It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Moment.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

Carpe Diem = Epic Dream

So, what you're trying to say is that the Romans were fooling with us fools of the future by creating the term Carpe Diem so they could laugh at us from the past because we try to use that term to define our present in relation to our future, but in reality it's just a joke?

That's just great.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot

Carpe Diem = Epic Dream

So, what you're trying to say is that the Romans were fooling with us fools of the future by creating the term Carpe Diem so they could laugh at us from the past because we try to use that term to define our present in relation to our future, but in reality it's just a joke?

That's just great.

Look at it more like a scripting joke, sew it goes back in time before the Romans ever stepped foot into the script.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Yes, I do agree.

Scriptwriter must have been hard up for entertainment when writing this script.

Scriptwriter is not so good of a stand-up comedian, I dare say.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
A year ago I was living in my car and didn't know what tommorrow would bring and I was running away at the time and felt safer in my car. Anyway, I was on the Barrier Highway in a rest area toward Broken Hill (the area is very dry and there is no water) I only had a little water left and no money. I had bugga all petrol too so had to stop.

And it was then I experience 'a moment'... I was spending time thinking about my options as the sun was setting and whilst my thoughts were busy, I just looked at the sun set and then I noticed all the wild flowers and it took my breath away. It was picture perfect and yet I was in turmoil.

Weird how that changed my state of mind. All of my worries/thoughts went away whilst I observed and felt this wild beauty.

I had to stay there for two days until welfare payment went into my bank... I drove to the service station in the middle of nowhere and I was sad to leave.
I had run of water and it was cloudy and I prayed and asked for a bucket of water. It rained and I got my bucket of water.

that is a moment.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

If you believe the past exists and the future exists then you will never be free. You believe the past effects the future and believing this will make it true. It is only you that takes the past into the future because you are the one carrying it.
Do you want your past to color your future? If you look to your past, you recreate it in the future, it is a trap. Or do you want a clean, bright, fresh and new life?
Thinking is always from the past, it is old. Be of no mind and life will reveal itself.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by ottobot

If you believe the past exists and the future exists then you will never be free. You believe the past effects the future and believing this will make it true. It is only you that takes the past into the future because you are the one carrying it.

Past: I decided to birth my children.
Present: I am responsible for my children.
Future: I wish my children to live.

I surmise that you are speaking of the metaphorical "past" and "future".

I am speaking of the lives of my children. They travel with me through each moment. They are my past, present, and future.

Do you want your past to color your future? If you look to your past, you recreate it in the future, it is a trap. Or do you want a clean, bright, fresh and new life?

My past does color my future, in the immediate time frame.

Not because I want it to, but because I was broken before I ever formed.

The space between [this second] and [this second] makes no difference. My past goes with me to the future because I would not be present in this turmoil if I had not existed in that broken state for so long.

You must understand: I am forming for the first time.

Thinking is always from the past, it is old.

I disagree. Thinking is of the present. Submersion is from the past. Daydreaming is from the future.

Be of no mind and life will reveal itself.

Yes, this is the state of being which I am working toward.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot

Yes, I do agree.

Scriptwriter must have been hard up for entertainment when writing this script.

Scriptwriter is not so good of a stand-up comedian, I dare say.

You say that as 7 billion blank stares look upon what you said and then you say WE don't have a sense of humor?

You ain't put it in full perspective yet.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

I disagree. Thinking is of the present. Submersion is from the past. Daydreaming is from the future.

Thinking can never be present, see this! This is a very big part of finding peace. All of our conflict and misery stems from the idea that somehow the past and future are more real then the present moment. This is the matrix!

You cannot think about something unless it is a memory, unless you have experienced it already. You can mix experiences together and seemingly come up with 'new' ideas, but they are all rooted in past experiences, in your memory. Daydreaming is of the past too, it is merely the past being modified and projected to the concept of a 'future'.

Only the present exists and it cannot be thought about. Once thought of "this is the present moment" arises, you are in the past. All knowledge and imagination is of the past. "Nothing is new under the sun" except for that which cannot be spoken of.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy

Thinking can never be present, see this! This is a very big part of finding peace. All of our conflict and misery stems from the idea that somehow the past and future are more real then the present moment. This is the matrix!

