It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group posts billboards in religious neighborhoods saying God is ‘a myth’

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by scooter3200

I agree you can choose to ignore advertisements,but by even making the decision to ignore the advert makes you aware of the product,thus the advertiser has done their job,the point has been made.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
For those who missed my post earlier in this tread I did a quick Google search on this and much to my surprise found out this issue goes both ways and I couldn't help but laugh.

Billboard Wars

It shows Athiest billboards but it also shows that t Christians can hold their own when it comes to .....

BILLBOARD WARS..

IT is just too funny!

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pixiefyre
For those who missed my post earlier in this tread I did a quick Google search on this and much to my surprise found out this issue goes both ways and I couldn't help but laugh.

Billboard Wars

It shows Athiest billboards but it also shows that t Christians can hold their own when it comes to .....

BILLBOARD WARS..

IT is just too funny!

NOW THAT is sooooooo funny! Yeah I would say both sides can war with Billboards.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
If atheism is a 'religion' - based on comments here and in other threads - shouldn't all atheists get tax exemption in the same way that churches do? Property taxes, income taxes all exempt due to our 'belief' in no deities?

My tax load is increased to make up for tax exemptions by religions.

Religious income in the US is over $100 Billion a year - all tax free! That doesn't include property taxes that don't get paid.
Strange how atheists don't get the same exemption. Strange how atheists get to pay more tax to uphold this ridiculous state of affairs.

"Oh, but think of all the charity work the churches do!"
Right, so do other non-religious organizations. They seem to manage fine.

Religion (and I will stress - NOT PERSONAL BELIEF) is a burden on the country.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

"is a burden on the country" .. not true.

Q. We often hear that religious people give more to charity than secularists. Is this true? A. In the year 2000, “religious” people (the 33 percent of the population who attend their houses of worship at least once per week) were 25 percentage points more likely to give charitably than “secularists” (the 27 percent who attend less than a few times per year, or have no religion). They were also 23 percentage points more likely to volunteer. When considering the average dollar amounts of money donated and time volunteered, the gap between the groups increases even further: religious people gave nearly four times more dollars per year, on average, than secularists ($2,210 versus $642). They also volunteered more than twice as often (12 times per year, versus 5.8 times).

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh

"to promote rational thinking" - you honestly BELIEVE that spending money on advertising messages like "God is a fairy tale" is rational? I think it is absolutely ridiculous.. bordering on retarded behavior.

There are a lot of things that people spend money are that are irrational, but spreading a message or stating an opinion are just that. I know middle class people that spend more on a purse than these people probably did on renting a billboard, and what is the message of the purse, 'I have money', so to me that is more of a 'retarded' message than questioning the existence of god.

Listen God is a WORD. It's one thing to argue against a specific Religion's beliefs.. but saying "God" is a fairy tale makes ZERO sense. Fairy tale in what context? What is God? I am positive my idea of God is 100% different then yours and as a word serve's the purpose of describing that idea absolutely perfectly. It doesn't matter if you think it's wrong or incomplete. Telling me it's a fairy tale is absolutely not rational in any way. It makes no sense.

See this is where I have most of my arguments, god is not flexible, there is a book that defines his actions and his beliefs which take any conforming of his personality out of question. If you do not believe in the bible god then you do not believe in god. You might believe in a 'higher spiritual being' but that is not god, god is a religious word and if you change the definition of god to be closer to your beliefs than you have missed the point.

Rather than people thinking they are original, which they are when they change their god to suit their beliefs, they continue to follow their same old religion even though the god of that religion would punish you for doing what you are doing.

People that believe in a higher energy or dimension are they evolution of religion which is a good thing. Religious people need to understand that no one knows what is after this life or what, if anything is in control of it, and that their own personal beliefs are equal to, if not better than the organized religions of today. Nobody has seen god, nobody knows god and nobody has a better connection to their spiritual beliefs than oneself. They need to stop relying on a religion as a crutch as in reality, religion teaches segregation and hate, and most spiritual people would have nothing of the like.

