It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

loss of arctic sea ice may lead to mercury deposits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
i did a search and didn't find this posted. if it's here somewhere my apologies. i thought it was interesting and worth sharing.

www.newsdaily.com...

"Significant declines in perennial Arctic sea ice over the past decade may be intensifying a chemical reaction that leads to deposits of toxic mercury, a NASA-led study showed on Thursday.

The study found that thick, perennial Arctic sea ice was being replaced by a thinner and saltier ice that releases bromine into the air when it interacts with sunlight and cold, said Son Nghiem, a NASA researcher at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena.

That in turn triggers a chemical reaction called a "bromine explosion" that turns gaseous mercury in the atmosphere into a toxic pollutant that falls on snow, land and ice and can accumulate in fish, said Nghiem, lead author of the study."
edit on 3-3-2012 by pasiphae because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

I think the new "envirionmental" friendly lightbulbs are a bigger source of this. These are packed full of mercury and other heavy metals, but yet thanks to the hoax of global warming these now are in nearly every home and is thrown straight into landfill leading to mercury leeching into ground water and lakes.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by juleol

while i do think the mercury filled bulbs are a bad idea i don't think climate change is a hoax. i really don't want to start an argument about that and derail the original post.
edit on 3-3-2012 by pasiphae because: edit for leaving a word out.

join