You are talking about thoughts. I am talking about thinking. I think endlessly, in each present moment. However, becoming lost in thought makes me lose the present.

You cannot think about something unless it is a memory, unless you have experienced it already. You can mix experiences together and seemingly come up with 'new' ideas, but they are all rooted in past experiences, in your memory. Daydreaming is of the past too, it is merely the past being modified and projected to the concept of a 'future'.

There are different types of thought.

I can think, "It is time to eat." Not because I was hungry, but because I am hungry when I have not yet eaten. Yes, I understand that I need to eat due to past experience that says when my stomach growls I need to eat... But I can think that I need to eat Now when I have not actually eaten Now.

We would not be able to have this ongoing conversation if neither of us were thinking. We have to be thinking to respond and write pertinent responses to one another. We have to be thinking to have an opinion. We have to be thinking to disagree.

So, thinking is not useless. But, unbridled thought can be detrimental.

I cannot think about something you have not said, but I can presently think of what you said in the past while considering my situation as well as planning my future response.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

reply to post by ottobot

Thinking can never be present, see this!

To think is to have thunk, because when you think of anything, that thought is now in the past, thus, since Time has to elapse for anything to happen, when you think, you can only realize it when that thought is now in the past. Actions then manifest themselves in the present from past actions, which includes thought.

Sew it can be said that the Present is for understanding the past and to rationalize the future.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

Thinking and thought are the same thing sir/miss, lets not lose our sensibility to semantics. And I never said thinking is useless, this is not the point anyways. We are trying to examine whether or not thought can ever truly be in the present moment.

Is time involved in thinking? Is there an interval of time, however short it may be, between the observation of a tree and the thought, "this tree is green"? Are we not bringing the raw experience of the tree into our brain and then cross processing it with other associated experiences (knowledge) that are stored in the brain? If so, then in this interval of time the present moment is lost, our awareness is scanning the brain for images, words, concepts... all of the things the brain has accumulated in the past, just to think the thought, "this tree is green".

The confusion may lie in the fact that this processing happens extremely fast and so it goes unnoticed, but when the mind is in a state of deep meditation the clarity of our awareness is raised tremendously and these things become more obvious. Regardless, I think you have the correct starting point and I do not want to confuse or challenge you any more. Stay as close to the present moment as possible, this is good for now.

Peace friend.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

reply to post by ottobot

Thinking and thought are the same thing sir/miss,

No they are kNot!

Thinking occurs in the now and Thought is the END result of Thinking, which means Thought can only exist in the past, whereas Thinking can only happen Now.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

reply to post by ottobot

No they are kNot!

Thinking occurs in the now and Thought is the END result of Thinking, which means Thought can only exist in the past, whereas Thinking can only happen Now.

Ribbit

And please be kind enough to explain how thinking can happen now. It might be good to also define what you mean by "thinking". My definition is a process/chain of thoughts.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

reply to post by ottobot

No they are kNot!

Ribbit

And please be kind enough to explain how thinking can happen now. It might be good to also define what you mean by "thinking". My definition is a process/chain of thoughts.

Look at the math of what you said:

Thinking "is a process/chain of thoughts."

If you have 3 OF 4 apples, what is MEANT by OF?

OF = Past

You ONCE had 4 apples but NOW you only have 3 apples, sew 3 of 4 apples means sumone's eating apple.

Sew thinking is OF thought.

Thinking = Now
Thought = When
Consciousness = Then (where all of this comes from)

Consciousness > Think > Thought

Future > Present > Past

We both know We dew think thought, but that's because the thought came from thinking, and you can even think think and thought thought, but can you thought think?

Ribbit

edit on 5-3-2012 by ButtUglyToad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Wow, I'm completely lost with what you said. Sorry friend. Maybe I need to re-learn math... or something.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Wow, I'm completely lost with what you said. Sorry friend. Maybe I need to re-learn math... or something.

Dew you agree that all of this comes from sumthing?

If you agree to that, you need to see the werd "FROM" which denotes futuristic.

This Moment MUST come FROM sum where, sum thing?

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

"This Moment MUST come FROM sum where, sum thing?"