The universe you perceive came from somewhere/something. And if you'd like to promote a different word for that thing then go for it. But that concept is not a fairy tale. It's an ancient hypothesis. It is completely ignorant to believe that all religions/science did not develop around that hypothesis. It's ignorant denial.

Actually, the religions of today are pretty recent in human development, there were plenty of so-called gods before this one and there will probably be more.

The reason that religion and gods were created was to explain unexplainable events of the past, like day turning to night, the seasons, meteorites, weather...etc. Today we know what is happening when day turns to night and we have explanations for the rest, and what is still not 100% known in science will be one day be.

Do you know what Incommensurability is? I've long understood the truth this word defines.. But recently became aware of it. Check it out, you might find it interesting.

As a man that studies heavy physics I agree there are things that we have a hard time measuring...for now. To think in our future there will be things that we cannot measure is showing no 'faith' in humanity. One day we will have answers, we will follow evidence and theories and conclude the best answers we can at the time. Yes, they will change but that's the beauty of it.

To think all those thing that are incommensurable will remain that way is wrong, thoughts or feelings that are personal and literally indescribable sure, but the physical world will be explained in due time...

Pred...
edit on 4-3-2012 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
If atheism is a 'religion' - based on comments here and in other threads - shouldn't all atheists get tax exemption in the same way that churches do? Property taxes, income taxes all exempt due to our 'belief' in no deities?

My tax load is increased to make up for tax exemptions by religions.

Religious income in the US is over $100 Billion a year - all tax free! That doesn't include property taxes that don't get paid.
Strange how atheists don't get the same exemption. Strange how atheists get to pay more tax to uphold this ridiculous state of affairs.

"Oh, but think of all the charity work the churches do!"
Right, so do other non-religious organizations. They seem to manage fine.

Religion (and I will stress - NOT PERSONAL BELIEF) is a burden on the country.

Atheism is not a religion...only this new cult trying to proselytize and sending an anti-god message. That is the cult that is called a religion. They have highjacked the word atheist..but they are not atheists. I don't care about the billboards..I should put one up proclaiming bugs bunny a cartoon..and start a cult trying to convince everyone that bugs bunny is not real. True atheists do not believe in god..they do not hate god and they do not proselytize...what exactly would I be trying to convince people of..something that I don't believe in? Think about it.

I am against all people of all religions pedaling their beliefs like a cult.

I understand peoples anger at religions forcing their beliefs on others...creating a cult that does the same..is not the answer.

Peace

Perhaps they will one day be tax exempt when they finally admit that they are anti-god and not atheist.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh
reply to post by Badgered1

"is a burden on the country" .. not true.

Q. We often hear that religious people give more to charity than secularists. Is this true? A. In the year 2000, “religious” people (the 33 percent of the population who attend their houses of worship at least once per week) were 25 percentage points more likely to give charitably than “secularists” (the 27 percent who attend less than a few times per year, or have no religion). They were also 23 percentage points more likely to volunteer. When considering the average dollar amounts of money donated and time volunteered, the gap between the groups increases even further: religious people gave nearly four times more dollars per year, on average, than secularists ($2,210 versus $642). They also volunteered more than twice as often (12 times per year, versus 5.8 times).

There's a world of difference between voluntary contribution, and forced contribution. I am forced to pay additional taxes to keep religions tax free. If their income is in excess of $100 Billion, and property at >$600 Billion, that's a lot of taxes not being paid by them, and more by me.
Were I relived of the tax burden, I might be more inclined to give more to charity.

Level the playing field. All churches pay all taxes. We'll see where the money really is.

In addition, nobody ever tells me that I'm going to burn in hell if I don't contribute.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azadok

And many feel the same way about atheists who believe in the fairy tale of evolution. So life is a matter of perspective one mans ignorance is another mans truth. Personally I believe anyone who thinks we evolved from some primordial ooze to the plethora of life on earth today are willfully ignorant .

