It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You think we have it hard? Think about the citizens of Panem.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If you don't know where Panem is than you should go back to 7th grade geography class. The citizens are ruled under an iron fist by a dictator, and every year 24 teenagers from 12 starving districts must fight to the death. They have it worse than North Koreans. 12 districts produce something different for the rich capitol which has rich citizens and the elite. Once a year a male and female between 12-18 from each district fight to death on live television, in an arena with many deadly things.

edit on 3-3-2012 by Seanwalsh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Other people have it worse so we should subject ourselves to suffering and be grateful we aren't them. Typical slave mentality.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Seanwalsh

I am on the third book in the series right now, and just last night reading it, I was amazed at the plot and thoughts of the characters, it seemed to so directly relate to what we as a country are heading towards and what I can imagine in our future.

By the way, the subject of this thread should be....Everyone should read The Hunger Games series.

The Hunger Games is the first book, Catching Fire is the second and Mockingjay is the third.

Best books I've read in YEARS.

The Hunger games will be a movie coming out late March.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Hahah i know. The person above you thinks i wasn't kidding.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Well you could have done a better job of starting a thread. This series is worth a thread.

There was a conversation that included a latin phrase Panem et Circenses (in Mockingjay)
, it translates to Bread and Circuses, which is what the people of the Capitol in the book live by. It was so Apropos. Each book has such meaning.
edit on 3-3-2012 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Thank you for pointing out that fact that most of us who are doing a lot of complaining right now, really dont have it bad at all.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Haha. I have the cookbook and there are like 50 bread recipes.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
This thread needs to be removed from "social issues and civil unrest" and placed into the trash can. A very misleading post. Making light of real people in horrible conditions is very sad indeed.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

The wife and I took my Nephew out for dinner and a movie last weekend and this was one of the previews!
I said now that looks like a winner there, my nephew started in on me about the trilogy and that I could borrow them.
I did so and now I'm done only after a couple of days.
I'd say the series was good with a believable ending, not quite a fairytale ya know.
But yeah, the folks of panem have it hard, much worse than us.
Oh yeah, Go Woody Haymitch!!

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seanwalsh
If you don't know where Panem is than you should go back to 7th grade geography class. The citizens are ruled under an iron fist by a dictator, and every year 24 teenagers from 12 starving districts must fight to the death. They have it worse than North Koreans. 12 districts produce something different for the rich capitol which has rich citizens and the elite. Once a year a male and female between 12-18 from each district fight to death on live television, in an arena with many deadly things.

edit on 3-3-2012 by Seanwalsh because: (no reason given)

There is no such nation as Panem. I suggest you go back to the third grade and learn how to tell the difference between informational books and fictional books. Look on the bright side, that money you where saving for tuition fees at Hogwarts is now free for the spending.. lol

top topics

join