It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six-Legged Giant Finds Secret Hideaway, Hides For 80 Years

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by paulvh

The tail end is ugly to me personally. I actually like bugs. Something about the tail end though............

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Yeah lets spend hundreds of thousands of dollar bringing back a species that went extinct because it couldnt compete.

Then we need to bring back the other 99% of dead animals that whet extinct due to earths constantly changing enviroment.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
What about the antennae that resemble gods on Sumerian/Egyptian hieroglyphs? Arms up as if in prayer. The "insect" looks like it is wearing a bra, and the ugly part as you say is well, obvious.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Very fascinating and great to see scientists trying to keep this species around...but the pic of the man with two crawling on his hands freaks me out!

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Who spent hundreds of thousands of dollars? These people do it because that is what they do (and love to do). Maybe someone wasted ten or twenty thousand dollars if they were working for a university, but compared to government spending...?

(reply to Wertdahfg) [still learning!]
edit on 3-3-2012 by paulvh because: still learning

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by paulvh
What about the antennae that resemble gods on Sumerian/Egyptian hieroglyphs? Arms up as if in prayer. The "insect" looks like it is wearing a bra, and the ugly part as you say is well, obvious.

Your right about the hieroglyphs.....

Really ancient looking thing.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Just to put it on page 4, how much does this remind you of an ancient god?

edit on 3-3-2012 by paulvh because: spelling

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I dunno about ancient gods thing, but amazingly cool story, glad they were found, worth the money to save (what would the total be? A hundred-thousandth of what we spend on War in a year?)

Forwarded to my Paleo-Entomologist Professor.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I think they are lovely! A great thread thank you. I hope the Lord Howe residents get behind getting rid of the rats and giving these beautiful bugs a go. I would.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Here's the only video I could find of it. Figure there would be more since they're on display at a zoo and have a cool story to go with them.

edit on 3-3-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

S&F that was fascinating to watch. Hope they find a home. Rats can be pretty persistent too.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
When I clicked on this I expected to see something entirely different.

Still cool. Very creepy.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The Melaleuca plant is considered an invasive species in Florida and they are trying to wipe it out. This tough bug might help. I also wonder if any DNA changes can be noticed if comparing the two islands.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
First off.....how freaking cool is that island.....??????
I want to go to there......

Secondly, rats suck....and should all be killed to make way once again for the tree lobster thingy....
I have 3 cats who would gladly volunteer to come with me from Texas to Howe Island to start the killing....

For the first time in my life, I am picking insects over mammals!!!!!

S&F

-chris

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
C

Originally posted by amongus
Great photos! Oh wait.

I was hoping to say the same thing...sadly I cannot. They also said they retrieved their flashlights and cameras! What gives??
edit on 3-3-2012 by Only1King because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Interesting that the want to wipe out one species on the island in order to bring back another....

Often makes you wonder if there ARE aliens out there..........maybe they will think the same for us.......

Seems were the problematic species on this particular rock....

Conservationist IMO should think about things like that before deciding to do what they think is "right"

edit on 3-3-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

Rats are considered as pests. Why not wipe out the introduced species (rats) and repopulate the island with the original native species (Giant stick insect).

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I think reviving any species back into existance from an "adam and eve" pair is a noble cause regardless of classification or how cute or ugly they are.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Belated Flag and Star.
Read this earlier and loved the story.
Ty for posting.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I agree, it would be removing the invasive species introduced by man in the '20's and '30's, and allowing the native species to repopulate. It was very fortunate that a tiny colony of these incredible insects managed to survive on a neighboring island.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Wow, talk about stubborn! I wish all species could survive this well...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join