It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group posts billboards in religious neighborhoods saying God is ‘a myth’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I would say that any form of advertising,is forcing something down your throat.Maybe the term forcing down your throat is a bit strong,by this i mean pushing your veiw's onto someone in away that they cant avoid.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
The problem with these evangelizing atheists is that they don't get it. They are very literal minded, concrete thinking, materialists for the most part. So they assume if anyone has a spiritual side, it can only be from brain washing. Since there is no 'evidence' of a god in the sensory, material way that is the ONLY way these people perceive things. (Although there is that evidence, but I'll give them that point for the moment so I can make my argument)

So therefore, the world just needs to be woken up to the 'myth' of religious faith. And it's their job to do it since the rest of us are too brainwashed to know what hit us.

What they don't get is that some people perceive and receive input on other channels besides the concrete literal sensory input channel.

But what they REALLY seem not to get is that people have a right to be 'wrong.' Which is interesting since they term themselves 'free thinkers' who believe in human liberty.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by spav5

The "religion of atheism" didn't do much for our perception of your intelligence either, but that didn't stop you from regurgitating it.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well they are going to be hunted down and killed by the Islamo-facists - that's for sure.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Hillarie

I applaud people who are wrong. Being "wrong" and / or making mistakes is how new good things "come into being." I try to make 10 mistakes a day.

My only beef with "religion" (any religion) is when believers try to enforce their belief system on others, through peer pressure and / or legislation.

Then the big guns come out.

You can "believe" whatever you want to believe. Personally -- I have no doubt that the universe has a spiritual / divine antecedent. I just don't subscribe to ANY of the human religions, because they ALL have their origins in tribalism, and I am not interested in tribalism.

Ergo: Because I do not subscribe to ANY human religion, and think they are all desperately short the mark, I am an atheist. It's not a religion, its a rejection of the concept of religion.

YMMV, obviously.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
reply to post by MamaJ

I do want to ask though...WHO is MY God? When others speak of MY God I become irritated by the fact that he/she/it was never understood to be MY GOD.
Sorry, I can't help you with that. That is a question that only you can answer, since it is you whom believes in him/her/it.

If one deems them self as an Atheist then when I say "atheist" I am referring to the person who considers them self to be an "atheist"
I don't believe in categorization.

Exactly so when you say YOUR GOD you really have no reference either way...its a waste of breathe/typing. If you asked me about MY god I couldn't tell you much..so you see there is no MY god or YOUR god in my eyes.

Categorization may not be a belief of yours but it is evident all who consider them self a part of a group and or cult. If you do not consider yourself in a category...guess what me either. Not only do we not...but there are many who don't either. You either are part of a group or your'e not.

Assumptions can go on and on but where there is evidence..now that is where my heart is. Even evidence is based on perception.

A billboard can say whatever...as long as no one is holding a gun to my head...Im cool with it.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by paganini

Who cares? The 'atheists' are using their right to freedom of speech. This is the crux of the matter, and in a country where "Freedom of Speech" is touted as a cornerstone of your civilisation, I see absolutely no issue with them putting up billboards.

Correct. If atheists want to waste their money on ads that attack instead of inform, that's their waste of money. If directed at religions, why not ads like: "If God gave you a brain, then use it." "God wants you to study science." I know, bad examples, but I'm posting on billboards.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I would say that any form of advertising,is forcing something down your throat.Maybe the term forcing down your throat is a bit strong,by this i mean pushing your veiw's onto someone in away that they cant avoid.

Not really, you can choose to ignore billboards or any advertising median entirely if you wish. I ignore the major networks news all the time, except to see what propaganda they are currently trying to sell. a billboard is no different!

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Atheism is a religion, just like abstinence is a sex position.

Get a grip people, when atheist are telling others god doesn't exist, it's not to join our 'cool' club, it's is to promote rational thinking.

The fact there is so much willful ignorance by people just accepting that god created it all is what is scary to me. And when they claim people who do not believe their crazy tales about god creating it all are lumped into a so-called 'religion', that is even more scary.

I am an atheist. When I talk to people that believe in religion I do not try and push my thoughts upon them, for if reason was a trait they possessed they would be anti-religious from the get-go. I will try though, as I am not afraid to argue my point and I usually know more about their religion then they do. You would be surprised how many people that believe in a certain faith have not read their 'holy book'...

Athiests do not preach, we do not have weekly meetings and we do not kill others or have hatred because of their beliefs. We are rational people who have taken a look at the evidence available to us and come to the conclusion that they can be no god.

If Jesus were to come down from heaven tomorrow, I would believe in him because there would be evidence of him. I would say, 'wow, they were right and now there is evidence'. You can have your own opinions but you cannot make up your own facts...

Pred...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by scooter3200

I noticed the video link was broke. here is the video I meant to post along with my previous comment:
youtu.be...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by chuckk
How about anti-Atheist billboard slogans?
Here are mine, what are yours?

"Will you still be an atheist on your Death Bed?"

You will be what ever it is you have made yourself to be at that point

"95% of the population believe in God, so what's your problem?"

the amount of people that share a belief or idea has no bearing on its validity or truth.

"Think God" (yes, from the "Oh God" movie)

good movie.

Just wanted to clarify your statements.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Atheism is fine and dandy.. But spending time promoting it has got to be one of the most inane things i have ever heard of. Promoting disbelief in religion? Why? Because you believe so strongly in the dis-belief? haha OK. Good luck with your belief in dis-belief. Very ironic.