Fairy tale of evolution? Do you the science of genetics or anything about DNA? With the fact that we share DNA with almost everything on the planet should provide some evidence to the assumption that evolution is true, no?

What about all the evidence that has been collected in fossils? Showing progression in evolution? Or what about island specific species that have evolved and changed in ways no other on earth has?

What about dogs? They all came from wolves less that 10,000 years ago. We have played god and controlled their evolution, but yet a great Dane can still mate with a chihuahua and create puppies, because they are the same species even though they have been made to look different. By artificial selection, by us, we have evolved a species to suit our need and desired looks.

Evidence is evidence, the fact that you choose to ignore blatant evidence is by definition ignorance....

Pred...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I would'nt worry about it,whatever their reason for putting up the billboards-no one can force anyone to believe/disbelieve anything.Go with what your own heart and Spirit tells you-in all things. Just wondering though-if some Christians were to put up billboards stating: "Jesus is a fact,atheists are wrong!"..Those Christians would be taking a looot of flack,im sure-case would propably be in the Supreme Court the next day.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

And? They are just trying to place doubt in people's minds who are on the fence. If you are religious it will not make a lick of difference. Want to worship a tree? Fine. Want to worship God. Ok. Want to worship billboards with the Atheists- ok. Are the Atheists tired of religion being pushed on them...yeah, I would imagine, but I am tired of them whining about it- but still it's their right to whine. I am tired of the Mormon's showing up at my door, but I am still kind to them and send them on their way-but I am not going to go down to their Temple and get in there face about it.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
I would'nt worry about it,whatever their reason for putting up the billboards-no one can force anyone to believe/disbelieve anything.Go with what your own heart and Spirit tells you-in all things. Just wondering though-if some Christians were to put up billboards stating: "Jesus is a fact,atheists are wrong!"..Those Christians would be taking a looot of flack,im sure-case would propably be in the Supreme Court the next day.

There are churches on every corner here, the religious holidays have become our national holidays, religions are exempt from paying income tax and we have plenty of billboards promoting god let alone the rhetoric of crap spewed on TV about god.

The fact that there are people saying in public schools they do not want religion to be taught is a national matter when we have a separate school system that teaches their beliefs is too much for them to handle.

Relgion is everywhere in western culture and they always teach 'freedom of religion', but what about freedom from religion?

Pred...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Lack of belief - - is not anti-belief. Atheist means lack of belief in a god/deity- - that is all it means. It does not mean anti-god.

Religion would require a doctrine of belief - - - which Atheist does not have.

Individual (or group) Atheists can have varying Atheist philosophies. This is their personal right. But that is Atheist Philosophy - - - which is different then the actual definition of Atheist.

Within a 4 block radius of my house - - there are 6 churches. All of them have big signs out front with God messages.

American Atheists main purpose is to keep God out of government.

Putting up public billboards is offering support to any and all who might feel the need for that support. A heavily religious area is exactly where an Atheist billboard needs to be - - to support those who may feel pressure or "trapped" by their environment.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
Just wondering though-if some Christians were to put up billboards stating: "Jesus is a fact,atheists are wrong!"..Those Christians would be taking a looot of flack,im sure-case would propably be in the Supreme Court the next day.

Google Images: anti-atheist billboards

Here's one: godlesspaladin.com...

edit on 4-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Lack of belief - - is not anti-belief. Atheist means lack of belief in a god/deity- - that is all it means. It does not mean anti-god.

Individual (or group) Atheists can have varying Atheist philosophies. This is their personal right. But that is Atheist Philosophy - - - which is different then the actual definition of Atheist.

Within a 4 block radius of my house - - there are 6 churches. All of them have big signs out front with God messages.

