It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone had a positive experience with sleep paralysis?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jauk3
Looks like everyone here has sleep paralysis, while I am still struggling to get it! but I haven't succeeded yet. I think it's because of my strict sleep pattern, I never take naps and I always go to bed at around 11PM.
But thanks for making this thread, reading all these stories, seems like I am still at lvl 1 for having an OBE

I won't give up though.
edit on 6-3-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

For me, it wasn't something I got by trying. I had it happen 4 times when I was younger, usually right after waking up from a severe nightmare. It didn't happen again up until October through December of 2011 despite really trying to have the experience (stopped when I was about 7 years old - I am now 23). I am an avid dreamer, and usually have around 3-4 dreams per night - I remember every single one. When the SP started up again, I knew that it was not a dream since I know exactly what those feel like. Weird thing about it was that during those 3 months last year, I also started having massive insomnia, my first cases of sleep walking, and every dream I had was a "false awakening" type dream. I started to feel like I was literally going insane. After the "alien abduction" SP, all of these issues stopped and I went back to getting 8 hours of sleep each night. Seems like as soon as I mastered the "roll out" technique, I went back to normal, unable to explore my new found ability to astral project. I think that's why I didn't find any of my SP episodes to be negative - they helped me explore something I have always wanted but only read about.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xFloggingMaryx

ive had that happen to me and i never even knew that was what SP was, ive never seen anything that freaked me out butn i have had the ability of not being able to move when i eventually wake up which startles me a little bit but never really bothered me.

i have had this happen to me several times in the past few years but nothing as of recent, what brings on SP does anyone know?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

i have had this happen to me several times in the past few years but nothing as of recent, what brings on SP does anyone know?

I've heard so many explanations... that it is a demonic attack, Alien Attack, you just got back from an abduction, or they paralyzed you to heal you etc..

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

I hear ya! But let me ask you this. How could somebody, that is just lying in bed without even thinking of OBEs etc. have an OBE? I understand that you have to physically try to get in this state.

Having sleep paralysis equates to being able to "cheat" and skip all the relaxation and meditation and stuff. When one wakes up with sleep paralysis, they can just will themselves up and out. It's a fluke, but an advantageous one to those who know what to do with it.

Every 'typical' sleep paralysis, happens without the 'victims' wanting that to happen. Plus they experience the same stuff. Something evil being in the room, being watched etc.

I think the scary stuff is probably less common, or even just as common, as the regular episodes of SP, but the regular episodes are just reported less because it isn't very interesting to hear about. Everyone I've spoken to in real life on the subject has experienced it at least once in their life, but with no freaky hallucinations.

I think people who experience the creepy stuff are probably still partially asleep. It seems likely to me, because there are times where I get up in the middle of the night to pee, fully conscious and aware of what I'm doing, and I'm still watching bits of my dream, and then I go back to bed and continue on. So even if someone is "awake" and aware of their body being asleep, they could still kind of be in that in between state of dreaming and reality, and the sensations of sleep paralysis (heavy chest, someone holding them down, etc) could freak them out and cause hypnagogic hallucinations.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by caf1550
reply to post by xFloggingMaryx

ive had that happen to me and i never even knew that was what SP was, ive never seen anything that freaked me out butn i have had the ability of not being able to move when i eventually wake up which startles me a little bit but never really bothered me.

Stress, lack of sleep, etc etc can cause it. But all it is really, is the paralysis that occurs when your body enters REM sleep. Your body paralyses so that it doesn't act out it's dreams and possibly hurt itself. When you wake up with it, it just means that you have woken up before your REM cycle was complete.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Morgenstern89

this might be a icredibly dumb question but, what is the differance between Sp, Lucid dreaming and REM sleep

i actually don't know a lot about any

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I think people who experience the creepy stuff are probably still partially asleep. It seems likely to me, because there are times where I get up in the middle of the night to pee, fully conscious and aware of what I'm doing, and I'm still watching bits of my dream, and then I go back to bed and continue on. So even if someone is "awake" and aware of their body being asleep, they could still kind of be in that in between state of dreaming and reality, and the sensations of sleep paralysis (heavy chest, someone holding them down, etc) could freak them out and cause hypnagogic hallucinations.

My SPs, as far as i remember, never occurred during sleep but always just before I fell asleep or was just lying in Bed. It never happened to me that I woke up to a sleep paralysis.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by caf1550

this might be a icredibly dumb question but, what is the differance between Sp, Lucid dreaming and REM sleep

i actually don't know a lot about any

Nah, not a dumb question at all, it gets confusing.

