It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movie lovers..PLEASE HELP...my top 10

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I have a passion for GOOD movies. I love science fiction,war and horror.My top 10 in no particular order are :-

1. Planet of the apes (all)
2. Final destination (all)
3. Face off
4. Taken
5. The 6th day
6. Westworld
7. The great escape
8. Reach for the sky
9. Das boot
10 The dirty dozen

I would be interested to hear what your favourite films are and why you like them.

THANKS in advance for your response .......

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Looks like a solid list.

Im not sure in what order, but i could list 10 that should be considered, if that reminds you of any missed gems

silence of the lambs,
event horizon,
shawshank redemption,
Blade runner,
fight club,
pulp fiction,
inception,
terminator(1 and 2),
Heat,
and um... gunna go with somthing lighter for last place... the big lebowski

Sci fi, great story, light horror and comedy - the more they cram into one movie the better, they are my reasons.

edit on 3-3-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I am a great fan of action,science fiction and horror movies.Most of the movies you mentioned above are good.
My list of favorite movies includes:
1.Air Force One
2.The Thing
3.Total Recall
4.Running man.
5.The Fugitive.
6.Cube
7.Inception
8.The Departed
9.The dark knight.
10.The Prophecy.

These are the only ones that I can think of now.Nice thread

edit on 3-3-2012 by Claudius because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I love horror/thriller movies here are a few of my favorites:

In the Mouth of Madness
A Clockwork Orange
Misery

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Likes all kind of movies this is my top 10

Ricochet
The 6th Sense
Green Mile
City of Angels
Goodfellas
Dejavu
The Manchurian Candidate
A long came a spider
Die hard(all)
Platoon

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I love every film genre, including Rom Coms, so to narrow a list down to ten is like asking me which nut I'd like to have cut off, so to reduce the pain, I'll just list 10 movies I like in the Genres you specified.

01. Watchmen
02. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
03. Alien(s)
04. Inception
05. The Matrix
06. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
07. Jaws
08. Big Trouble In Little China
09. Saving Private Ryan
10. District 9

Again, this is just a list of movies I like as I could never pick a favorite. You ask me again in 20 minutes and this list is likely to be different.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Braveheart! Number one! Makes a big man cry and makes you go through the whole scale of emotions. Always the best. And based (loosely) on a real story adds some balls to it..

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
There are the 10 movies that if they are on TV it is impossible for me to turn off.

Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
Top Gun
The Departed
The Book of Eli
The Dark Knight
Grandma's Boy
Super Troopers
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Collapse (most eye opening documentary that I have seen)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by gramps007

Hmmm...let's see:

1.) Fear and loathing in Las Vegas
2.) reservoir dogs
3.) Star Wars (all)
4.) Indiana Jones (all)
5.) Full metal jacket
6.) Sin city
7.) Akira
8.) The Salton Sea
9.) Life of Brian
10.) Fargo

In no particular order.

Peace

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Man I love stuff like this. Kinda beats the head pounding trauma of trying to understand what the heck is happening in the world.

So without any further ado:

1. Signs - A lot of people gets this confused as an alien movie. For me it was a lot more personal than that. The fact aliens were in the movie does not necessarily mean it was about them. They served as a backdrop to Gibsons character who had lost faith only to slowly regain it over the course of the movie. For me this will always be my favourite.

2. How To Train Your Dragon - Yeah its an animation, but to be honest if every movie made me feel emotions as much as this did then I'd have a bigger difficulty coming up with a Top 10. This movie had it all - Humour, romance, joy, sadness... There were just to many elements that made this a fantastic experience to watch.

3. The Goonies - Need I say more. Came out roughly when I was just discovering life is too short to be taken seriously. One of the few gems that should never and could not be replicated "YOU HEAR ME HOLLYWOOD?" From the moment the credits started rolling I wanted to go on a crusade to find my own pirate ship. How often does a movie make you want to do that?

4. Jurassic Park - One of the very few movies that had me on the edge of seat. I had bother trying to visualize the Dinosaurs when I started reading the book prior to the movie release, not out of lack of imagination, rather to how man could interact with these creatures. Not always well as the film assumed, although it was about time these prehistoric beasts got the treatment they deserved thanks to CGI.

5. Close Encounters of The Third Kind - For it's time this movie is a masterpiece. Even though I had some gripes involving the climax, especially the aliens but the build up was exceptional and a good vocal point for how governments can be ruthless against their citizens to cover up any contact from other worldly entities.

6. The Prophecy - Forget Legion, forget Michael, forget City of Angels, for me this movie could be an accurate portrayal of how angels feel and act against not only humans but to their own kind. There was something eerily human in this movie that had myself wondering if angels do exist, they may not be so different from ourselves.

