It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group posts billboards in religious neighborhoods saying God is ‘a myth’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by paganini

Yes but this is what it immediately turned into. Why cant i bitch and this group can?.
Religious folks and atheist bitch to no end on this matter and want to pretend the other camp is conspiring against them.

Because religion has been trying to convert people for thousands of years, 'bitching' about the evil pagans - to the point of imprisoning, torturing and executing those who do not believe in a/their God.

I don't see atheists torturing and executing religious folk do you? Nor do I see evidence of atheists having 'bitched' about religious folk for thousands of years - mainly because if they did they would be jailed, tortured and executed.
edit on 4/3/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by spirit_horse
I not sure they thought this idea through. Take one look at what radicals do when someone make fun of their religion. I am thinking they may have to be looking over their shoulder. And I am thinking more of the Islamic Radicals here. Just ask the Dutch cartoonist that drew an effige of their prophet.

To put those billboards in their community in their language is just asking to stir up trouble. Of course, they will probably be painted over the first night they are up.

edit on 4/3/12 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

A good reason to do it. Draw the extremists out of the woodwork so they can be prosecuted.

It is not acceptable to have a society where an idea cannot be criticised for fear of violent attack by a supporter of the idea.

The minute somebody says 'hmm better not say that lest it provoke a nutter' then all is lost.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

No. Atheists just sat on their asses and let all this stuff happen.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher
reply to post by Wertdagf

No. Atheists just sat on their asses and let all this stuff happen.

Could it be that they were too scared to speak up for fear of being tortured and executed? Nah....couldn't be that at all.....it MUST be the 'lazy atheists' fault.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by paganini

And that's just it. No one should attempt to guide anyone's beliefs and just mind their own damn business. There is plenty of easily accessible material for people to find regarding religion and atheism therefore the individual should be left to look for answers on their own.

So you agree, indoctrinating/brainwashing children into believing in a sky fairy isnt right?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by el1jah
whats with atheists acting so religious these days?

Ironic! They feel as strong about their "belief" as the religious people. They have their own cult now...I am waiting to see what "their book" says.

Anyone who believes passionately about their belief wants to share it with others....I don't see anything wrong with the Atheists message. Free speech is welcomed by me, but I do wonder when they will form their church and Big book.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Something I wish ALL people could do....is... remember that just because someone believes in "god" does not mean they are any member of a religion. I can believe in God and not be a part of a religion. I take them all in and digest it..... there is a belief had by ALL people but it doesn't mean any one is right or wrong...it is A PREFERENCE.

Too bad people cannot just let others alone to their belief without personal attacks on said belief which happens to be personal to most. Just my opinion though.

Even though I do not understand some religions and the Atheist's I still do not think they are wrong for having a belief.

And...even though I do not understand the "cult" mind frame...I still cannot say it is a bad thing in all instances.

Live and let live I say.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
when i was young and completely immersed in the Catholic tradition..
even i thought Madalyn Murray 'the athiest' was a total wacko..

but that was before the acts of growing up & becoming worldly wise...

re:

Madalyn Murray O'Hair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madalyn_Murray_O'Hair
Madalyn Murray O'Hair (April 13, 1919 – September 29, 1995) was an American atheist activist and founder of the organization American Atheist...

"founder of American Athiest"
she was murdered

Murder of Madalyn Murray O'Hair
www.wjmurray.com/
Apr 5, 2011 – William J. Murray, the son of infamous atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair examines her rather bizarre life and even more bizarre murder. ...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
atheists should not be trying to force their beliefs down to pepoles throats,it brings to mind jehovah witnesses knocking on your door,or the mad preacher how stands in the town center shouting their particular brand of nonsense ,atheists should not lower themselves,be better than that .

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Originally posted by MamaJ

Something I wish ALL people could do....is... remember that just because someone believes in "god" does not mean they are any member of a religion. I can believe in God and not be a part of a religion....
& vice versa.

Originally posted by MamaJ

Even though I do not understand some religions and the Atheist's I still do not think they are wrong for having a belief.
[color=BDFFCA]The fact that I don't believe in your god, is not a valid reason to group me in as just one of 'The Atheists'.

[color=8A8A8A]That is not necessarily directed at you. It is just directed at most of the conversations that so often seem to coincide with any discussions pertaining to atheists.

[color=BDFFCA]I don't believe in atheism.

edit on 3/4/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by thebabyseagull

Originally posted by thebabyseagull

atheists should not be trying to [color=F7CAA3]force their beliefs down to pepoles throats
I have never seen one of these billboards. How many are there?

All that I have seen, regarding this particular billboard, is a single thread on ATS. If I close this tab, I won't even see it anymore.