Sleep Paralysis is what happens either when you remain aware while going into, or gain awareness just before coming out of REM sleep. It's when your motor neurons aren't stimulated, and I believe that's what actually causes the muscles not to move.

REM(rapid eye movement) is the kind of sleep that indicates you are deeply asleep, and it's when most vivid dreams occur.

Lucid dreaming is just when you become aware within your dream, and can control the events, settings, and so on and so forth. It's closely associated with Astral Projection/OBEs, and there's some debate as to whether lucid dreams and OBEs are both the same thing. I personally feel that they are different, as there is less awareness during a lucid dream(for me), and I was 100% aware and conscious during my OBE.

My SPs, as far as i remember, never occurred during sleep but always just before I fell asleep or was just lying in Bed. It never happened to me that I woke up to a sleep paralysis.

It can happen both when waking up and when going to sleep. I have a bad habit of using "Hypnagogic" to describe both kinds. Hypnagogic is usually used when referencing hallucinations experienced going to sleep, and hypnopompic is the proper term for them when waking up.

People who try to "get" sleep paralysis, are really just trying to force their minds to remain aware while all these processes are going on, which is pretty tricky to do.

edit on 6-3-2012 by Morgenstern89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The only positive experience I've had with sleep paralysis is when it's over. Learned from it, that's it, it's never a 'fun' thing.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

That's totally different from my experiences. Every single time I get SP it's when I'm waking up. I've never had it falling asleep or just lying in bed.

Maybe that's why I've never had any negative experiences with it. My mind is already completely awake, it's just my body that hasn't exactly caught up yet. Perhaps the negative experiences associated with SP occur when the mind is still partially asleep.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Reply to post by xFloggingMaryx

I suffer from regular sleep paralysis. Even more after an operation I had back in 08.

At first it scared the heck out of me. But I quickly learned about it and now even enjoy it believe it or not. Im on my mobile, but will look for this thread when I get to the office where I can type better.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus
The only positive experience I've had with sleep paralysis is when it's over. Learned from it, that's it, it's never a 'fun' thing.

That sounds about right. I mean, it's never been "fun" for me either.
But it certainly hasn't been as horrifying and emotionally traumatizing as most other people have said it is. So I figured I'd start this thread to see if other people have had episodes of sleep paralysis and haven't been fazed by it (after all, in most of the other threads involving sleep paralysis, everyone's experiences are always negative ones).

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MainLineThis

I'm curious, what kind of operation was it that it caused you to experience sleep paralysis after the fact? (of course, I understand if you don't wish to divulge this, I just figured I'd ask to satisfy my own curiosity).

And yeah, sleep paralysis was pretty alarming for me the first few times I got it as a child. But then, after a few times of experiencing it, I started to get used to it. So now it doesn't faze me. I didn't figure out what it was until a few years ago though. So I was experiencing it without knowing what it was for over 10 years, and even then... didn't bother me too much. But I think I'm just starting to repeat myself and ramble on in this thread. Haha.

(As an aside, I love your signature.
)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I have had sp since I was a child it was always discomforting. I think lucid dreaming/remsleep and sp is different because I've had it both I don't know what it is but I found a way to instantly wake up from sp. I take a huge breath cause I can control my breathing and I am not afraid.

I have lucid dreams when I feel good and always early in the morning after having nightmares in the night I get beautiful dreams in the morning. also I had a obe once I realized I was lucid dreaming. I reached the stars in my dream and suddenly got a tunnel vision with light at the end popped out of my body got my hearth pumping like crazy instantly woke up and it never happend again. I think I can will it now to happen but I am to afraid of what will happen if I try to obe.

if anyone is experiencing obe would love to hear what happens when you get out I'm to scared to do it.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Padisah

Whenever I get it... I find that only my feet are the least vulnerable to succumbing to it.
Whenever I get sp I start to wiggle my foot/feet back and forth and side to side until it breaks the sp on my legs.
Then when my legs break free I can move my body again.
But sometimes I find that my legs are the intense focus of the sp. Spooky.
Yet my feet never failed me.
I wiggle until I can break free... I can't emphasize that enough.

It's common to hear that witches are the sole culprits of this event...
I've come to learn this belief has some real substance to it.