What we are witnessing is the development of the organization of disbelief in religion. The billboards are essentially ads for whatever society of atheism is putting them out there. They are looking for support and money to spread their message. Like cancer society's who's entire focus becomes the preservation of the society over the search for a cure. This is the very problem with Religion. The irony is really something.

Wonder how long until we see some hate crimes against atheists.. haha. Would love to see a big crucifix spray painted on the billboard. Or a big "Love one another" spray painted over it. hahaha that would be awesome.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

What a waste of money , the vast majority of the faithful no matter what religion will see this as nothing more than a waste of money better spent on the needy if the group wanted attention.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

it's is to promote rational thinking.
reply to post by predator0187

Which is your belief. Church's and the like... promote a belief too which they deem rational.

Rational thinking can only be had when?? Who makes this rule of rational thinking??

Two wrongs wouldn't make a right no matter how many times one tries to justify.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

TextThe fact there is so much willful ignorance by people just accepting that god created it all is what is scary to me. And when they claim people who do not believe their crazy tales about god creating it all are lumped into a so-called 'religion', that is even more scary.

And many feel the same way about atheists who believe in the fairy tale of evolution. So life is a matter of perspective one mans ignorance is another mans truth. Personally I believe anyone who thinks we evolved from some primordial ooze to the plethora of life on earth today are willfully ignorant .

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Atheism is a religion, just like abstinence is a sex position.

Get a grip people, when atheist are telling others god doesn't exist, it's not to join our 'cool' club, it's is to promote rational thinking.

The fact there is so much willful ignorance by people just accepting that god created it all is what is scary to me. And when they claim people who do not believe their crazy tales about god creating it all are lumped into a so-called 'religion', that is even more scary.

I am an atheist. When I talk to people that believe in religion I do not try and push my thoughts upon them, for if reason was a trait they possessed they would be anti-religious from the get-go. I will try though, as I am not afraid to argue my point and I usually know more about their religion then they do. You would be surprised how many people that believe in a certain faith have not read their 'holy book'...

Athiests do not preach, we do not have weekly meetings and we do not kill others or have hatred because of their beliefs. We are rational people who have taken a look at the evidence available to us and come to the conclusion that they can be no god.

If Jesus were to come down from heaven tomorrow, I would believe in him because there would be evidence of him. I would say, 'wow, they were right and now there is evidence'. You can have your own opinions but you cannot make up your own facts...

Pred...

"to promote rational thinking" - you honestly BELIEVE that spending money on advertising messages like "God is a fairy tale" is rational? I think it is absolutely ridiculous.. bordering on retarded behavior.

Listen God is a WORD. It's one thing to argue against a specific Religion's beliefs.. but saying "God" is a fairy tale makes ZERO sense. Fairy tale in what context? What is God? I am positive my idea of God is 100% different then yours and as a word serve's the purpose of describing that idea absolutely perfectly. It doesn't matter if you think it's wrong or incomplete. Telling me it's a fairy tale is absolutely not rational in any way. It makes no sense.

The universe you perceive came from somewhere/something. And if you'd like to promote a different word for that thing then go for it. But that concept is not a fairy tale. It's an ancient hypothesis. It is completely ignorant to believe that all religions/science did not develop around that hypothesis. It's ignorant denial.

Do you know what Incommensurability is? I've long understood the truth this word defines.. But recently became aware of it. Check it out, you might find it interesting.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
In response to thread title:

They have every right to do this. If Christians can post billboards, atheists can too.

Otherwise, it's religious discrimination.

Besides, if they're paying for it, why not?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
reply to post by spav5

The "religion of atheism" didn't do much for our perception of your intelligence either, but that didn't stop you from regurgitating it.

You really don't deserve a response..I don't believe that you read any of the posts about this...but, some people just don't have the mental capacity to get it. Is it their fault? I doubt it.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
In response to thread title:

They have every right to do this. If Christians can post billboards, atheists can too.

Otherwise, it's religious discrimination.

Besides, if they're paying for it, why not?

They certainly have the right. And Catholics can make a billboard saying "When you die you will have wings, a white robe and a harp which will be played to God who has a big white beard". But they wouldn't want to make fools of themselves.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

it's is to promote rational thinking.

Which is your belief. Church's and the like... promote a belief too which they deem rational.

Rational thinking can only be had when?? Who makes this rule of rational thinking??

Two wrongs wouldn't make a right no matter how many times one tries to justify.

Churches promote rational thinking? Universe was formed in 7 days by a creator, our earth was made 6000 years ago, then a man who was created in 'gods' image was plopped on the earth, then when he became lonely this creator made a partner from his rib, and in turn these people must bow down and worship this god and no other or else they will burn eternally in hell.

Rational thinking is looking at evidence, ie., the actual age of the earth, the fact there was species before us that lived millions of years ago, the fact that our DNA is 98% similar to chimpanzees saying that we came from the same species tree as them, finding our genetic relatives which we evolved from into what we are today, showing how everything that is around us today was once inside a star and as it exploded it provided many elements which sustain our life today.

The rule of rational thinking is too look at and analyze all the facts and make an educated guess, not read a book that has been rewritten many, many times about a fictitious man that speaks to people and is jealous, about how he made everything.

I do not understand why looking at the evidence that we have collected is a wrong... There was a time when the church ruled that world and it was called 'the dark ages' for a reason. Think about all the brilliant minds that were put to death because they did not conform to religion, if that's rationality, then there is no helping you.

Pred...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join