It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six-Legged Giant Finds Secret Hideaway, Hides For 80 Years

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Wow, thank you for posting this! I love when a species that is thought to be extinct turns out to be alive and well.

I really enjoyed the vid, but I hope the zoo isn't depending on this video to convince the residents of the island to allow the insects to come back. Somehow, I think it might be more of a deterrent than anything.
I thought it was great, myself, but you know how squeamish people can be...

Btw, I was worried the video would end before it got its feet out of there, haha! That would have driven me insane!

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
OH MY EH!

as you can tell i am not much of a insect lover, so i find those incredibly creepy and just ewwwwy!

hahah

But the story is pretty cool, the island/volcano is amazing, the way it's curved. Seems like an island you'd find in a story of fantasy.

Very cool post

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Im not sure what is more freaky, the bug or that guys monobrow!

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Very nice find, thanks for sharing OP.

Seems like a few of our modern day 'men' could learn a thing or two from these chivalrous insects.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The Palo Verde beetles here in So. AZ. get twice as big. And they fly. And they bite. I loved the story though. Those fellers know how to survive. I bet they taste good if you're starving to death lol.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Man that's awesome, I love stories like this, thanks for sharing.

Unbelievably amazing how they were found under one bush! where would they be without it?!

I wonder how long they've been there and how long they would've kept living there without ever being found by humans.

Nice picture of Balls Pyramid.
edit on 3-3-2012 by Realm52 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Aww wth, no pix?

Sweet article, thanks for posting. I hope they take care of that rat problem so the insects can go home. Absolutely remarkable how they survived.
theres pix in the source provided... these things are very cool wouldnt like 1 next to me though

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Wow, this is really interesting because its living proof that natural exoskeleton development is not limited to the micro insect world and that it can be an attribute which larger organisms possess.

Its fascinating because the mechanics of exoskeletons were thought to be only workable on a tiny scale, otherwise the whole structure begins to impose limits on itself ie it is so heavy it moves very slowly.
edit on 3-3-2012 by TruthIncarnate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Interesting that the want to wipe out one species on the island in order to bring back another....

Often makes you wonder if there ARE aliens out there..........maybe they will think the same for us.......

Seems were the problematic species on this particular rock....

Conservationist IMO should think about things like that before deciding to do what they think is "right"

edit on 3-3-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I think they look kinda cute, wouldn't mind having one as a pet.
Great story though, I hope they breed them well.
edit on 3-3-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I was really sorry that they had been rediscovered. I hope they are left alone.

ETA: That is the coolest looking island/dormant volcano!
edit on 3/3/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This was posted a few days ago.. In fact i believe it was on the front page. Why have there been so many double and triple postsofstories lately?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthIncarnate

Not sure where you got this idea? Most crustaceans and some cephalopods are much larger than typical insects and they use exoskeletons? And they were probably even bigger back in the age of dinosaurs.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Great uplifting story about survival against the odds for these amazing insects.
Thnx for the post\
SnF

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The bugs are really cool. It's that guys eyebrows that scare me.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Don’t know if this is a good idea. What if these things are from some alien race. Now this guy has over 10,000 at his zoo and making more. What if they start to take over? OMG what if we become the food?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

edit on 3-3-2012 by broahes because: place holder

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

The effect of being in an aquatic environment is that gravity is reduced compared to on land also it is the genetic material and the actual biomechanical functions that are important, something which you cannot see in fossils.
edit on 3-3-2012 by TruthIncarnate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
It's posts like this that help make ATS great Way to go, terrific link. You posted this is such a way that newbies in this type of scholarly territory can become interested to new avenues of learning that they may not consider otherwise.

Way to Go !

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Blackmarketeer,
Wow! Great find! Thank you for sharing this with us! It's absolutely fascinating...However, it is creepily huge! The scientist describes nursing it holding it in his hand so I guess its friendly right? Eeek!
That is an awesome story about how they survived so long..and am proud of our scientists breeding them so they can live even longer, even though obviously they didnt need our help! Their story is very cool.

Thanks for sharing BlackMarketeer!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join