It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six-Legged Giant Finds Secret Hideaway, Hides For 80 Years

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+111 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Six-Legged Giant Finds Secret Hideaway, Hides For 80 Years (NPR.org)

They call it "Ball's Pyramid." It's what's left of an old volcano that emerged from the sea about 7 million years ago. A British naval officer named Ball was the first European to see it in 1788. It sits off Australia, in the South Pacific. It is extremely narrow, 1,844 feet high, and it sits alone.

What's more, for years this place had a secret. At 225 feet above sea level, hanging on the rock surface, there is a small, spindly little bush, and under that bush, a few years ago, two climbers, working in the dark, found something totally improbable hiding in the soil below. How it got there, we still don't know.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What they found under this solitary bush, that Boingboing writer Maggie Koerth-Baker describes as 'horribly awesome', you can read about in the source article by Robert Krulwich (NOT for the Entomophobes!).

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
OMG! I am not afraid or get creep-ed out with practically ANYTHING! But that sir, would send me screaming like a nine year old girl. Ever seen those Camel Spiders? They have the same effect on me.

Great Find.

edit on 3/2/2012 by BLKMJK because: But I don't want to give a reason

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
This island is like the living embodiment of "Skull Island" from Peter Jackson's King Kong remake - jagged nightmarish island crawling with gigantic insects... But it's always amazing the way life can cling to such places, after we're done nuking ourselves into oblivion at least some life will go on.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Great read...

Interesting insect...

This part specifically...very penguinesque...

Patrick "showed me photos of how they sleep at night, in pairs, the male with three of his legs protectively over the female beside him."

Beauty is apparently not only exoskeleton deep

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
What a nifty story. I love the part where the males sleep with three of their legs around the females. Who would have thought bugs would spoon.
I hope they find a wonderful place to release them in.

UberL33t, I see we posted almost the same thing lol

edit on 2-3-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Hides? Nothing can hide from man!
We find life, kill that life, then find 52 different ways to eat that life, then we put it on the Food Network.

I think newly discovered creatures untouched by man's influence always look amazing, no matter how many legs and stomachs they have.

edit on 2-3-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Great photos! Oh wait.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
It's very bizarre to think of an entire insect colony built around one single clump of bush. It may be a good thing scientists managed to breed these in their zoo, in case their island habitat is wiped out, but they did manage to hang on for decades on their own.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Six-Legged Giant Finds Secret Hideaway, Hides For 80 Years (NPR.org)

They call it "Ball's Pyramid." It's what's left of an old volcano that emerged from the sea about 7 million years ago. A British naval officer named Ball was the first European to see it in 1788. It sits off Australia, in the South Pacific. It is extremely narrow, 1,844 feet high, and it sits alone.

What's more, for years this place had a secret. At 225 feet above sea level, hanging on the rock surface, there is a small, spindly little bush, and under that bush, a few years ago, two climbers, working in the dark, found something totally improbable hiding in the soil below. How it got there, we still don't know.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What they found under this solitary bush, that Boingboing writer Maggie Koerth-Baker describes as 'horribly awesome', you can read about in the source article by Robert Krulwich (NOT for the Entomophobes!).

Ive known about this insect since highschool.... Thats 8 years ago.... Yes im australian, seen these little buggers on a fishing adventure show back in 2004 when a team went to the island to go fishing around it and to climb it and look for wildlife.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I can't even stand to look at it, its so nasty looking. We have thin green stick insects where I'm from. They're creepy enough. I wish the rats would of been a little more thorough in their search to eliminate the nasty creeps! Not really, I don't mean that. - j/k lol smiley face - I'm glad they found a few survivors of the stick apocalypse. (It seems that the male bug still tries to protect female from the threat of rats, even years after the 'hard times" like its bred into them now. or maybe they are still trying to hold on to each other so they wont roll of the rock in their sleep. J/K) Rats always end up ruining everything.
I can't help but think of The Loch Ness Monster and Bigfoot, etc. You know, all of the things that supposedly went extinct. If these insects could survive and sustain a tiny population on the side of that rock, for over seventy years, maybe the mystery creatures of the world could also be hiding a small population out there.

TXML

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
crazy, i swear ive read about them before, the extinct ones anyway.

maybe its just the article being vague and the writer assuming people wont care to get into the details(or maybe they didnt understand it well enough themselves).... but i would simply HAVE to assume that the bugs that went extinct on the larger island were not the same bugs as these. they may have been extremely similar as they come from the same source, but based on what i have seen of other animals spread out on different islands like this.. they are always a tiny bit different depending on how long ago the populations split. (hello, Charles Darwin anyone??)

i would hazard the guess that the extinct bugs were truly as large as they were described, because they were on an actual island with plenty of food and plenty of room to spread out.... while the ones on the rock, only had that one bush, so of course they would have become bit smaller to cope with that.

but if they put the new bugs on the old island, after a few generations they might grow to their old sizes.

which, obviously, might not make the people living there too happy.. but... lol.

id rather have giant bugs than giant rats... but thats just me.

ps- that video drove me crazy, just watching it trying to pull its feet out.... felt like it took an hour.
edit on 3-3-2012 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Blackmarketeer
Thanks for such a wonderful thread..I don't like insects but these gigantic insects are neat..I really liked the live birth video hard to believe something that big can come out of something so small it took to long i wanted to reach down and help pull it out.. .peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Aww wth, no pix?

Sweet article, thanks for posting. I hope they take care of that rat problem so the insects can go home. Absolutely remarkable how they survived.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
It really is huge! I have an idea on how they might have gotten to the island. I spoke with a biologist a few years back on how fish get into ponds that have no fish. The larva gets attached the ducks and geese legs as the feed and when the land in the next pong..fresh eggs drop off.
Possible a seagull or some sea bird transfered them out there. Neat insect.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

edit on 3-3-2012 by Damian-007 because: I don't have to give a reason.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

That picture looks right out of Bryce 7.

But ... I have no but!!

until I look more, and then my butt was like WOOOOSH!!!!

Man it's hard to embed a pic without knowing it's deimension in an ATS tag. those babies look like they have the market cornered on their peak of the hill, what the fudge do they eat?

This is evolution... left alone, being top of the prey, you just go nuts! unlike pesky sugar ants, who live by the billions just as they die by the billions... if I saw one of these in my room, I'd poop... I really think I would.

"Jesus this is one hell of a hang over!! OMG it's REAL!!!!!"

edit on 3-3-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Ewww bugs... but great island. Looks like those in movies, volcanic islands.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

id rather have giant rats but saying that, i have 15 pet rats so i may be slightly biased :p

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
is this a new species entirely? nice find OP.

i like insects, wonder what they eat up in that cliff?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Hey thats cool, did you see the picture of the worlds largest cricket?

I guess if you leave bugs alone for long enough with no predetors they get all fat

<<   2  3  4 >>

join