It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glenn Grothman, Wisconsin Senator, Proposes Law That Declares Single Parenthood Child Abuse

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Glenn Grothman, Wisconsin Senator, Proposes Law That Declares Single Parenthood Child Abuse

news link

State senator Glenn Grothman, an admitted opponent of the social welfare establishment that he believes encourages women to have children out of wedlock, introduced Senate Bill 507, which would formally consider single parenthood a contributing factor to child abuse, if passed into law.

SB507 would require the Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Board to emphasize that non-marital parenthood is a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
jezebel.com
edit on 3-3-2012 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Our children are not our own - and have not been for a very long time - but this new proposal just adds even more insult to injury. Really - What’s the next step? Single mothers who’re forced to give up their babies at birth? You think that sounds outrageous? It isn’t. It’s just the next logical step isn’t it? Isn’t it?

I’m not going to site all the ‘women I know who made great single parents’ because that’s not the point, nor is the opposite, all the mothers who made horrible parents. The point is Governments overreaching powers over your families.

When is it going to stop?

Edit to Add: Question

Though different jurisdictions have different definitions Wiki defines child abuse as:

Child abuse is the physical, sexual or emotional mistreatment or neglect of a child.

What's your opinion? Does single parent child rearing fall into the above definition?

link
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3-3-2012 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
They don't want to teach sex-ed in school.

They don't want women to have contraceptive.

They don't want women to have abortions.

They don't want women to be single parents.

What do They want?

Sounds like They want your children. Doesn't it.

My question: What for? Arguably all the above will only perpetuate more children/families dependent on the State. A 'State' (They) that can't afford the dependents they have now.

Scary stuff that. It makes me wonder 'why'...

peace

edit on 3-3-2012 by silo13 because: removed link containing extremely objectionable profanity

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Too late in the game to try to bring the family back. White people used to blame black violence on black fathers not being fathers. Now it is the white thing to do: open your legs for any guy who shows you 30 seconds of attention, have a baby, may or may not let the guy know, depends if one of the several guys inside you that week would make a good daddy...I could go on but I despise a bad mother more than anything and this post could go sour quick and get me banned. I wish girls/women would realize a mother is basically God to a child the first several years of life, and a man who is a real father can have the same effect. What the hell happened to the family? Why are there so many bastard children? What happened to a child being the most important thing in the world? The Senator may be have the solution, but at least he sees there is a problem. Kudos to him for caring about children and wanting unbroken homes for them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

It shouldn't be about what they want. It should be about what we the people want. Maybe there should be a litmus test . Every time some politician comes up with an absurd bill They should be held for a mental inquest hearing to find out if they are rational or on drugs. There is something definitely wrong with the majority of people in government these days. I don't know if its something they are smoking or snorting?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DoNotForgetMe
The Senator may be have the solution, but at least he sees there is a problem. Kudos to him for caring about children and wanting unbroken homes for them.

Please. How naive are you? This is yet another geriatric fascist in the legislative branch, trying to curry favour with his fellow geriatric fascists, both in and outside of government.

The geriatric fascist legislative branch doesn't care about anyone but themselves. How many repressive laws have we seen voted for almost unanimously? They are all on the take, every last one of them. They write and vote for legislation that they hope both corporations, and other fundamentalist Christian rednecks will approve of and vote for, so they will get re-elected.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
How many single mothers out there - or single fathers - are read to give up your kids to Social Services?

Just asking.

Seriously...

Raise your hands...

peace

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Reply to post by silo13

Everything you posted is backwards. The parents should teach the child the birds n bees, NOT a teacher that may be a pedophile. Women are the ones who do not care about contraceptives, if they did there WOULD BE LESS ABORTIONS-the woman carries the baby, it is HER responsibility to protect herself if she does not want a baby. TPTB do NOT want bastard children, they DO want to end people with no children supporting people with children who are unfit to do so. A woman that intentionally has a baby out of wedlock because she is "independent" and wants to prove to the world she can raise a child on her own-fine, do it, but without welfare and any other handout, want to be the mother AND the father, great, first time your kid funks up, you be the one that gets charged. The kid that killed students this week had a broken home, maybe the Senator is tired of it happening. Women go to the extreme when seeking independence. Guys do not care if you can walk and chew gum at the same time, GUYS WANT A MOTHER FOR THE BABY.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I think the title of the article is a little misleading. If I understand it correctly, he's saying that single parenthood is a contributing factor to child abuse, not child abuse itself. Which is true, some studies have shown that child abuse in single parent households is nearly double that of two parent households.

I don't know, I'm kind of on the fence with this one. Child abuse is an awful thing, and far too common here in the U.S.. Something really needs to be done to stop it... But at the same time, I don't like people being singled out like this.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Reply to post by petrus4

Or maybe someone actually sees how many children are born to single moms and wants to encourage women to take caution when having sex. It is not HIP OR COOL to be a single mom. It is sad when it has to happen but an abomination when done on purpose. That is just how I see it though, I actually give a # about a child and the conditions any child lives in, no one cares about children anymore, just the need to prove "I don't a man"-maybe the trick doesn't but YOUR CHILD DOES, and the child should ALWAYS come first.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I read about a recent attempt to impress teenagers with the horrors of fascism - only to discover that most of the kids embraced the ideas. Sorry I don't remember any details.

Sounds like we're on the road to some heavy times.

