It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Firefox Collusion... ATS and 3rd party Cookies

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OneNationUnder

Thanks I went and got that Ad On.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
"Cookies" have been an integral part of web technology since Netscape 0.9b... which still had the Mosaic logo in the upper-left corner.

Not until recently were anti-badware companies (virus scanners) calling them "tracking cookies" in an effort to sow FUD in the mind of the average confused online user, in an effort to get more people to use the software.

I know people are concerned, as this thread indicates, but the reality is not so scary, seriously.

The use of cookies to know non-personal information about limited silos of your recent browsing history is important for just about every small independent website trying to survive... it's how the ads work, it's how they get paid.

It's amazing to me that people are "up in arms" over non-personal limited time-frame walled-off silo browsing history awareness -- yet not "up in arms" (at least apparently not as much) over the very-personal information a site like Facebook is explicitly sharing with others.

Listen to the Lord..............Nothing to see here move along.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Thanks to to the OP for that add on.

Apart from whitelisted sites I don't allow google etc to set the cookies mentioned here and that add on is at least confirmation that all my measures are working.
Also I have taken to using 'starting page' for searches instead of google. Plus when sites come up in a search, there is an opportunity to click on them via a proxy. No good if you want to sign in anywhere but good for browsing.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
IF you don't like sites like Google Analytics tracking you, there are plenty of free firefox addons to put an end to such things.

I like blocksite :

addons.mozilla.org...

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by qvision
IF you don't like sites like Google Analytics tracking you

Google Analytics doesn't track YOU. It tracks computers that websites to report aggregate data, not personal data.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
holy huge mess of trackers batman!!

Only a small percentage of all cookies actually are used for purposes that could be called "tracking" in any fashion.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This is NUTS...
Just because I feel I have nothing to hide, I am suppose to let you look in my windows, listen in on my calls and read my mail? That is BS.

If you do not care about these things that you learn about here on ATS and elsewhere then you deserve what ever comes down on your heads.

Drawn a line in the sand people. If you do not stand for something Then you have NO rights.

Unbelievable...

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Does it even matter?
The US government has already said that they monitor
all online activity and Internet Providers are to keep a record
of all User activity for 2 years. so even using a Proxy will
be monitored and recorded.

I am as paranoid as they come but ATS has my full support
in sharing my usage with others. They need to make a dime
somehow.

The only way to stay off the Radar is to not use the Internet at all!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I have been off and on the radar at varying degrees since
I was 15yrs old. (48) My last name was watched beyond belief
because of a few that came before me. After the 4 or 5 years
of being harassed during the Bush era, I got extremely angry.

I will not change who I am or what I stand for no matter what
boogie man may lurk about, Period.

My God given rights will not be taken from me!

I have made my 20 +1 posts. I will now go back into the shadows.

p.s if it was not for the life I have now I would not know that this world is a very beautiful place, Love and Joy abound. My heaven on earth.
edit on 5-3-2012 by amethystmoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by amethystmoon
I am suppose to let you look in my windows,

How does this issue compare to "looking in your windows?"

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Is a webcam not a window into your home? Yup taped till I can get it
removed because of specific websites snapping pics. There is no
reason for the little indicator light to be coming on..
Where do you drawn the line?

I'm logging back out now....

Thank you ATS for teaching me so much about people.
edit on 5-3-2012 by amethystmoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PrecogPsychicSensitive
Cool,tell us about the MIB did he move oddly?Could you see his eyes?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

specific websites snapping pics

If you're computer's "webcam active" light is going on, then you have some malware or other software running on your computer that's causing it. Websites generally cannot access the webcam unless you're using a specific app such as a Flash or Java app -AND- you've specifically allowed Flash or Java access to your webcam.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
No-one with even one iota of technical knowledge, using a Windows based operating system of any kind, should be complaining about websites exploiting their privacy. If you are *that* concerned about cookies and scripts and what have you not, how about only using the internet with a Linux Live CD of your favourite flavour, and there you go.

And for the rest, the whole discussion reminds me of this, especially the person who tapes off his or her webcam so "websites don't take snapshots of me". Hillarious

Two worlds

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Well, not all of us are computer nerds that can run linux ya know! Yeah I tried it before, I could not for the life of me get linux to recognize my wireless modem

If I could at least connect to the net, I could look stuff up when I run into problems, but I can't even get it to do that.

There is plenty you CAN do to make you safer and more secure, but no one on windows can be totally safe, you have that much right.

I am super paranoid myself, and everything is encrypted on my computer with 25+ character passwords, all are different. If anyone stole my computer, my stuff would be safe at least, right down to my OS. They would have to get their own damn OS

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
come on fellas why the tinfoil hat for ats?

Its got two ads on a page not big not annoying (usually) but they dont track your input, just where you came from and where you are going - knowing that they can chase you with ads. Not the same as FB tracking the same thing and then selling your personnel info with the tracking info.

Ive been on collusion for good number of days now and ats is definitly one of the THE BIGGEST sites traffic wise etc and yet has the LEAST number of tracking - the only one in fact being the only ad people, that just about everyone ive noticed uses for basic adverts.

Go to a site like fox news or yahoo you will see laods!

and dont forget, when you load a page with a linked pic thats shown it shows as a tracker rather than just a site you vistited (even tho its embedded)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Well, not all of us are computer nerds that can run linux ya know! Yeah I tried it before, I could not for the life of me get linux to recognize my wireless modem

If I could at least connect to the net, I could look stuff up when I run into problems, but I can't even get it to do that.

There is plenty you CAN do to make you safer and more secure, but no one on windows can be totally safe, you have that much right.

I am super paranoid myself, and everything is encrypted on my computer with 25+ character passwords, all are different. If anyone stole my computer, my stuff would be safe at least, right down to my OS. They would have to get their own damn OS

Download Ubuntu 11.10, any problems u2u me.
It's easy and millions of help available.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

specific websites snapping pics

If you're computer's "webcam active" light is going on, then you have some malware or other software running on your computer that's causing it. Websites generally cannot access the webcam unless you're using a specific app such as a Flash or Java app -AND- you've specifically allowed Flash or Java access to your webcam.

I love that the site owner of a conspiracy site is on here telling everyone that there's no conspiracy!!

As the advert goes - "priceless"

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Well how do you think the owners run this site?

On private funds? Do you have to pay a membership fee? No - then put up with a few trackers and ads.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
I love that the site owner of a conspiracy site is on here telling everyone that there's no conspiracy!!

Not everything is a "conspiracy," in fact, most things are not.

Well... maybe not in this case though.

But the "conspiracy" lies in many other directions, and is a tangled web.

Major Media Websites Want Draconian "Anti-Tracking" Laws
This is largely because, as large entities with their own advertising systems and sales forces for their websites, they are exempt. From each proposed legislation on the matter. Their cookies, for their advertising, would be considered first and second party cookies. The laws will severely limit ad revenue for sites like ATS, removing independent voices from the web by starving them of cash.

Major Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware Companies Want To Fool You
Your FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) on the matter of cookies has literally been created by and fueled by these companies and their army of paid bloggers. Up until recently, many were calling any cookie "malicious" regardless of the source, and spreading misinformation about the function of browser cookies.

Politicians Focus On Artificial "Hot Button" Items Rather Than Important Issues
There has been no documented case of where a "tacking cookie" has caused anyone financial harm, or a privacy invasion that has resulted in harm of any type. This remains true even though those with an agenda are desperately trying to find such a case. So it's an artificial danger, hyped by those with an agenda, and latched onto Politicians rather than focusing on much more important issues.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join