It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why dont you try searching before posting a thread, before you jack the work of someone else?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Just irritating to post a thread, then within minutes, or a couple of hours after being off the front page, someone posts the exact same article. I mean is it laziness or is it opportunism?

I always do a search before I post a thread, it only takes 1 minute then this doesnt happen.www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This happens every time I post a link, if this is the way things are done around here, I will just stop posting links on this site and take my time somewhere more productive.

I invite you all to post links of yours that were jacked, I wander if there is a consistant pattern of the same people being responsible?

I mean it takes a minute, no really a minute, to do a search. It is just basic social etiguette, and common courtesy.

-Rant off

I know, this shouldnt even be that big a deal to me, and I am obviously over reacting here. Just some times it is the smallest thing in the world, that turns into the straw that broke the camels back. I was just having a bad day at the time, then I saw that ArchPLayer had reposted the exact same story I had, but his was more popular because of timing. Which really ercked me also, which makes it even worse seeing how petty it really is in the first place.

edit on 3-3-2012 by reddwhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

yeah good one.

edit on 3-3-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by reddwhite

I think they're allowed as long as they are not in the same forum. One is in Science & Technology and the other is in Breaking Alternative News.

But yes, I understand what you mean. Even more annoying is the "I don't know if this has been posted before". Well, that's what the search is for!

And yes, sometimes the search doesn't bring up the other threads because they use different titles but with the key words it can't be that difficult to find. Remember the dozen threads about the Baltic sea UFO? All had practically the same title, but even if they had been worded different, the search DID bring up results with only using "Baltic" and "UFO".

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

OUCH.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I've lost count the many times I've looked for an existing thread in ATS's search engine but couldn't find it. Even when I know it exists. I can see why posts get repeated.

Also it's easier to get more of a response from a newer thread on a subject rather than one a year old. What if new light came to an old subject? The information would get lost a lot quicker on a post most people have already averted there attention away from.

The search function isn't what I would call efficient.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs

yeah good one.

edit on 3-3-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

I wish I could give you more stars! Classic.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
What a cool topic, I went over and posted to the better dressed of the two forums.
I did give you a star for this topic however, is that what you are hinting at?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
dont flame me for this but, i absolutely hate the search function in ATS. horrible.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

The mods moved my thread to where it is now, and never moved his.???? They are not in the same forum now, even though it is the exact same story. Only difference was my link was popsci and his was yahoo, oh and he was a day late. Not to mention I have seen The Mods close threads that are reposts in different forums. That wont up my flag and star count though, they already got sniped. Which is what I think the point of doing it is, and I bet that a few of the same people are consistently responsible.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I think there are two different threats. Those that need repeating because nobody ever listens: Included in these are rants about grammar, annoyances and generalities. They just have to be repeated every now and then as they seem to go into one ear and out of the other.
Then there are threads about news or interesting topics. These should not be repeated too often. If someone took the time to research something or maybe if someone is the first to post important news, then no, don't keep repeating it the same day or only hours later, replacing the original with cheap copies.
I think the OP means the latter and I agree. I am also on other smaller forums, which have a very close knit community and every thread there is gold. People there get rid of nutters quite quickly and there are good discussions going, sometimes for weeks. Here on ATS I have the feeling I am in a public place, surrounded by some good interesting people but drowned out by lary tramps, mentalists, kids and biblebashers. The only reason I am still here after I joined is that every now and then there is an interesting topic and often there are voices of reason. This thread is a reasonable rant IMO. S&F

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

"Also it's easier to get more of a response from a newer thread on a subject rather than one a year old. What if new light came to an old subject? The information would get lost a lot quicker on a post most people have already averted there attention away from."

Very good point! S for you sir, I meant to say somthing about that and forgot.

We arent talking about a 1 year old thread though, we are talking about 8hours from my op to his op.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Err.... If Stars and Flags even come into it, maybe we're focusing on the wrong thing? I'd be lying to say I'm not aware of my mini-profile stats. Who isn't? It isn't what drives anything I do though... Err.. Pardon my observation, but the reason for the rant comes into question with the S/F statement.

Maybe it's just me..but I looked over the last 3 threads you wrote..and I can't see the problem? They all looked successful enough? Heck..as for topic dupllication. Welcome to ATS. I posted the Tornado yesterday and had another great member here piggyback another post with a slight variation on take right atop mine.

Nothing deliberate and I think we were both a little chagrined to see how that one worked out. No matter... From what I could see we both kinda made lemonade with lemons and more people posted more threads on the whole thing later. No harm, no foul...and I doubt the other member saw my post as a dent in his flag count.
I know I didn't.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
so you're angry because you don't think you're getting the credit you deserve for posting a link?
shouldn't the message be more important than the messenger?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

This is a rant not a link to an news item or story or related subject matter or material, I dont suppose that would matter to you much?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Superman, I had to sign in just to Star you and Bligs. TOO funny!

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

IT has nothing to do with the star or flag count, almost every thread I have put up does pretty well, thats what comes from attempting to only post quality content. It is more about quality control to me, than anything. Out of every 100 threads that come through here at least 30 are probably reposted, and then linked to inferior sources. When the first op would usually be linked either right back to the source, or a well respected source that is right in the forfront of reporting on the subject matter. Not a bland amalgamated news conglomerate. Not to say I havent linked yahoo myself before, but only if I found a story their that was not found on any of my other usual haunts. Doesnt happen often, but it does happen.
edit on 3-3-2012 by reddwhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

haha

Yup, if you can think of it....chances are its been posted

Thats why i tend not to bother starting threads.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyStardust

" I know, this shouldnt even be that big a deal to me, and I am obviously over reacting here. Just some times it is the smallest thing in the world, that turns into the straw that broke the camels back. I was just having a bad day at the time, then I saw that ArchPLayer had reposted the exact same story I had, but his was more popular because of timing. Which really ercked me also, which makes it even worse seeing how petty it really is in the first place."

As stated in my op this is just a rant, to blow off steam. While at the same time putting my personal touch on a subject that has been posted more times than any other I can find in the search engine.

The intend of my post isnt as serious as some of you seem to think, it is more tongue in cheek as most of us have done it at some point, and many will continue into the future.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by reddwhite
reply to post by superman2012

This is a rant not a link to an news item or story or related subject matter or material, I dont suppose that would matter to you much?

No. Not when you say this:

I always do a search before I post a thread, it only takes 1 minute then this doesnt

You obviously didn't. I understand the need to whine and complain that someone "stole your thunder" though. If you use the search function, I am sure that there are many threads just like yours.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by reddwhite

Fair enough..and I might have been a bit harsh in hindsight to my reply. Afterall, I wrote a thread myself, in this very forum, almost duplicating what you said here. As have many others..... For what it's worth....

That wont up my flag and star count though, they already got sniped. Which is what I think the point of doing it is, and I bet that a few of the same people are consistently responsible.

That was the actual quote from your post above that I keyed on for the Flags interest. Again.. a bit harsh of me perhaps and my bad if so.

top topics

join