7. Waiting For Forever - As a guy I hate romance films nearly all of the time mainly due to their predicability, but this movie went for a different angle in terms of how love is found and lost. It is a tragic tale of how two individuals who grew up together went their seperate ways within their own lives. Or so you think when the girl finds out that her once best friend has been following her all over the country just to be close to her. It is not as creepy as it sounds as revelations are revealed as to why he does this is not down to stalking or possessiveness, but mainly trying desperately hard to hang unto something that will stop him from facing his problems. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

8. Ong Bak - Brilliant, brutal and relentless this movie for me really set the benchmark in terms of martial art movies. The timing and choreograph was so pin perfect for the execution of bone cruching, muscle jawing moves that had you begging for more of the same like some sadistic madman long after the credits. One of the few movies I forgave in an instant of a paperthin plot especially when I discovered the amount of injuries that was inflicted during the making of the movie.

9. Wargames - One of the few movies from my childhood that resonates even more today in terms of computer hacking. With the growing threat of cyber warfare this concentrated on a geek schoolboy who inadvertently starts the countdown towards WW3 by hacking into the defence program servers. The finale of making the machine learn odds of winning a nuclear war is still by far an edge of the seat thriller.

10. Gremlins - Pure manic genius. The idea of supernatural creatures causing havoc on a grand scale was always going to be a winner in my book and instead of hating the chaos creating half brothers of the innocent mowgi, you actually went along for the ride and enjoyed their senseless destruction. A comedic gem.

Thats basically it. I await the thunder of the obvious ones that didn't make it but I like my films to have heart.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Never thought of making a top 10, will be pritty hard but i'll give it a shot. I typically like films that make you think, which tends to be Sci-Fi, but i do have a special spot for particular comedies;

1.Trainspotting
2.Children Of Men
3. Gattaca
4. Monty Python and The Holy Grail
5. V for Vendetta
6. Soylant Green
7. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
8. 12 Monkeys
9. A Scanner Darkly
10. Shaun of the Dead

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
hmm, I wont be able to put mine in order either but here they are

the philedelphia story (jimmy stewart, not tom hanks lol)
the changeling (the 1970's george c scott one, not the angelina jolie one)
the shining
the highlander
braveheart
monty python and the holy grail
event horizon
nightmare on elm street 1, the original
lord of the rings
(spot reserved for a later time, can't think of any more) lol
edit on 3-3-2012 by hapablab because: (no reason given)

ok the other one would be any mystery science theater 3000 episode, they are as long as movies so there lol
edit on 3-3-2012 by hapablab because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I can't pick a top 10. Any south Korean movie for a start, (if the story is crap (rarely) at least there's some epic handsomeness worth watching). The movies I'll never switch over if they're on telly have to be

all about eve
the war of the roses
the host
oldboy
natural born killers
mildred pearce
la confidential
city of god
planet of the apes, (original)
ben hur (original)
and anything else with Bette Davis or Joan Crawford. My top 10 is really a top 100. Can't cut them down.

Watched a bit of a foreign movie the other night on telly. A Prophet. I missed the first half but will definitely look out for it again, it looks like a cinema gem I want in my collection.

CITY OF GOD starts at 10pm tonight on channel Dave. UK. Masterpiece.
edit on 3-3-2012 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Oh wow! How do you make a list of only 10?

I'll give it a shot though, so in no paticular order:-

Das Boot - This is just so atmospheric, simply brilliant, always feel exhausted at the end.
Indiana Jones - Has to be the first one, can't beat this on Christmas Day, great action adventure.
Monty Python: Life of Brian - Superbly funny, comic genius.
A Bridge Too Far - Gritty realistic war film, the Private Ryan of it's day.
Zulu - Another excellent war film.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - LOL I know, take the P... great kids film that's innocent and takes me back
Rambo - Good meat head film for relaxing and not having to think hehe
Pale Rider - Great western with a twist, reminds me of my trip to Arizona
Escape From Alcatraz - Another Clint film, great suspense that finds you routing for the bad guy.
Westworld - A classic, what else is there to say about this one?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Wow, thx ATS, awsome movie lists. Check this out...
1. The Deer Hunter
2. Dead Man
3. 2001 Space Odyssey
4. The Exorcist
5. Insomnia
6. Requiem for a dream
7. Illuminata
8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
9. Se7en
10. The Shining

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Wow im shocked Lord of the rings, and starwars hasn't made it into anyones list...

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
Wow im shocked Lord of the rings, and starwars hasn't made it into anyones list...

yeah or matrix.

im thinking its the trillogy thing, people feel they are not "movies" the same as some other sequenual movies.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Take another look, its there

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
born in 1967, which made me the star wars generation. I was 10, 13, and 16 when the first trilogy came out. so

Episode V the empire strikes back
Indiana jones and the ark of the covenant
ET
Close encounters
Jaws
dead poets society
the fisher king
Rocky
LOTR the return of the king
Logans Run

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

It made my list

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join