MUST it? You are assuming because you have not looked deep enough. 'This' moment of time is called 'now', and 'this' location is 'here', i know you like math so if you add now and here together you get nowhere. From nowhere nothing is seen by no one.

'Something' never was and never will be.
Nothing is all there is.
Emptiness is form, form is emptiness.

edit on 6-3-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

No one is thinking but thinking is heard. Look for the thinker. You can only look for the thinker presently. The one that is looking for the thinker is silent. You are the hearer of thought not the thinker or the thought.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Thinking and thought are the same thing sir/miss, lets not lose our sensibility to semantics. And I never said thinking is useless, this is not the point anyways. We are trying to examine whether or not thought can ever truly be in the present moment.

As B.U. Toad explained, Thought is the result of Thinking.

Thought is only in the present moment when Thinking has ceased. This is why, while Deep in Thought, the present is unrecognizable. It still occurs, though, as Thought is housed in a body which exists in linear time.

Thinking is never static, Thought is the cessation of Thinking. This is how one can get Lost in Thought.

Is time involved in thinking? Is there an interval of time, however short it may be, between the observation of a tree and the thought, "this tree is green"?

I will share an experience I had yesterday: I was walking through a field with rocks, looking down at the rocks as I walked. A rock caught my attention.

The Thinking part (Watcher) said: "Beautiful Rock" as I walked on.

The Thought part (Mind) then came along and said, "I should pick up that rock."

My body (Vehicle) then turned around to pick up the rock.

Meanwhile, the Watcher said, "There are many rocks."

The Mind said, "I hope I can find that rock."

And the Vehicle began to search for the rock.

I recognized each of those immeasurably tiny moments between Thinking and Thought, then Thought and Action. It does exist.

Each link of the chain is the present moment, just at slightly different present moments.

Are we not bringing the raw experience of the tree into our brain and then cross processing it with other associated experiences (knowledge) that are stored in the brain? If so, then in this interval of time the present moment is lost, our awareness is scanning the brain for images, words, concepts... all of the things the brain has accumulated in the past, just to think the thought, "this tree is green".

Yes, time must exist to process observations. Processing is only necessary to form a Thought. Thinking comes before processing. No processing is necessary if no thought forms.

To accept the tree as it is, without trying to quantify it with Thought, is to Think.

The confusion may lie in the fact that this processing happens extremely fast and so it goes unnoticed, but when the mind is in a state of deep meditation the clarity of our awareness is raised tremendously and these things become more obvious.

Yes, I agree. The only problem is that endless meditation is not feasible, and so Mindfulness becomes the awareness.

Regardless, I think you have the correct starting point and I do not want to confuse or challenge you any more. Stay as close to the present moment as possible, this is good for now.

Thank you, I appreciate the consideration of circumstance.
edit on 3/6/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

I will share an experience I had yesterday:
I was walking through a field with rocks, looking down at the rocks as I walked. A rock caught my attention.
The Thinking part (Watcher) said: "Beautiful Rock" as I walked on.
The Thought part (Mind) then came along and said, "I should pick up that rock."
My body (Vehicle) then turned around to pick up the rock.
Meanwhile, the Watcher said, "There are many rocks."
The Mind said, "I hope I can find that rock."
And the Vehicle began to search for the rock.

I recognized each of those immeasurably tiny moments between Thinking and Thought, then Thought and Action. It does exist. Each link of the chain is the present moment, just at slightly different present moments.

It is great that you are inquiring deeper into these things. And I don't want to spoon feed you knowledge which is important for you to find for yourself. But just to clarify:

The "Watcher" cannot say anything, it is the silent observer. The mind (thinker and thought, no division) is posing as the watcher, it is arising milliseconds after the raw observation of the rock, to label it as such, "a rock", which is why you believe while thinking you are still in the present moment. I dealt with this problem for over a year straight, where the mind wanted to also be aware of the present moment yet every time it would try, the present moment would flee. It cannot be both ways, either there is thought/thinking/the mind, and awareness is trapped in the past, or there is just raw awareness of the present moment and there is no thought/thinking/mind.

You are correct in asserting that there is even awareness of thought/thinking (the past), but when engaged in thought/thinking the awareness is confined to the boundaries of that thought, which is of the past, and so it is said that the awareness is of the past. Anyways, enough for now.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join