It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group posts billboards in religious neighborhoods saying God is ‘a myth’

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST

reply to post by Kryties

yes you heard me right- since it is scientifically impossible to prove the existence or absence of a creator,ATHEISM is a "BELIEVE" in the ABSENCE of GOD and requires just as much or even more FAITH than to believe in a creator.

Lack of belief is not a belief. It is lack of belief.

It is not that difficult to comprehend.

i dont relly think you understand what im saying read it carefully. - since it is scientifically impossible to prove the existence or absence of a creator,ATHEISM is a "BELIEVE" in the ABSENCE of GOD and requires just as much or even more FAITH than to believe in a creator.

I do not need to read it again.

I know exactly what you are saying. And you are wrong.

Lack of belief is Lack of belief. End of story.

it is a lack of belief that requires FAITH

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher
reply to post by xuenchen

This is stupid and dangerous. It's going to backfire. They are going to have everyone pissed off at them. They will eventually regret it.

it's about time other people stopped taking crap from these religous nuts. if they want to do harm to somebody, they better be prepared to have harm done to them. what religion that deals out death and cruelty should anybody have respect for. oouuhh, step lightly, don't offend them, they might get mad, and if they get mad, they will kill you, what an absurd and barbaric belief.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

If Jesus appeared in the flesh - - I would certainly sit down and have a convo with him - - to see what he's all about.

Would I worship him? NO. Not unless he gave me and proved to me a very good reason that I needed to.

Ha ha ha... I said almost the same thing when someone asked me what I would do if the devil popped up. I mean if something just pops up out of nowhere in front of you then why run? It wouldn't exactly do much good would it?
I would ask how he did it and if he could teach me
Even if he said his name was Lucifer I still wouldn't think much of it.

I tend agree with you about where we are from. The stories are just their (ancestors) way of conveying what they experienced. The whole book seems more like a revelation of close encounters than a guide on how to control the world. IMO there is no good, no bad. Just free will and opinions on how it's used...

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

yes you heard me right- since it is scientifically impossible to prove the existence or absence of a creator,ATHEISM is a "BELIEVE" in the ABSENCE of GOD and requires just as much or even more FAITH than to believe in a creator.

i dont relly think you understand what im saying read it carefully. - since it is scientifically impossible to prove the existence or absence of a creator,ATHEISM is a "BELIEVE" in the ABSENCE of GOD and requires just as much or even more FAITH than to believe in a creator.

No it does not.

So it requires FAITH to believe that Santa Clause or Unicorns or Dragons or Vampires to not exist?

If that is true then that is a glaring double standard, to say that a lack of belief in the existence of God requires FAITH but these things do not.

But then again, most Christians are all about double standards, especially when it comes to atheists.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

There is no faith involved in lack of belief in a god/deity.

Why do Believers keep insisting on this ridiculousness?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmArTbEaTz
Ha ha ha... I said almost the same thing when someone asked me what I would do if the devil popped up. I mean if something just pops up out of nowhere in front of you then why run? It wouldn't exactly do much good would it?

Seriously!

More like: "Yo dude - - nice trick - - now what do you want?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

I found this and had to post it...

When religious theists are informed that atheism is not "belief that God does not exist," as they previously assumed, but rather that atheism is really defined as the "lack of belief in the existence of any gods" or simply "disbelief in gods," many get defensive. Perhaps they cannot accept being mistaken about something, or perhaps they realize how many of their assumptions and arguments about atheism and atheists fall apart in light of the real definition. Either way, be prepared for a fight.

What's especially disconcerting about the above myth, commonly offered in response to being told that atheism is just a lack of belief in gods, is how insanely incoherent it is. If I told someone that lacking hair is still having hair, or lacking a hobby is itself a hobby, they'd probably ask whether I've been feeling OK and might even suggest counseling.

They would surely doubt my ability to think and reason coherently. Such claims represent a complete separation from both reality and the most basic rules of logic: if something is absent, then it cannot also be present at the same time. By definition, something absent is not present — and that counts as much for beliefs as it does for hair and hobbies.

If you take the time to stretch out the conversation a little, you'll find that the religious theists who make the above claim never apply the same principle of "reasoning" to any other situation. They won't agree, for example, that a lack of substance is the same as having substance or that a lack of value is the same as having value. They won't even agree to apply this narrowly to just the concept of belief.

A lack of belief is still a belief, so atheism is a belief and atheists by definition believe that God does not exist.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

. - since it is scientifically impossible to prove the existence or absence of a creator,

Wrong.

Any 2nd grader can prove Creator theory wrong, they are taught Dinosaurs roamed 65 million years ago.

Bible thumpers believe the Earth is 6000 years old.

