It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mblah's 4 Cheese Baked Macaroni with BACON

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I have been craving macaroni and cheese esp homemade baked for weeks now. I finally made some today. It came out delicious!

Who doesn't like macaroni and cheese? It's actually pretty quick and easy to make.

Ingredients
2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked)
8 slices of bacon diced
1/2 cup onion diced
1 tbs olive oil
3 tbs butter
2 1/2 cups milk
2 3/4 tbs flour
1/4 tsp each Salt/Pepper
1/2 tbs dried thyme
1 tsp mustard
3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup fresh shredded mozzarella
1 cup fresh Pecorino Romano, shredded (can use romano)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

1 1/2 tbs butter
1 cup dry plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F

Cook pasta according to box then set aside.

Put the one tbs of olive oil in a small pan then cook bacon and onion til done. Set aside.

In medium sauce pan heat butter til melted. Add flour and milk and stir on medium low heat til it thickens. Add all the cheeses, herb, mustard, salt/pepper, bacon and onion. Continue stirring on medium low heat til cheese is melted. Add macaroni then pour into greased casserole dish. I used a 10 inch pie plate and it worked just fine.

Next melt 1 1/2 tbs butter mix in bread crumbs and cheese. Sprinkle on top of macaroni and bake for 30 mins or until golden brown.

I served with some fresh Italian herb bread

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Yup looks delicious !

I can feel the heart attack already .

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Interesting, i've never used mustard before on macaroni cheese.
Sounds nice.
Looks very yummy, I'm hungry now!

"with BACON"
That drew my attention the most....and cos it's you

S&F

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I smell a conspiracy here. Where's the Asiago? Make it a five cheese dish. I'm a cheesehead (PackerBacker) and in my world...there is just not enough cheese! Oh...and beer.

To be truthful, I wish that everytime you posted a dish/recipe that it would show up in my in-box.

I've tried some of your recipes and they were delicious...and I know that I have failed at some as well, but they were still tasty.

Except the one time I fell asleep and damned near burnt the house down.
That meal was not edible in the aftermath.

I'm suing!

Ummm, do you know a good lawyer by the way?
edit on 3-3-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Oh yummy,the classic....fresh tomato's on the side

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Very very sexxeh!
I have my own recipe that is somewhat similar but like an above poster said, mustard....I may have to try that.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I smell a conspiracy here. Where's the Asiago? Make it a five cheese dish. I'm a cheesehead (PackerBacker) and in my world...there is just not enough cheese! Oh...and beer.

HAHA I just said to my fiancee's mom yesterday I wish I had some asiago! It's not easy to find here, Publix Grocery has it sometimes but it's not cheap....but oh how i LOVE asiago cheese.

To be truthful, I wish that everytime you posted a dish/recipe that it would show up in my in-box.

I can do that for you
hehe

I've tried some of your recipes and they were delicious...and I know that I have failed at some as well, but they were still tasty.

Really?! Im glad to hear people are trying my recipes! I've always loved to cook and feed people! I have had some failures myself and some have become really good meals and others well I just counted it as a loss lol

Except the one time I fell asleep and damned near burnt the house down.
That meal was not edible in the aftermath.

I'm suing!

HAHA! I haven't almost burnt the house down but I do burn/cut myself everytime I cook lol My fiancee says it's like a WW3 in the kitchen lol

I'm glad you enjoy my recipes. I like hearing people use them! I actually have to make baked ziti per request for a wedding at the end of this month so that will be posted here shortly. I'll send you a link when I get it up

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
Interesting, i've never used mustard before on macaroni cheese.

I have seen people use it and don't use it. You can use mustard powder but I prefer the spicy brown mustard myself. I like to use mustard in mac/cheese. TBH I'm not sure why either lol I have always added it to my mac/cheese, my mom did it that way. I also use it in my stroganoff

Sounds nice.
Looks very yummy, I'm hungry now!

"with BACON"
That drew my attention the most....and cos it's you

S&F

Hehe thanks....I had to put BACON in big letters for a reason

I think next time I make it I'll make a bacon crumble top instead and I might add some sour cream to make it a little more creamy. I usually make just regular cheddar cheese baked mac but I felt like trying something new

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

Oh yea I ate too much I think yesterday....but it was good.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I am a sucker. I click ANY link with the word BACON in it. Good recipe, will try it out this week. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
There's not nearly enough bacon in this recipe to qualify for a BACON in the title. Just sayin'.

I've never made mac and cheese, except out of a box. Made lots of stuff, don't know why that is. I might have a go at this one in a couple of days when I get some time. It's easy, which makes me happy. I'm old and lazy and decrepit and whiny and don't want to do more than I have to.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I also use it in my stroganoff

Yes me too.

