

Atheism no longer deserves as much attention as Christianity?

I think people should decide for themselves, instead of being bombarded by strictly Catholic/Christian/Baptist/Lutheran propaganda.

The rest of you can either close your eyes or just don't go outside.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

What do gas stations have to do with anything - - - and where are Atheists telling you to buy something? Well - - ya know what - - with the crazy Christian Right doing every thing they can in this country to try and control every one's life - body - marriage - etc. - - - I am sure many people - - especially young people are questioning the "reality" of God. Atheists billboards are a good thing. And have every right to sit right up there next to the God boards.
reply to post by Annee

Well Church's like gas stations advertise..it is a business of sorts. You were also saying how you feel pressured and trapped. I was just saying you shouldn't feel that way. Its just business.

Billboards...same thing. Its business.

When I take something "personal" is when it is brought up to my porch.

The only time this happens is when the sweet ole Jehovah witness's come around. I love seeing them try to convert me because I understand its a business and they are working for free.
Its sweet and I find compassion for them and their belief. I don't understand it, I try and make them see how I see it...but they usually go pretty quick and I tell them thanks for the material and I will be sure and check it out.

I don't like that they come to my door pressuring me but at the same time I knowingly have fun with it/them and make them question what they are teaching before they leave. Its a win win really. Why get offended?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

There will always be those that believe in fairies, demons, and a grand wizard with a magic wand.

Your forgot Aliens, Ufo's and Sasquatch.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
Whatever happened to freedom of religion?

Atheism no longer deserves as much attention as Christianity?

I think people should decide for themselves, instead of being bombarded by strictly Catholic/Christian/Baptist/Lutheran propaganda.

The rest of you can either close your eyes or just don't go outside.

I know what you are saying...

I think now it has come to pass where we need to be saying Freedom from Cults and organizations.

I mean... I love me some Jesus and happen to think really out there in terms of God... I just don't think ANYONE feels the same way as I do. I still am unsure of how I feel..I know what I know. I know what I think I know. This changes...but the one thing I still hold onto is Jesus. I don't know why...he makes me feel fuzzy all over I guess.

BUT...just cause he makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and I think I know what I know does not mean I want to pressure someone else to think like me. I want others to be ok with others. I want peace...Im a peace maker.

I don't want to be in a cult..or follow some religious teachings. I don't want someone telling me I have my own God (im not selfish at all) or that I believe in a fairy tale. Hell, its more than a fairy tale for me. Its years of studying history, artifacts, ancient texts, and so on and so on. I like to look at evidence and come up with something I DEEM fit for ME.

This is where I agree with someone who does not believe. They want evidence and so do I. The difference is someone who has evidence verses someone who doesn't.

I can say, "no one has seen God or talked to him". How do I know all those who claim they do are lying? I am not in them..I have no idea. How do I know all 7 billion people are like me in all senses. They may see something I don't see and vice versa.

For someone to say one does not have the right to post a billboard with their belief is denying them free speech. I get it.. but who cares already? Live and let live.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
You were also saying how you feel pressured and trapped.

No I didn't.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

Billboard Wars

It shows Athiest billboards but it also shows that Christians can hold their own when it comes to .....

but but but but I thought that the non-believers were supposed to be the mean and unreasonable ones?

They're basically just saying. "Think for yourself. Be good to others."

Then on the other side, we have these↓, which are basically saying "Believe in God. Do as we say, or DIE!!!

Ridiculous.....
"If you convince this kid to not believe in god, he will be evil. He will kill you!!"

reply to post by MamaJ

Exactly so when you say YOUR GOD you really have no reference either way...its a waste of breathe/typing.
Ok, so basically, you created 2 somewhat lengthy posts, just to tell me that I was wasting my time when I typed 2 short words? That's interesting.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by spav5

I don't deserve a response? Hah! I know which right wing blogger first coined the phrase "Religion of atheism." Do you? Do you know what his specific agenda was in creating that phrase?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

. . . but but but but I thought that the non-believers were supposed to be the mean and unreasonable ones?

I know.

Some of the God ones are very vicious.

I'm so tired of the whiny Christian persecution complex.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Ok, so basically, you created 2 somewhat lengthy posts, just to tell me that I was wasting my time when I typed 2 short words? That's interesting.
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I din't mean to offend you. Im sorry.. Not my intention at all!

There are archaeological finds all the time. There are truths to myths imo.

We will never agree on everything. Its not possible. There are waaay too many of us in the world for one..and for two..its just not possible. With that said...who cares what people put on a billboard? I don't ...I just think its funny to see the warring of words. People pay for it..and its funny. The Atheist group are what they despise. This is what I see. (me)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by spav5

I guess even if a person was stupid enough to believe that atheism is a religion......

The atheists still have yet to burn witches, lynch african americans, or drag homosexuals behind vehicles.

No but they did kill hundreds of millions in the name of the state. Example: the secular and atheistic regims of Russia and China. So, trying for a moral highground will not work in your argument.
Source

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I just love how easy it is to send everyone in a tizzy over a simple disagreement.

Chill out people, words only have the power over you that you give them.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Everyone has a right to their own beliefs and message. A sign that says go to church or you are going to hell can be just as insulting to someone as saying god is a myth. No party should be granted more or less than the other. If a sign offends you that's your problem.

