It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group posts billboards in religious neighborhoods saying God is ‘a myth’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
American Atheists want their message to be clear ... crystal clear.

And they are going after the Big3 with signs in English, Arabic, and Hebrew.

Saturday, March 3, 2012 21:52 EST

The group American Atheists has begun a new campaign posting billboards in Hebrew and Arabic that say, “God is a myth…and you have a choice.” The New York Daily News reports that according to their website, the group says the billboards aren’t meant to offend, but rather as outreach to atheists who may “feel particularly alone.”

The Hebrew language sign will be erected in Brooklyn, New York, close to the Williamsburg Bridge. The location was chosen because of the large orthodox Jewish community in the area. The Arabic language sign will be in Paterson, New Jersey, a site chosen for its proximity to the Islamic Center of Passaic County.

CNN spoke to Mohammed Elfilali, director of the Islamic Center, who seemed nonplussed by the billboards’ message. “It is not the first and won’t be the last time people have said things about God or religion. I respect people’s opinion about God; obviously they are entitled to it. I don’t think God is a myth, but that doesn’t exclude people to have a different opinion.”

Rabbi Kenneth Brander, dean of Yeshiva University’s Center for the Jewish Future, was not so sanguine, particularly with regards to the fact that the billboards spell out the name of God, a practice eschewed by Orthodox Jews. “It is an emotional word,” he said, “There will be an emotional response.”

American Atheists intends to expand the campaign to locations on California and is hosting a “Rally for Reason” on the National Mall in Washington, DC on March 24.

The Raw Story

NY Daily News Story

+47 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
whats with atheists acting so religious these days?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Prove them wrong.

Most Billboards are filled with lies, so even if this wasn't true, there still shouldn't be an issue here.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Riiiiiiiight its not intended to be offensive you just come out calling someones belief system a myth.

Why not just say you have a choice ?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Opinions are like assholes everybody has one and it usually stinks.

+21 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Hell, I'm an atheist and I don't see what billboards are going to do. There will always be those that believe in fairies, demons, and a grand wizard with a magic wand. Any attempt at UNbrainwashing them is futile.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

myth   [mith] Show IPA
noun
a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
stories or matter of this kind: realm of myth.
any invented story, idea, or concept: His account of the event is pure myth.
an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

Everything seems to be in order here.

'God' is such an unbelievably overused term that it has lost all meaning it once had.

As a society we are in no position whatsoever to even begin explaining the idea of 'god'.

I'm not religious and i don't believe in 'god', but i believe in a higher governing power of inexpressible, colossal magnitude but is still a myth until myself, or anyone else can prove otherwise, not to mention how personal 'god' is to each person.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

What are they selling, and how much money did they make?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Hell, I'm an atheist and I don't see what billboards are going to do. There will always be those that believe in fairies, demons, and a grand wizard with a magic wand. Any attempt at UNbrainwashing them is futile.

You need to get them while they're young or it will be too late...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

The billboards are directed at you. It's marketing. The target audience is the atheists who find it funny and search for more information.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by el1jah
whats with atheists acting so religious these days?

I agree...anti-God is not atheism. Not against them putting up a billboard ...it is their right. But an anti-God religion helps nothing.

Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Atheists has begun a new campaign posting billboards in Hebrew and Arabic that say, “God is a myth

Good, the religious have been dominating the world for centuries, and largely by "controlling the narrative" as the saying goes, making people believe that everyone is religious, and your only choice is which religion to pledge yourself too.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I not sure they thought this idea through. Take one look at what radicals do when someone make fun of their religion. I am thinking they may have to be looking over their shoulder. And I am thinking more of the Islamic Radicals here. Just ask the Dutch cartoonist that drew an effige of their prophet.

To put those billboards in their community in their language is just asking to stir up trouble. Of course, they will probably be painted over the first night they are up.

edit on 4/3/12 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

This is stupid and dangerous. It's going to backfire. They are going to have everyone pissed off at them. They will eventually regret it.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

Atheists has begun a new campaign posting billboards in Hebrew and Arabic that say, “God is a myth

Good, the religious have been dominating the world for centuries, and largely by "controlling the narrative" as the saying goes, making people believe that everyone is religious, and your only choice is which religion to pledge yourself too.

And here is a new religion calling themselves atheists staking their claim.

peace

+22 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by spav5

I guess even if a person was stupid enough to believe that atheism is a religion......

The atheists still have yet to burn witches, lynch african americans, or drag homosexuals behind vehicles.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by spav5

I guess even if a person was stupid enough to believe that atheism is a religion......

The atheists still have yet to burn witches, lynch african americans, or drag homosexuals behind vehicles.

Name calling makes you sound smart. I see you have no idea what you are talking about either.

Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I Wish they would put one of those billboards up near me, I need something to paint on

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

And that's just it. No one should attempt to guide anyone's beliefs and just mind their own damn business. There is plenty of easily accessible material for people to find regarding religion and atheism therefore the individual should be left to look for answers on their own.

The atheist trying to get people on their side is just as much of a pest as the Jehovah's witness banging on peoples doors.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by spav5

By the bibles standard... or yours?

Because we all know that hearing voices and attempting to murder your children for god is a "smart" thing to do... you know.. the kind of "smart" idiots are used to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join