Hehe thanks....I had to put BACON in big letters for a reason

That's always going to work

I think next time I make it I'll make a bacon crumble top instead and I might add some sour cream to make it a little more creamy.

Just
and yummy

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
There's not nearly enough bacon in this recipe to qualify for a BACON in the title. Just sayin'.

Bacon was capitalized to get attention

I know a few members, one already posted, who love food with bacon in it. I had never made this version before, I did it as I went along. I usually just make regular mac/cheese with diced ham. I still bake it but I don't add all the other ingredients. I want to add more bacon next time and make a bacon crumble top instead of the bread crumb topping.

I've never made mac and cheese, except out of a box. Made lots of stuff, don't know why that is. I might have a go at this one in a couple of days when I get some time. It's easy, which makes me happy. I'm old and lazy and decrepit and whiny and don't want to do more than I have to.

LOL yea it is pretty easy which is why I like it. Mac/cheese is pretty easy period to make from scratch. I also have another dish that is the same concept, let everything cook in a pot then layer it with corn tortilla's like a lasagna. That one too is easy

Mblah's Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Every time I make this it doesn't last long! You can adjust the ingredients anyway you want pretty much. I do it different every time depending on who is eating it. I love that about the recipe.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

I'm gonna make a mini one today in an individual dish to test the bacon topping. It's a cold day and well we haven't had many here in FL lately so I'm gonna enjoy it and cook all day. It will also help warm the apt with the lack of heat!

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Yummy...yummy...I heard a growl in my tummy!

S & F 'ed...another awesome recipe mblah...as always!

Some nice cooked spinach with vinegar sounds like a nice complimentary side to this...and a tall glass of Merlot!

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Mblah...another awesome recipe; full of flavor and desire!

However...I am one of those people who has to watch their fat intake....(cholesterol issues). I will share with you my low-fat version of mac and cheese.

2 cups whole wheat macaroni
1/3 cup chopped onions
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1 table spoon cornstarch
1 cup evaporated skim milk
Dash of ground white or black pepper
3 1/2 cups (14 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
(No-stick cooking spray)

Cook the macaroni, drain and set aside
Lightly spray a 2 quart casserole with no-stick spray and set aside
Preheat the oven to 350
Lightly spray a large saucepan with no-stick spray; add the onions and cook over medium heat (about 3 mins.)
In a small bowl stir together 2 tablespoons skim milk and the cornstarch until smooth
Stir in the remaining skim milk and the evaporated milk, pepper and cornstarch mixture into the onions
Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly; cook and stir for 1 minute more
Remove from the heat
Slowly stir in the cheese until melted
Stir the macaroni into the cheese sauce
Transfer the mixture to the casserole dish
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly

This recipe serves 6

Here is the nutrition:

Calories: (regular mac and cheese) 555 per serving...(low-fat version) 393

Fat (g): (regular) 33 grams per serving...(low-fat version) 13 grams per serving

Note: By using whole wheat macaroni...you get more fiber and protein per serving.

edit on 4-3-2012 by caladonea because: correction

edit on 4-3-2012 by caladonea because: add more

edit on 4-3-2012 by caladonea because: correction

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Oh the spinach does sound good!

I'd put spinach in it myself. I might have to try that sometime too.

Thank you

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Mblah...another awesome recipe; full of flavor and desire!

Thank you caladonea!

However...I am one of those people who has to watch their fat intake....(cholesterol issues). I will share with you my low-fat version of mac and cheese.

This sounds good. I also have friends who would enjoy this as well. I'd like to make my own pasta but I have to find a pasta to use instead of macaroni. I like making pasta but I am not so sure how to make elbow mac from scratch lol I might make mini bow tie pasta and make this. I have some wheat flour that was given to me. I want to use and now I have something to try it with!

Here is the nutrition:

Calories: (regular mac and cheese) 555 per serving...(low-fat version) 393

Fat (g): (regular) 33 grams per serving...(low-fat version) 13 grams per serving

Note: By using whole wheat macaroni...you get more fiber and protein per serving.

Not bad at all. Mine is most definitely higher by probably double or triple lol It was filling for sure though.

I like wheat macaroni. I didn't think I'd like it the first time I had it but it was pretty good. I had alfredo with it. I also enjoy spinach pasta. I have made spinach fettucini from scratch before and it was delicious!

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I will definitely try this.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
mblahnikluver
This recipie sounds so yummy im always looking for recipes that are high in calories and fat i have to take in at least 4 thousand calories a day so this is perfect ! I'm going to get the ingredients tomorrow and cook up a batch..S&F
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
great

top topics

<<   2 >>

join