I really used to be one of those live and let live people when it came to religions. In a way I still am. Let me live my life and you live yours and we'll not interfere with each other ok? However, it is an ideology that works only if all sides agree to do it. After thinking about it for a while I'm glad that some atheists are openly attacking religion and I am all for these signs. On the same token I am glad that religions are standing up to them. You see to me it is a system of checks and balances. Let's face it if one group completely takes over it rarely if ever turns out good. Let's say Christianity becomes dominant. How long before witch hunts start again? Even the moderates will eventually adapt to a new mind set. Not a Christian sorry no promotion for you. The same can be said for an anti religion movement. Religious folks should not be persecuted either. Thus no group should come to complete power.

Nothing of a symbolic nature bothers me. Churches of any kind, religious symbols, the sayings in the pledge or in god we trust on a dollar don't bother me. I chuckle at most religious signs. Signs that promote this agenda or are advertising the local strip club don't bother me. It is when we move from the realm of symbols and messages to people trying control what we do on a daily basis that bothers me.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Putting up public billboards is offering support to any and all who might feel the need for that support. A heavily religious area is exactly where an Atheist billboard needs to be - - to support those who may feel pressure or "trapped" by their environment.
reply to post by Annee

You are right..my bad... you said "support any and all (Atheists) who might feel.....

But before that you commented on how many church's were in a 4 block radius as to say you may be one of those people who feel pressured. Sorry. I was just assuming you meant you too. Shouldn't assume.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
It's their right so it shouldn't be such a big fuss if they wanna pay big money to literally advertise their ignorance.
But it isn't ignorance. God is by definition a myth. It would be ignorant to say otherwise.

Originally posted by BeforeTheHangmansNoose

myth   [mith] Show IPA
noun
a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
stories or matter of this kind: realm of myth.
any invented story, idea, or concept: His account of the event is pure myth.
an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

Everything seems to be in order here.

'God' is such an unbelievably overused term that it has lost all meaning it once had.

As a society we are in no position whatsoever to even begin explaining the idea of 'god'.

I'm not religious and i don't believe in 'god', but i believe in a higher governing power of inexpressible, colossal magnitude but is still a myth until myself, or anyone else can prove otherwise, not to mention how personal 'god' is to each person.
This post was on the first page. How do you miss that?
edit on 4-3-2012 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricySo you agree, indoctrinating/brainwashing children into believing in a sky fairy isnt right?

I believe you should let your children make up their own mind as they get older.

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by KrytiesBecause religion has been trying to convert people for thousands of years, 'bitching' about the evil pagans - to the point of imprisoning, torturing and executing those who do not believe in a/their God.

I'm a pagan. The time that occurred has long since passed. If i can get over it there's no reason anyone else here can use my flock as a reason to bash Christians.

Originally posted by KrytiesI don't see atheists torturing and executing religious folk do you?

Uh you are aware of what stalin did to Christians aren't you?

Originally posted by KrytiesNor do I see evidence of atheists having 'bitched' about religious folk for thousands of years - mainly because if they did they would be jailed, tortured and executed.
edit on 4/3/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

Well with the way things are going some of you are looking to make up on the time lost.

edit on 4-3-2012 by paganini because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Putting up public billboards is offering support to any and all who might feel the need for that support. A heavily religious area is exactly where an Atheist billboard needs to be - - to support those who may feel pressure or "trapped" by their environment.
reply to post by Annee

You are right..my bad... you said "support any and all (Atheists) who might feel.....

But before that you commented on how many church's were in a 4 block radius as to say you may be one of those people who feel pressured. Sorry. I was just assuming you meant you too. Shouldn't assume.

Thank you.

My comment about the amount of churches and religious related signs in a small area - - - is only about the comparison in number to a single Atheist billboard.

Not believing in god (or having feelings of not believing in a god) - - - while living in a highly religious area - - - - is equivalent to being gay in a fundamental religious family.

You need to know there is someone "out there" on your side - - someone who is offering their support.

That is why placing an Atheist billboard in a very religious area is the correct placement.
edit on 4-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
So what have the Athiests got to offer? After living a life in a world full of people without morals and full of deceit isn't it better to have hope of something better? What is the motive of a belief such as Atheism? Everything has a reason. I suppose they want more people to believe in their way and god is an obstacle.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
So what have the Athiests got to offer? After living a life in a world full of people without morals and full of deceit isn't it better to have hope of something better? What is the motive of a belief such as Atheism? Everything has a reason. I suppose they want more people to believe in their way and god is an obstacle.

So it's all about CHOOSING what to believe? If that's the case, you've proven religion is nothing but a load of crock. I'm going to start believing in Superman and projecting Bat signals on the clouds, while scoping out the NY skyscrapers for a glimpse of good ol' Spidey.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

The atheists still have yet to burn witches, lynch african americans, or drag homosexuals behind vehicles.

You're very true. However, look up Stalin. If we call kills "points" He has the high score. And a lot of those killings were done to anyone of Religious beliefs to try and oust them from his society...

Just thought I should set the record straight on that one. Atheists are just as evil as religion for religion itself doesn't kill, it's the people who misuse it as a tool of mass destruction as a power grab. Atheists may not use Religion for this purpose, but they still can use anything else that way. In my opinion, they're all tools (Theists and Atheists alike).

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join