S&F&
Good find, but sad.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I find this quite disturbing in the fact there is no way to see how far it would go. For instance my wifes father died when she was a child leaving her mother to bring her up. Her mother never remarried and was a single parent. Would this mean my wife would be seen as neglected and taken away by the state?

Stinks really, stupid wacky idea.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
But would it be better, if there were one abusive parent, for child and spouse to remain in said relationship? It's really sad, but sometimes it's better (after making best efforts, of course) to leave and take the plunge into single-parentdom.

It's too complex an issue for one piece of legislation.

What if a spouse dies? Too many scenarios.

And what about all the GOOD single parents out there raising good kids?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
For the state by the state.

Tell me this is freedom.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DoNotForgetMe

Everything you posted is backwards.

Exactly. That's why I said THEY - I'm glad we agree.

A woman that intentionally has a baby out of wedlock because she is "independent" and wants to prove to the world she can raise a child on her own-fine, do it, but without welfare and any other handout, want to be the mother AND the father, great, first time your kid funks up, you be the one that gets charged.

Wow, that’s pretty harsh. What if the mother doesn’t agree with abortion? What then? Have the child and give it up? You know mistakes do happen even when using contraception. Just saying.

Women go to the extreme when seeking independence.

Really? I’m almost afraid to ask for a ‘for instance’ from you. I think we’ve from far too different a mind set to agree, but, I thank you for your participation in the thread.

peace

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Astrithr

I think the title of the article is a little misleading. If I understand it correctly, he's saying that single parenthood is a contributing factor to child abuse, not child abuse itself. Which is true, some studies have shown that child abuse in single parent households is nearly double that of two parent households.

Agreed but the ATS rules state I have to post the thread exactly for this part of the forums and the alternative link's title was even worse!

I don't know, I'm kind of on the fence with this one. Child abuse is an awful thing, and far too common here in the U.S.. Something really needs to be done to stop it... But at the same time, I don't like people being singled out like this.

You're right - something does have to be done to put an end to child abuse - but - singling out single parents? I would agree we might need to keep a closer eye on single parent families as most often that situation will go hand in hand with poverty and sorry to say facts of life are most poverty stricken homes also have a higher degree of abuse and criminal activity - BUT - not at all should single parenting alone be a factor or indicator of child abuse.

On a personal note? I know MANY of my friends who wish their parents would have split up when they were younger in order to avoid all the hate and arguing of parents who only stayed 'together for the kids' but that doesn't mean I don't understand your point.

peace

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

I find this quite disturbing in the fact there is no way to see how far it would go.

That's the very point. Once 'their' foot is in the door you know they're not going to extract it - only force their way farther in. That's the way the State works. Horrific isn't it.

peace

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by manicminxx

It's too complex an issue for one piece of legislation.

Exactly. Or any piece of legislation at all!

And what about all the GOOD single parents out there raising good kids?

Oh I don't know let's think about that.

How about mandatory monthly home inspections.
Mandatory child counseling by a court appointed child social welfare officer.
If a single parent child's grades fail? To the State they go!
If a SPC (single parent child) gets sick once too often a year? To the State they go!
If a SPC is a female and likes trucks or a boy and likes dolls? Here comes the Judge! Off to the State for them!
If a SPC bucks authority, any authority... Well, you get the idea...

Where will it end?

Hint? It will not.

peace

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I think all children should be seized by the government, because the children MUST be saved from the parents.
Look at the advancement they are making in Canada! The other day a child drew a PICTURE!!!! of a gun!!!! HOW EVIL IS THAT!!! The Canadians taught that parent! They strip searched him, they ransacked his home, they SHOULD have taken that child!

What about the children!!!!!

Wisconsin, they are like the center of great thinking!
Just this past year, they had doctors signing slips to prove that there was a bad disease possibly deadly to teachers! So they wrote excuses for the teachers so they could scream and threaten the lives of the taxpayers! Those evil taxpayers were threatening to make them help pay for the system! Those EVIL taxpayers! Now you bring this to my attention!!!! What am I to think?

"Promote statewide educational and public awareness campaigns and materials for the purpose of developing public awareness of the problems of child abuse and neglect. In promoting those campaigns and materials, the board shall emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect"

WOW, did you read that!!!!!? They are actually stating that bringing a child into the world as a single parent may be bad. I wonder why Fluke and Obama are requesting everyone to pay for condoms for Fluke. It must because for some other purpose!!!! It could not have any bearing on the fact that a child with two parents has a less chance of these things!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOO!

Being a slut is a good thing, unless of course you are Rush Limbaugh and say the wrong thing!

Let us look at the other part of the law shall we?

"Disseminate information about the problems of and methods of preventing child abuse and neglect to the public and to organizations concerned with those problems. In disseminating that information, the board shall emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect."

NOOOOOO!!!!!

It is cool to abuse children, just ask the OP, child abuse is a good thing now.

Jesus CHRIST!

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LIGHTvsDARK

It is cool to abuse children, just ask the OP, child abuse is a good thing now.

I'm the OP and I'd ask that - in sarcasm or no - you do not link my name or even the impression of my name in a sentence like you've posted above.

Child abuse is abhorrent. Period. The Government insinuation itself in between children and their parents is just as abhorrent.

Do we need to stop child abuse? Or course. Is single out single parents with the intention of sniffing around their doors as a starting point to curb child abuse acceptable? In a word? No.

peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join