Your proved wrong.

let me tell you guys something, as i read the scriptures and compare history, theology and some aspects of science and quantum mechanics,the fossils,different ancient sources for a world wide flood, egyptian writings(many,many more) ext.ext.- i compare and make my own theory of when the earth was created, who in the hell ever said the earth was 6000 years old-it sure dint come out my mouth, just because one christian has sayd it in the past does not speak for me, dinosaurs and other strange creatures are spoken of in Isaiah and job-dinosaurs walked in the time of Adam hand to hand with man. funny how evolution teaches we "evolved" after the dinosaurs were extinct yet we have ancient foot prints that prove otherwise. you'd be surprised how much you can learn from a second grader-no pun intended

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

carm.org...

-"There is no God."-

This is not a logical position to hold, since to know there is no God means the person would have to know all things to know there is no God. Since he cannot know all things (if he did he would be God), then he cannot logically say there is no God.

-"I believe there is no God."-

To say "I believe there is no God" is a conscious choice. Then, on what do you base your choice: evidence, logic, faith, or a combination of the three?
If evidence, then what positive evidence is there that disproves God's existence?
There can be no such evidence, since evidence is physical in nature (evidence is an effect and/or result of something in reality). How could evidence disprove the existence of God who is, by definition, the creator of reality and separate from it?
(I am defending the Christian God as revealed in the Bible).
Testimony is admissible in court as evidence, but no one can rightly testify that God does not exist.
If logic, then what logical proof do you have that negates God's existence?
At best, logic can only disprove theistic proofs. Disproving theistic proofs does not mean there is no God. It only means that the proofs presented thus far are insufficient.
Logic can be used to disprove theistic evidences that are presented. Negating such proofs is not a refutation of all possible proofs, since no one can know or present all possible proofs of God's existence. Therefore, negation of proofs does not disprove God's existence.
If there were a logical argument that proved God did not exist, it has not yet been made known. If it were known then it would be in use by atheists. But since no proof of God's non-existence has been successfully defended by atheists, we can conclude that thus far there are no logical proofs for God's non-existence.
If faith alone, then the position is not held by logic or evidence and is an arbitrary position.
If by a combination of evidence, logic, and/or faith, then according to the above analysis, neither is sufficient to validate atheism. A combination of insufficient means does not validate atheism.
For someone to believe there is no God is to hold that belief by faith, since there is no evidence that positively supports atheism and there are no logical proofs that God does not exist. It is, after all, virtually impossible to prove a negative.

edit on 5-3-2012 by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Plus, Hes is not a myth - He is a Legend ;0)

2nd...

Originally posted by el1jah
whats with atheists acting so religious these days?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

So, are you saying it's okay to put up "Atheist" billboards, but not put up "Christian" billboards? What about Islamic billboards, or Hindu, or Buddhist?
Nope. Not at all. It's freedom of speech. The only reason that I have mentioned that the religious signs are everywhere, is because so many people are acting as if atheists have crossed the line (taken it a step too far).

Are the "You're an idiot for believing in a creator" billboards the only ones acceptable in your eyes?
lmao... I guess not, because I don't think that I have ever seen an atheist billboard. I'm a small town hick. When you live somewhere with less than 1000 people, you don't really see an abundance of billboards. This is the type of place where you may see a couple billboards that have lost about 50% of the paint. Then a year later, they have lost about 75% of the paint, but they're still there lol.

And, do you run around the shopping centers and malls around Christmas telling kids that Santa Claus is a lie and they are stupid for believing it? How about the Easter Bunny? Do you go to community Easter egg hunts and yell at the kids? Where do you draw the line?
I can't see the line, because it has 'Freedom of Speech' written on top of it.

By the way, the adult video photo was awesome!
I'm going to email that one around to everyone I know.
I hope you haven't done that yet.

Here is an alternate version of that sign: spaninquis.wordpress.com...

There's a few religious billboards on that page. They're all photoshopped, so I didn't want to post any of them here. For that particular billboard...... well, just click it, I guarantee you will find it amusing.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST

You can same the same for him existing... that's a round about argument...

No proof that does or doesn't exist.

Even if he arrived on a golden chariot in the sky I would still not think it is God. Like Anne said, it's just another visitor stopping by to see if we are still dumb...

If you were walking around in tethered clothing and saw something come out of the sky back in... say 10, 000 yrs ago... even though according to time we used the death as a date... more brainwashing tech... you would think what you saw was Superior to you so therefore you would call it "God".

Take Penn and Teller or Chris Angel back in a time machine and let them do some tricks and you may be worshiping them when you come back...

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

I am truly awestruck, by your ignorance.

The question was if you actually received the evidence you demand, and you aren't going to believe or convert anyway, then what's the point of demanding that we justify our beliefs to you?
I have already told you this, a few times now:
[color=9BE8E8]I am not demanding anything. I am not searching for your god.

