It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passion and Attitude are more important than beauty, intelligence, physical prowess, talent, or peac

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Most of life is about maintaining our passion and approaching things with the right attitude. This is an area that most philosophies ignore, or treat only as a side notion. Peace is great, but passion is better. The key is not to let your passions burn out of control, but more importantly, not to let it die. Our world is a place that runs in cycles, and so does our passions.

Its our passion that drive us through life, and attitude that allows us to take it all on. Our primary goal should be to hang on to our passion, and maintain the proper attitude. Living is Defying Inertia.

All that we do, and all that we make out of our life in this world comes from our passion to make these things happen, and bring our dreams alive.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
weeds choke the field, passion corrupts the nature of man
buddha

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

Which Buddha?

Reminds me why I turned about from Buddhism back when I was ten.

I never saw the worth in spending most of your time sitting around meditating. I think you learn far more, and do far more for yourself by getting out and exploring the world, spending your time doing things, building things, creating art, growing things, growing, nurturing, evolving, being creative.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Come to think about it, most religions aim to suppress our passions.

They would rather have us spend our spare time praying to god, or meditating, hoping for things to get better, rather than going out there to make things happen in this world.

Maybe that is because it makes us easier to control?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
im already liking where this thread is going. Yes I've experinced some great things but much of my life was spent inside my head and I am definitely paying for it as I grow older.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
with the exception of Jesus

I think if we have a true passion and love for God then we desire to please Him by doing in the world what he desires - loving each other.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

They would rather have us spend our spare time praying to god, or meditating, hoping for things to get better, rather than going out there to make things happen in this world.

this might be true of organized, religious, power structures run by man..
but is antithetical to the truth of how God wants us to operate here on this planet.
he WANTS us to go out and make things happen in the world!

your OP was spot on.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by natters

I have to admit, I am a big fan of what little there is of Jesus teachings. The Sermon on the mount is very interesting, especially when you consider what Jesus saw wrong with the scribes and the pharisees.

I see forgiveness as the chief of all virtues.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by slowisfast

Thanks. The way I see it, God was a creator, and I think he would want his creations to follow in his path, and be creators as well.

What do we want our children to do, spend all their time worshiping us, or going out there and making something of their lives?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Living is Defying Inertia

and incorporating defeat - then moving forward

I like this thread :-)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Learning to deal with defeat is a huge part of knowing how to maintain ones passion, and attitude.

The things that give us passion, also inspires passion in others, and so we have to learn to compete for what we want.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

unfortunatley attitude doesnt get you laid.

so have fun being the dodo of good attitude.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Jesus greatest triumph is literally his "Passion". In this case it means his triumph over the suffering of the agony in the garden, the way of the cross and his crucifixion.

If we translate this to modern "passion"-i think we can be encouraged to develop our talents.

For example a dancer or athlete has to put in 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to become an outlier. An artist, actor or scientist on the verge of a great work, expression or idea has to forgo friends and social life and sacrifice it for his work.

A musician has to deliberately perfect every piece. This causes pain, frustration and agony. But in the end out of the suffering comes something truly beautiful, heroic, or amazing.

Look at great outliers and they are not always the best technically...it is their passion that makes them so compelling: Madonna, Michel Jackson, Ethel Merman, Jackson Pollack, Oprah Winfrey, Pablo Picasso, Monet

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

unfortunatley attitude doesnt get you laid.

oh contrare. Attitude will get you laid more often than anything. Confidence is an attitude, how you approach your conquest is determined by your attitude. Attitude is a huge part of the formula.

Take it from an old dog who knows.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

Yeah, passion can make up for lack of talent, but talent can not overcome lack of passion.

Exactly.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Passion and attitude are key factors for ambition. Ambitious people love finding truths, or knowledge.

Now for me, meditation has been a positive experience for me. Anything in excess though can lead to cutting one off to new experiences. Habitual tendencies take over and we, humans, are consumed by them. Moderation is key because if one is not consumed by something, it leaves time during the day to experience new things.

To me, like you said, life is all about passion. This why I admire my little nephew, he is a passionate explorer. All of us were born this way, but we have been systematically conditioned through media, school, and adults to become part of the system. Thus the so called spiritual awakening happening around the world. And it's not necessary a spiritual idea, it's people connecting to the ideas of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Thanks for the thread, kind regards.

And remember what Socrates said, I know everything, yet I know nothing. So all my words above could be crap, but then again that's for you to decide. Enjoy.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

There must be balance; too much external experience without internal reflection creates imbalance, as does too much internal reflection without external experience. Basically, know the game, and play it.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by higns07

Thanks for contributing, excellent post.

Yes, of course introspection is important as well. Through meditation we can learn to temper our passion, and harness it for higher purposes, rather than pouring it out in wasteful ways.

It has been shown that when people were given the ability to pursue their own passions, they were far more productive and innovation, than when their activities were strictly controlled, yet more and more our institutions seek to control us in every aspect.

Like most mainstream religion, our institutions seem more interested in suppressing our passions.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I see balance as a very critical virtue. We don't talk enough about virtues these days. Virtues are what enables us to harness our passions to do the great thins we are capable of doing in life.

Ah, but is also important in life to remember to have fun.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I am Mr. Confusion, and need a little help here. "Passion and Attitude are more important . . . " For what purpose? What goal are you striving for here? As was suggested, to get laid? (of course not) but why, then?

All that we do, and all that we make out of our life in this world comes from our passion to make these things happen, and bring our dreams alive.
There are millions, if not billions of people with dreams. Some of those dreams are in conflict with each other. What do they do? Get more and more passionate? What if the dream is an evil one, is it good that that dream be striven for with great passion? How do you know if your dream is evil? It's your dream isn't it?

all that we make out of our life in this world
Many would say this is a trap, that the things that happen in this world are at best, temporary, and at worst, illusions. Wise believers have always put their emphasis on the life to come, not this world.

But, as I say, I am very easily confused.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join