It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Behavior

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm not going to make a long to-do about this, and it won't even really qualify as a rant. Why? Because I am entirely calm as I write this (albeit eager to get to dinner).

The point I want to make here is we so often type hundreds of things each week (assuming you browse ATS at work or home as a hobby, and don't just sporadically visit the web), and yet we forget that a lot of these people or services we address on the web are real people, and not just programs that we can vent our frustrations at.

Because it is impossible to email a roundhouse kick (unless you're Chuck Norris), and completely dehumanizing when it comes to emotions, the internet has undermined, to a very literal and absolute point, the value of human relationships.

Opinions have become cheap, thoughts have become factory-model, and all communication is now electronic...to the point that we have forgotten what it is to look someone in the face and say, "**** you, you dumb little ****, you're just a ****. Why don't you cry to mommy and break your computer? You should drop dead." These have become nothing but words to us, sent over the cyber space connection that draws lines from person to person in the world.

What kind of demoralized creatures have we become? Where has respect gone in this technological age? Don't forget: just because there's a monitor instead of a face, doesn't mean there isn't a soul on the other end!

I won't say anymore here...just watch this video. Have a wonderful day/night, everyone.

Watch this, please.

Namaste.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

What kind of demoralized creatures have we become? Where has respect gone in this technological age?

Internet makes us more anti-social. but more digital -social

When you mix that up with debating , it brings out the ugly in people. Now when you keep debating people , and are always in that ugly side that seems to come out , eventually you become that monster you try to avoid, But from talking to people on the internet so much it sticks and molds you . Till you look in the mirror and go what has happened to me. This is just one branch of the problem , values , morals , ethics , compassion , empathy are all falling , as we continue the path of reaching a godless society . Get used to it , because it is going to get alot worse , lol.

Here is a neat little video that shows , what happens when we over stimulate our selfs and the byproducts.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Very well said. It does seem to be easier for people to vent frustrations or anger online as opoosed to someones face. People that would normally bite their tounges don't have to worry about the reprocussions of their words. I also believe it is a model of the current society that we live in. People are not brought the same anymore. Kids don't learn respect and common decency anymore. I was lucky, I grew up in the 80s and 90s, but my upbringing was more akin to people who grew up in the 50s and 60s so respect for others and common decency was beat into me by example of those around me.

One thing we must remember though, is that when someone online is disrespectfull or rude or attacks you; most of the time that person does not know you personally and if they did it may go differently. I try not to let it get to me but I am only himan so it does from time to time.

The internet also desensitizes human contact. How many people argue by text/internet as apposed to in person these days. Teenagers don't even know how to communicate face to face anymore. Its sad, but every school needs a class period everyday without technology, interacting face to face to relearn how to do so.

Either way, these problems will contine and it is up to us to deal with them with rationallity and maturity. But good rant. Things like this need to be said as a reminder from time to time.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
so youre not all chatbots?

well this is a little embaressing.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
People who resort to name-calling are childish and some may just be trolls. I don't know why anyone would take to heart what people say on the internet- people that don't even know them.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I couldn't agree more, decorum and maturity should be the guidelines for posting to any public forum such as ATS. If only you followed them yourself.

top topics

join