It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the sense of humor on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I have seen people make humorous threads on ATS and people end up taking them serious. The thread “If you want free birth control, I want free beer”, comes to mind. There are some that do get it however.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Seriously? I mean did you take this thread seriously? Really!? If so, all I have to say is, Wow!

The OP did have a point however and that is the key to comedy. To paraphrase George Carlin, “I am a professional comedian, unlike the @$$holes you work with daily, I’m here to remind you to laugh about something that you didn’t laugh at before.”

Ok, I get it. The world and life is a serious business, but I think you do have to chuckle from time to time, hopefully on a daily basis.

When you see a thread that is obviously looking for laughs, respond in kind.

It would do us all good.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

its hard to tell the difference between trolls and jokers through text...

a simple post in the joke section would help

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

True, but maybe reading a post twice prior to posting would help as well. It seems many are to quick to pull the trigger at first glance.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
It's hard to find the fun in situations which affect your life or relate to questions which have such a fundemental affect your outlook.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
It is a wonder how people got along in life before they knew they could get it free! Too funny.

What isn't is how no one realizes the plan was to get us all divided to start with and it is working well I see...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Can't tell if you're joking or not Dawg, so I'll give you a S&F.

But I totally agree with you that people do tend to take what are obviously meant as humerus threads too seriously.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
If ATS had wanted you to have a sense of humor they would have issued one to you when you signed up. Discussing Conspiracies, UFOs, HAARP, Secret Societies, the NWO, and the Antichrist is serious bizniss. In the future please check any jokes, puns, witty catharses, and humorous anecdotes at the door before proceeding.

edit on 3/4/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by drgood
It's hard to find the fun in situations which affect your life or relate to questions which have such a fundemental affect your outlook.

Humor doesn't always equal fun. Sometime times it is a way of dealing with a stressful situation. One which you can laugh about later.

For example: At the time, I was a Reservist and during a firefight south of Balad Ruz I was hunkered down behind the engine block of a HUMMV, next to me was a Tennessee National Guardsman (a private, BTW) who was scared spitless.

“They’re firing at us Sergeant!”

“No [Snip]” I thought.

He looked at me with wide eyes and asked what he should do.

I pointed him to a doorway in a nearby house that had already been occupied and told him I would provide cover fire, but expected the same in return when it came my turn to run for it.

Right before he took off, I clapped him on the shoulder and winked at him and said, “Hell of a part time job, ain’t it?”

We both survived and stay in touch and everytime we laugh about the absurdity of that day.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Where is the sense of humor on ATS?

'Jokes, Puns, & Pranks' Forum

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
If ATS had wanted you to have a sense of humor they would have issued one to you when you signed up. Discussing Conspiracies, UFOs, HAARP, Secret Societies, the NWO, and the Antichrist is serious bizniss. In the future please check any jokes, puns, witty catharses, and humorous anecdotes at the door before proceeding.

edit on 3/4/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

Gunny, when I retired, I made it my mission to go to the CONEX and retrieve my sense of humor...Higher be damned.

Actually, I retained it throughout my career, much to the dismay of many of my leaders.

Screw you Marine...and I say that with all due respect.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Well first off I have discovered that some people simply do not have the emotional capacity to handle life's stressors with humor. There was a recent thread on ATS about a research paper done in 1999/2000 about incompetent people being too incompetent to realize their incompetence, and lack of humor went right along with it. people without a sense of humor do not realise they do not have one. It is akin to trying to describe the colors of an exotic flower to a blind person, they have no frame of referrence.

As for it being hard to laugh at things that are serious, and have a profound effect on life: I haven't a clue of that which you speak. Those are the things I laugh at most, and hardest. Being in the medical profession I admittedly have a very macabre sense of humor. If it isn't going to kill you in the next 6 months it's fair game to joke about... Ok, I joke about stuff that'll kill you too

Seriously birth is a terminal condition. You aren't getting out alive. Chill out, and find the humor in it. If you can't I really feel badly for you. You're missing out on life's best coping mechanism, and stress reducer. If you can't laugh at it, screw it, kill it, or eat it, it serves no biological function. If you can''t find the humor in that you're one of those that lack the sense, and probably don't realize it. Just trust me that was funny.

edit on 4-3-2012 by Binder because: bourbon

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by nolabel

Can't tell if you're joking or not Dawg, so I'll give you a S&F.

But I totally agree with you that people do tend to take what are obviously meant as humerus threads too seriously.

In this case, I'm serious...as odd as that sounds.

I do take having a good time in life as a serious matter and the more laughter filled it is, the better.

I had one Soldier say I was Bi-Polar. I agreed.

If I'm not happy, I'm pissed off. 'Nuff said.

After three decades in the service, I like to say..."Don't hurt my feeling, it's the only one I have left."

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Kinda whirly about way of saying things. There may be many that don't understand.

But I hear you. My Mom was a RN and volunteer EMT. And I was a Military brat so I was raised around a dark sense of humor. Currently have many friends who are Firefighters, Cops, Soldiers and Nurses, They get it.

No one gets out of this life alive.

Well said.
edit on 4-3-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

If they don't understand, I'm not going to explain. I stopped fighting darwinism a long time ago. If you are too dumb to survive...well...don't.

BTW, I work for the VA, and sincerely THANK YOU for your service(no jokes).

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Screw you Marine...and I say that with all due respect.

Bite me Dogface.

Brother, thank you for the laugh. And thank you for your service. Hooah.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Funny? How am I funny?

Am I here to amuse you? What? Am I a freakin' joker now.. here to make you laugh?

Funny... you said it wiseguy. How am I funny?

No...you said it. You're a big boy... you know what you meant.

How am I funny? How the freak am I funny?

Maybe I'm a little messed up here. Mabe i don't get it...How am I funny?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
anything is fair game to be made light of ..
only way to stay sane in this world is to realise its all part of a cosmic joke..

have learned to watch my humour though as it does get quite macabre and has got me banned from a couple forums...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Get the # out of here, Tommy!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

When I encounter people like that I write them off as those looking to be offended. It's almost like their lives are so miserable they are looking for something (anything) to rage about. And the internet makes it very easy for them. Of course some people just have hot buttons they can't walk away from, especially when politics are involved. I hate politics, makes people grumpy.

OiO

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

I totally agree. I have noticed something else. This is completely anecdotal, but it seems incompetence, lack of humor, and lack of empathy go hand in hand. I make fun of a hard situation because usually I have been there I KNOW how bad it sucks, and I know a moment of lightness about it kinda gives that glimmer of "It'll be OK." or maybe it won't, but there isn't a damned thing you can do about it except make a joke. I tend to see macabre as simply realistic. I am not a depressed person however. I love life, and try to live it to the fullest every single day because tomorow is by no means guaranteed. All you have is RIGHT NOW, enjoy it. The most depressed people I know try to hedge all their bets in life, and accumulate no risk. Life isn't fun until there is a chance of punching out early.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join