Doesn't quite seem like it is actually being [color=F7CAA3]'forced down peoples' throats'.

edit on 3/4/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Just another example that religion and rationality don't always go hand in hand...and atheism is included

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It is freedom of speech, who cares. No one makes a thread when a church puts up a billboard saying God exists.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I just see people who are fed up with religion actually getting up and doing something about it. Even if it is just to give the other side of the coin. Atheism used to be only the absence of a belief in god. Yet still I have been preched to at work, have been sent emails saying "jeebus loves me", or worse "one day jeebus will come to me". That was pure and simple harassment. I have also been followed from platform into the tube in London, constantly being preached to. As much as atheism used to be a silent constant, people are getting so fed up about religious righteousness now that we who don't believe give you some of your annoyance back. I don't think it is military [
] atheism, it is people who don't believe, using their free speech to shut you lot up!
SHUT UP!

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I think the statement "god is a myth" has some validity to it...but to understand this in the correct way will take some research for any individual to understand.
The basic idea's of what god represents are more or less quite the same throughout all religions for the most part, lets break a few of them down and I will give you my viewpoint on each one
1- god is the creator of the universe and all within it
1A- This one can be tricky without a complete understanding, their is a creator of this universe, I think almost anyone can agree with this part, however, the true nature of this creator is widely misunderstood. the true nature of the creator is pure consciousness, pure energy. Many call this "the source field"(david Willcock), many call it "the Christ consciousness", many simply call it "creation". Call it what you wish but understand its true nature, you will find this very beneficial in all aspects of life.

2- the false concepts of god include;
2A- god is not a HE or SHE...god is both masculine/feminine
Notice the duality of the universe, male/female, magnetic fields have +north/-south poles, good/evil, love/fear, etc.
god does not judge us in anyway shape or form, nor does (he/it) punish us.
We are here to learn by direct physical experience, do you judge and punish your 5 year old child while learning to write when she makes a mistake?, then why would your creator do so?...the logic of both are the same, we learn by trial and error, to call an error a "sin" is incorrect.

god does not "command' us to follow any "commandments", nor does (he/it demand worship. To worship a being is the same basic idea and logic to be enslaved by it, it robs you of all free-will, witch undermines evolution as it is meant to be. If you ask "then how do we keep from chaos?" the answer is to seek wisdom, we all know right from wrong at birth, it is written in your DNA, it is part of your consciousness.

Some truths are hard to accept, and the truth is mankind has been placed under a "god spell" that is undermining his peaceful evolution. Religion is a twisted view of reality, wisdom, and harmony, and has caused more bloodshed than any other single idea, cause it creates separateness, disharmony, and judgment between peoples.
So in all reality it is true....god is a myth, the idea in its entirety is the myth...Read Zacharia Sitchin's books...read the "law of one" here for free: www.lawofone.info...
try this you tube video...seek your own truth, but don't. be devoted to someone else idea's, that is the path of a fool

And who I am and what I believe is irrelevant...I am part of no group at all...for I believe in TRUTH...and believe me, the truth has not yet been told to the masses...anyone who thinks that is not true, take a look at history and current events, and stop kidding yourself!.

I say to any "bashers" you prove your own ignorance...get educated, you will be happier!

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

The fact that I don't believe in your god, is not a valid reason to group me in as just one of 'The Atheists'.
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I understand....

I do want to ask though...WHO is MY God? When others speak of MY God I become irritated by the fact that he/she/it was never understood to be MY GOD.

If one deems them self as an Atheist then when I say "atheist" I am referring to the person who considers them self to be an "atheist" and like wise if they claimed they were Christian or Muslim.

I believe in God but not a religious God. I tend to look at the beauty of creation around me and in the Universe as something much bigger than me by the looks of it...but I do not claim I mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. At some point people need to surrender and say I DONT KNOW but this is what I think. Thinking something is not factual, therefore it cannot be proven. I can say I think I know where Jesus body is and where his disciples are buried but that still does not prove he was the Son of God.

Each belief is special and unique imo....I respect them all.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It's their right so it shouldn't be such a big fuss if they wanna pay big money to literally advertise their ignorance.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
How about anti-Atheist billboard slogans?
Here are mine, what are yours?

"Will you still be an atheist on your Death Bed?"

"95% of the population believe in God, so what's your problem?"

"Think God" (yes, from the "Oh God" movie)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by xuenchen

It is freedom of speech, who cares. No one makes a thread when a church puts up a billboard saying God exists.

This is soooooooo true for me as well! Who cares what someone else thinks...doesn't make or break me in any way.

Come at me with a gun forcing me to believe what you believe and there will be problems.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I do want to ask though...WHO is MY God? When others speak of MY God I become irritated by the fact that he/she/it was never understood to be MY GOD.
Sorry, I can't help you with that. That is a question that only you can answer, since it is you whom believes in him/her/it.

If one deems them self as an Atheist then when I say "atheist" I am referring to the person who considers them self to be an "atheist"
I don't believe in categorization.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join