Putting up public billboards is offering support to any and all who might feel the need for that support. A heavily religious area is exactly where an Atheist billboard needs to be - - to support those who may feel pressure or "trapped" by their environment.

Their money would be better spent creating billboards stating KEEP RELIGION OUT OF GOVERNMENT...Don't you think?

Not trying to recruit people in their anti-god movement.

You are right atheism is not anti-god..only these people calling themselves atheists. From what I see..it is their word now...everywhere I go I see anti-god cult claiming to be atheists...it is just a word..and they have claimed it.

peace

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Within a 4 block radius of my house - - there are 6 churches. All of them have big signs out front with God messages. American Atheists main purpose is to keep God out of government. Putting up public billboards is offering support to any and all who might feel the need for that support. A heavily religious area is exactly where an Atheist billboard needs to be - - to support those who may feel pressure or "trapped" by their environment.
reply to post by Annee

But there are that many gas stations within a four block radius from me ..all pressuring me to buy something on their building or sign... So what? I don't care...it's not hurting me in the least and I sure don't feel trapped and you shouldn't either.

For someone who has no belief of a god and do not like hearing others beliefs...why then would you hold up a sign telling people what you don't believe? It makes no sens to me.. its just not rational to me...but hey... I do KNOW I am one out of 7 billion so I can assure you not everyone believes or doesn't believe and..... its OK.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I would like to mention (for the sake of keeping this thread on topic, and keeping the discussion in hand) that the validity of religion and atheism is not in question (although it may be somewhat relevant).

The question here is whether atheists have as much right to pay for advertising as the religious sects do.

In my opinion, they do. Are we not allowed to pay to have our expressions displayed to the world, as long as it harms no one? I'd give these atheists a handshake (not that I agree with them) just for having the guts to do it.

There's something to be said for standing up and declaring your beliefs to the world. People who stay quiet are a dime a dozen; it's the people who stand up for what they believe that deserve respect.

After spouting all this stuff about standing your ground and making people listen, are we really going to berate these people for having an opinion? For resisting the oppressors?

That's what I see here: people trying to oppress each other in the name of denying ignorance.

Stop being such hypocrites.
edit on CSundaypm404056f56America/Chicago04 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by spav5

Their money would be better spent creating billboards stating KEEP RELIGION OUT OF GOVERNMENT...Don't you think?

You are right atheism is not anti-god..only these people calling themselves atheists. From what I see..it is their word now...everywhere I go I see anti-god cult claiming to be atheists...it is just a word..and they have claimed it.

peace

NO. They do fight God in government in court.

Offering support is offering support. No different then religious billboards.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by spav5

peace

NO. They do fight God in government in court.

Offering support is offering support. No different then religious billboards.

You are stating my point...they are no different than religious billboards.

Peace
edit on 4-3-2012 by spav5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Within a 4 block radius of my house - - there are 6 churches. All of them have big signs out front with God messages. American Atheists main purpose is to keep God out of government. Putting up public billboards is offering support to any and all who might feel the need for that support. A heavily religious area is exactly where an Atheist billboard needs to be - - to support those who may feel pressure or "trapped" by their environment.
reply to post by Annee

But there are that many gas stations within a four block radius from me ..all pressuring me to buy something on their building or sign... So what? I don't care...it's not hurting me in the least and I sure don't feel trapped and you shouldn't either.

For someone who has no belief of a god and do not like hearing others beliefs...why then would you hold up a sign telling people what you don't believe? It makes no sens to me.. its just not rational to me...but hey... I do KNOW I am one out of 7 billion so I can assure you not everyone believes or doesn't believe and..... its OK.

What do gas stations have to do with anything - - - and where are Atheists telling you to buy something?

Well - - ya know what - - with the crazy Christian Right doing every thing they can in this country to try and control every one's life - body - marriage - etc. - - - I am sure many people - - especially young people are questioning the "reality" of God.

Atheists billboards are a good thing. And have every right to sit right up there next to the God boards.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join