Also... the sp brings me very, very close to dying of suffocation.
However, when that happens... your/my mind wakes up but your/my body is still asleep or sp'd.
It is important to remember, as I speak from experience, that you can control you're heart rythm and your breathing. Be mindful and remain calm. You can even summon air toward your nose and mouth.
Dunno much about that. And it deosn't always work, but your feet won't let you down. That much I know has worked always for me...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Never had a positive experience. Infact, i've only experienced it twice (in one night, consecutively) in my entire life, and they were literally the most terrifying experiences i've ever had. Mine involved shadowy figures with erratic movements approaching my feet at the end of the bed.

Literally didn't sleep for two days after that.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
so here's my experience. i have sp and the only time it happens is when im uncomfortable. last night for example. we turned the ac on for the first time this year and i think it blew dust and crap out because i awoke not being able to properly breathe through my nose and couldnt get my mouth to open. so i know what it is. it doesnt bother me. i just wish once i could wake up with sp and not have a breathing problem or dead arm, or just in an uncomfortable position. i can get myself out of it with effort only to roll over and fall back asleep. i sleep on my stomach and have tried to start sleeping on my back so to be ready for it but my gf just wakes me up and tells me to roll over cuz i snore when im on my back. so its hard to get one where i can play with it. but ive had this happen maybe......15 times in my life and have never been in a position to play with it. ive had em where i can move with effort and where i really have to use all my will to move just because i cant breathe or im in pain from a dead limb. im a hard sleeper so i guess the only time i wake up for one is when my body needs to reposition.otherwise, if i wasnt concentrating on moving my body so i could breathe properly, i would be ok with it. and ive never experienced anything dark or hallucinatory or auditory with it. but i really do wanna play with it and find that part out. im fairly interested in obe lucid dreaming and astral travel. btw, the music, spinning, and other...spiritual... things are your mind accessing theta beta and delta brainwaves you produce during sleep to access the higher level of dimensions most are currently unaware about. my 2 cents

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
actually.......now that i think back on my experiences, i want to say once i had the experience of HAVING to move because something or someone is around me only to move and find no one there. its vague but i think i remember an experience like that.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I'm attempting to write a post about an experience I had just last night. I just came across this site and decided to sign up and share because it is the only article/blog that I have read that I feel like I can connect with. After doing some research I have found that sleep paralysis best describes scientifically what I experienced to a certain extent but even as I spent most of today reflecting on my experience and reading what I have about sleep paralysis and every other sleep disorders/experiences that happen while 'asleep'. Based on what I've read I feel like I'm in a state of questioning.. I'm questioning my experience because for me my experience was not negative and I do feel like most of what I have read comes off as negative and that the experiences during sleep paralysis are commonly perceived as negative... Maybe what I experienced was not sleep paralysis but I'm going to share it anyways with the hopes that someone may have experienced something similar or that someone would be willing to share their perspective about what I can best describe as my experience...
What I experienced last night as I was asleep was common symptoms of sleep paralysis.. In the moment I felt consciously aware that there was a presence in my room however I did not feel afraid. I was awake but unable to move, all I could do was sense what was happening. I then had an overwhelming feeling of a great amount of pressure on my chest that was so intense I gasped for air and nearly jumping right out of my skin and my bed.. It almost felt as if someone was giving me one a super tight bear hug.. My whole upper body felt like it was being squeezed so right.. Once that feeling subsided I nearly jumped out of my skin. I could still feel a presence in my room and I just laid there in that moment.. I didn't sleep much after that because I was in a state of reflection, curious about what the experience was... What it meant.. If there was meaning behind it..
I immediately thought about my younger brother.
I made the connection right after it happened not really knowing if it meant anything but intuition has thoughts our mind cannot perceive.
I feel very strongly that what I experienced last night was my brother making his presence known..
There are no facts to prove it, but this is what I am taking from this experience. And I will continue to ask him to give me signs that he is here...
Thanks for reading..
..if a reply to: xFloggingMaryx

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I get sleep paralysis 2 or 3 times a week. At first it was terrifying and I hallucinated crazy things and the feeling of being unable to move was horrible but now I'm just used to it. To be honest it's annoying more often than anything. But, now that I'm so used to it, it no longer gives me fear. I get ecstatic, and I embark on these crazy intense lucid dreams. But for a long time, it was terrifying.

My neurologist said something interesting to me. He said that there is a link between epilepsy/seizure activity and sleep paralysis. Every now and then I have a sleep seizure which causes me to act out my dreams. The dreams I have when this happens (the bits I remember anyway) are exactly like what I have with sleep paralysis.

I don't know much about that and I can't really back that up with anything, but I thought it was an interesting possibility that sleep paralysis has something to do with the electric in your brain. And, you don't necessarily have to have epilepsy to have seizures or occasional abnormal electric patterns.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join