It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group posts billboards in religious neighborhoods saying God is ‘a myth’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Wow... Talk about one for the record of short sighted. If they can billboard us to death about how there isn't a God, and they want that 'belief' system (the lack of one, actually) to be heard with the same volume as religion, then religion can rightfully demand and receive similar billboard space. Even the ACLU doesn't have lawyers with enough creativity to allow one and not the other. Not when both would be mentioning God and the Atheists set the precedent.

Can anyone imagine the billboard forest that could result? It'd be funny if the Catholics and others weren't already being pushed into the realm of politics..and so already in a frame of mind to have that very thing occur to them as a great idea to push back a bit.

If I were actually an Atheist, I'd be downright mad about this. This would seem to be a rather large step in the wrong direction and like firing a big shotgun, backward.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by spav5

By the bibles standard... or yours?

Because we all know that hearing voices and attempting to murder your children for god is a "smart" thing to do... you know.. the kind of "smart" idiots are used to.

Not to be rude but ..you are in over your head. If I am correct you are part of this new cult of atheism. The intelligent people who used to call themselves atheist are embarrassed to do so now because of people like you.

Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
In a country where "Freedom of Speech" is touted as a cornerstone of your countries existence, what I am seeing here is a group of people exercising their right to free speech.

I see no problem with this at all....unless you're trying to say people do not have the right to free speech?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by spav5

Im trying to prepare myself for their inevitible self-destruction by belittleing and dehumanizing them.

This way when these ignorant beliefs evaporate from within grasp i wont feel so bad about it. Its alot harder to accept you cant help people than i thought.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

reply to post by spav5

Im trying to prepare myself for their inevitible self-destruction by belittleing and dehumanizing them.

This way when these ignorant beliefs evaporate from within grasp i wont feel so bad about it. Its alot harder to accept you cant help people than i thought.

Stop trying to help people that do not want to be helped. That is the job of organized religions.

It will make your life a lot easier.

Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by spav5

If there will be collateral damage then its my buisness... emotional or physical.

There are people who deserve a hope that is not your false light. Im going to give it to them...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

reply to post by spav5

If there will be collateral damage then its my buisness... emotional or physical.

There are people who deserve a hope that is not your false light. Im going to give it to them...

Not sure what false light you are talking about...but, good luck to you.

Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
offensive? nobody gets up in arms about religious idiots posting their billboards EVERYWHERE you go. but since it doesn't fit in with what you believe it's offensive? guess what people, NOT EVERYBODY BELIEVES THE SAME THING YOU DO. get over it.

religion. breeding the most hypocritical people on earth for centuries

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

When you begin trying to convert people of other faiths to Atheism .... does that not, essentially, mean Atheism becomes a religion?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I am constantly astounded at the amount of effort those of religious persuasion go to to try to paint atheists as being just like them.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Rockpuck

I am constantly astounded at the amount of effort those of religious persuasion go to to try to paint atheists as being just like them.

Well how exactly is trying to get people to convert to your philosophy and insulting those of another different?

I dont think some atheists are willing to acknowledge all of this boils down to fanaticism and it can just as easily apply to them as any other ideology

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
After a brief search it appears that there might be two sides to this story.

Billboard Wars

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by paganini

Well how exactly is trying to get people to convert to your philosophy and insulting those of another different?

Congratulations, you just described people of religious persuasion perfectly.

BTW, I am not an atheist 'fanatic'. I have personally witnessed how religion can completely and utterly destroy a family (being mine), and I have watched how those who helped do it spend the next 10 years justifying it.

Religion, in my case Christianity, to me is hatred and lies, used for the purposes of control.
edit on 4/3/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher

This is stupid and dangerous. It's going to backfire. They are going to have everyone pissed off at them. They will eventually regret it.

That kinda sounds like a threat, so I guess that means that you're a devoted Christian?

Threatening non-believers with the [color=E87672]Wrath of God!!

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
[color=FFF94D]Each and every one of you, that has a problem with this, is doing no more than trying to deny the right to free speech.

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Wow... Talk about one for the record of short sighted. If they can billboard us to death about how there isn't a God, and they want that 'belief' system (the lack of one, actually) to be heard with the same volume as religion, then religion can rightfully demand and receive similar billboard space.....
Which planet do you live on? Religion is splattered across billboards everywhere.

"Demand billboard space"?? Billboards are paid for. It is not a right. It is a purchase. Big difference.

ETA: Since there is a possibility that this post could cause confusion for some people, I will go ahead and clarify:

• A right for Free Speech? Yes.
  • A right for a free billboard? NO.

edit on 3/4/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

• posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:03 AM
    link   

Originally posted by KrytiesCongratulations, you just described people of religious persuasion perfectly.

I have described SOME that way. just as i perfectly described some atheists that way as well. People often have a very shallow scope of the world thus often conclude the few people they meet speak for the behavior and outlook of various groups that number in the millions.

If atheism is supposed to be for the thinking man then a proponent of it should have enough grey matter to realize. that a group as large as say Christians or Hindus would have a very diverse set of beliefs., Grouping them all in together because you saw an annoying billboard or you knew someone who's life was destroyed by it isn't logical.

While Christianity isn't my cup of tea i was raised by christian parents. They didn't force it on me, didn't believe in church and didn't use it as a crutch. and guess what there are alot of others like that as well.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:10 AM
    link   
    Boo hoo.

I'm a Christian, and this doesn't really offend me. It's a group spending their money the way they see fit.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:21 AM
    link   
    Although the U.S. gives one the right of Free Speech....I think this is a reaction to some Religious Groups poor taste and just plain being mean....by harrassing Women and Doctors in front of Planned Parenthood Clinics as well as some groups of Anti-War Religious groups who protested Military Funerals of Gay Soldiers or just Soldiers who died in war and their parents were treated to signs by Evangelical Groups signs saying....Your Son or Daughter Died as a Punishment for Gay Marriage or Don't ask Don't Tell or when that was changed.

I think it is poor judgement on all sides. I am a peace loving guy...but I can tell you...if a Religious Group or Aethist Group tried to disrupt the Military Funeral Service of my childhoods friends SON who was KIA in Afghanistan....I would NOT be able to hold myself back....and that would be a horrible thing.
    Split Infinity

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:38 AM
    link   
    reply to post by paganini

Who cares? The 'atheists' are using their right to freedom of speech. This is the crux of the matter, and in a country where "Freedom of Speech" is touted as a cornerstone of your civilisation, I see absolutely no issue with them putting up billboards.

Diddums to the religious folk who disagree.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:36 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Kryties
    reply to post by paganini

Who cares? The 'atheists' are using their right to freedom of speech. This is the crux of the matter, and in a country where "Freedom of Speech" is touted as a cornerstone of your civilisation, I see absolutely no issue with them putting up billboards.

Diddums to the religious folk who disagree.

Yes but this is what it immediately turned into. Why cant i bitch and this group can?.
    Religious folks and atheist bitch to no end on this matter and want to pretend the other camp is conspiring against them. . A lot of it can be resolved by simply leaving each other be. While the billboard wars are an exercise in freedom of speech it doesn't change the fact that its trivial and makes them both look like two children squabbling over who gets to eat the last stick of paste.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join