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

You haven't given any answers, instead, insulted me and berated me by calling me delusional. It is you who are avoiding the question, and all you're really trying to do is use dirty tricks to turn the questions back on to me. This makes you no different than any other Christians who do the same thing to non believers.
You whine too much.

And [color=9BE8E8]you guys do demand it all the time. you always ask that we justify our beliefs to you. Your very post is a demand, if you aren't outright stating it. Asking these question is a demand that we justify ourselves to you. And of course, the demand that always follows is that if we can't justify our beliefs to you then we must change our beliefs to suit yours. You can make all the stupid semantic bull# claims that you are not, but that is what you really are doing.
[color=9BE8E8]There is no 'YOU GUYS'. I am only one person.

And that makes you a pos.

Stop harassing me and stop attacking me.

There are rules in this forum against that sort of thing.

Fark you.
[color=FF7AF2]Your ignorance is not only amusing, but it is also adorable.

I think that you are the one whom needs to read the T&C's. You are the one breaking the rules. Don't you worry though, because I'm not going to snitch you out. I would prefer that your ignorance stays on display.

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

That's the sad state of America today. no matter what you believe, someone who believes something different will always attack and harass you until you change yours to suit theirs.

Fark you.

edit on 3/5/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

Originally posted by spav5

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by spav5

I guess even if a person was stupid enough to believe that atheism is a religion......

The atheists still have yet to burn witches, lynch african americans, or drag homosexuals behind vehicles.

Name calling makes you sound smart. I see you have no idea what you are talking about either.

Peace

Nope not name calling... these are facts, Religious people have been responsible for most atrocities in history, all done in the name of their god... Atheists are only guilty of being irritating wanna-be know-it-all's

Religious = borderline retarded
Atheist = Smart ass

None of us knows for certain if there is or isn't so maybe everyone should stop being so gung-ho about it and accept that you DO NOT KNOW

You can't do anything about it... accept it.
You won't find out until you die.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Raivan31 because: typos

Put your thoughts together before you start typing..only response I can give to this.

Peace

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmArTbEaTz
reply to post by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST

You can same the same for him existing... that's a round about argument...

No proof that does or doesn't exist.

Even if he arrived on a golden chariot in the sky I would still not think it is God. Like Anne said, it's just another visitor stopping by to see if we are still dumb...

If you were walking around in tethered clothing and saw something come out of the sky back in... say 10, 000 yrs ago... even though according to time we used the death as a date... more brainwashing tech... you would think what you saw was Superior to you so therefore you would call it "God".

Take Penn and Teller or Chris Angel back in a time machine and let them do some tricks and you may be worshiping them when you come back...

exactly my point it takes FAITH to be an ATHEIST.
i am quite aware that i walk in faith, Jesus once said that even those who have seen him and his miricles have not believed in him. but he said "blessed are those who did not see me but yet believed"

the problem is not a lack of evidence, its in your heart to deny his existence,which is fine nobody is trying to convert you or impose my religion on you i did however make my point that it takes faith to be atheist.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Absence of Faith does not equal Faith.

No matter how you try to twist it.

Absence is Absence.

Moving on.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Lack of belief may require logic, reasoning and intelligence, but certainly not "Faith".

PS - I had a girlfriend named Faith once. She cheated on me......with a girl named Chastity.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by xuenchen

The reason they are able to do this is because groups like the Westboro Baptist Church recently won rights to free speech even though it is hate speech.

Freedom of speech is part of the constitution.

Westboro church didn't win anything. They were always within their rights - - no matter how insulting and annoying they are.

American Atheists formed in 1963: Since 1963, American Atheists has been the premier organization laboring for the civil liberties of atheists and the total, absolute separation of government and religion. It was born out of a court case begun in 1959 by the Murray family which challenged prayer recitation in the public schools

One has nothing to do with the other.

Actually they do. The billboards are another example of free speech in action. So what's with the billboards anyway. I think all of them should be banned...billboards. Junk on the side of the road pushing crap if you ask me. It is all pollution. Visual in my ears..etc...don't people have a right to drive un-accosted? Don't look at them???!!! lol That's a laugh. Why can't people keep their personal views to themselves or write a book? I mean seriously....Who cares?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1
reply to post by jiggerj

Atheists and religious people are not all that different. Those that can see beyond labels should notice that.

Atheists want religion out of public life, yet they have no problem "preaching" atheism in the open.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

Very good point Turq

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
Actually they do. The billboards are another example of free speech in action.

That is not what your original point was about.

So what's with the billboards anyway.

(banning all billboards is a different discussion)

I've already answered this. It is about support. Just like gays "trapped" in a fundamental religious environment - - - - any (especially young) person who does not believe in god - - and finds themself "trapped" in a fundamental religious environment - - - - needs to know there are others and support from the outside. It gives them hope and perseverance to stay strong until they can be independent of their environment.

Who cares?

Maybe those who feel trapped and are contemplating suicide.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join