It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

found somthing on reddit i want all of you to be aware of

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22
reply to post by ninjas4321

Sounds like every teen in America needs to attend,for god sake making a teen adhear to rules and regulations,who ever heard of such?
but seriously as long as there is no physical emotional or sexual abuse going on I think it's a great idea.They may actually learn something there.

... there is physical and emotional abuse happening there.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

If my parents had ever put me in a place like that, the day that I got back would be the worst day of their lives, that I can guarantee. It still amazes me the level of trust that people put in corporate entities that pretty obviously have no purpose other than to bring in a profit by suckering insecure, weak parents that have no clue what is going on (like my parents) into shelling out large sums of money and placing their child in the hands of untrustworthy strangers. The fact that people still think that these "facilitators" are trustworthy is a true indicator of mainstream idiocy these days.
edit on 3/3/2012 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Why do these types of boarding schools get to do things to kids that parents would be in legal trouble for? Send your kid on a forced march without food and Sheriff Joe will be knocking on your door.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I've lurked since on ATS since probably about 2007 but I never post anything because I can never contribute. But I have some experience in this type of area so I thought I'd tell me story.

This summer will mark the 10 year mark that my parents sent me to Turn About Ranch, a program that is part of the Aspen Educational System that some one wrote about. I was a very troubled child. I was 14 at the time. I was getting into drugs and alcohol and had a temper beyond control. I remember one time my parents caught me with cigs and took them away so I went out to the garage and brought an axe inside to threaten my parents so I could get my smokes back. I want to show this part of the story because in my parents defense I was beyond out of control and I don't know what I would have done with a child like me.

A few days after summer had begun I was awoken at 3 in the morning by my parents and 2 men who were about 6'4 and 300 lbs. I was half asleep and didn't really know what was going on but I was told I was being brought to a program and that I would be leaving with the men. Long story short they brought me to the airport and to a place in Escalante, Utah called Turn About Ranch. The first three days you spend all day every day sitting in a dirt circle. You are supposed to be thinking about what you've done and all that. You cannot talk to anyone and I was even yelled at for digging a hole in the dirt. For breakfast you have to make oatmeal over a fire, lunch you get trail mix, and to be honest I don't remember what was for lunch. I do specifically remember the oatmeal though because parts of the firewood would crackle and pieces of burnt wood would get into your oatmeal. For years I would make jokes about that giving it its texture.

After the first phase, or level 1 as they call it you move on to level 2. At level 2 you live in a small cabin with a few other people. When I was there I believe there was maybe 8 people there. There are bunk beds in the cabin and you get a sleeping bag, but no mattress pad or pillow if I remember correctly. You might have gotten a pillow, but you slept on the wooden board of the bed. I remember that for sure. You spend your time at level 2 doing work around the ranch. Milking cows, feeding chickens, that kind of stuff.

I remember I had been there about two weeks and I had slipped walking down a hill to get some water and ended up hyper-extending my knee. I was having trouble walking and while carrying a log with someone else I dropped the log and grabbed my knee. I was yelled at and told to walk on it. A little while later after chores were done and we got back to the cabin I pulled my pant leg up and everyone could see that my knee had swollen up twice the size of my other one. The next day I was brought into town and taken to the clinic. While it was just me and the doctor I broke down in tears and told him that if I went back I would kill myself. Eventually he calmed me down and told me he would talk with the supervisor who had brought me and that I would come back in a week to check on my knee and we'd take it from there. I never went back to the clinic.

Eventually I got to level 3 which meant I got to go stay at the "Barn", a much larger cabin that housed maybe 40-60 people and was where you spent the remainder of your time. Once you got the Barn you got a two inch mattress pad. Basically you would go out and do chores for the people around town. You might be helping someone clean out there basement, or you might be building a fence for someone. The worst is when you would have to go bail hay. I found out that summer that I'm allergic to hay, but that didn't stop me from getting put on bailing hay duty. The nights after that were terrible. I'd be sneezing and itching all night.

There were multiple different punishments. There was sitting in the dirt circle for a certain amount of time, there was digging a hole, usually about 5x5x5, and also walking in the desert. I got in trouble twice, once for talking about running away, and once for telling a story at free-time where there was a cat that could roll joints (I developed a talent for making up stories on the spot and became a sort of storyteller free-time, I just enjoyed being able to make people laugh and see them smile.) For the plot to run away I had to sit in a dirt circle for a day and write a 10 page paper about what I would do if I left or something like that, which coincidently was on my birthday, so I spent my 15th birthday sitting in solitude in a dirt circle. For the cat/joint story I had to walk in the desert. You'd basically be brought out into the desert at 9 in the morning, and have someone drive behind you in a pickup until 5. I had to do that for 2 days (actually finished singing 99 bottles of beer on the wall, and the second day I started 500 bottles of beer, but got tongue tied around 250 and quit.)
continued

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
The third day I just had to walk around the cabin for a few hours. After I got done walking a man by the name of Chris Christenson told me I was going to goof my life away. I still remember that. After I got done I went into the bathroom and wrapped my belt around my throat but I just couldn’t do it. I had already been there about 70 some days and was almost set to go home so I just struggled to make it through the last two weeks. I should also add that while you’re there you can only write letters to your parents, and they did read the letters you wrote. You got to see you parents once for a weekend called, I dunno midterm or something, I’m not sure anymore.

I do want to add that it wasn’t all bad. There were horses there and there were certain parts of the week where you would get to go riding. I don’t want to make it seem like it was a pure horror show.

Overall it was a terrible experience, even tonight writing this I found myself wanting to break things as the anger boiled over. I do want to stress though that I was out of control and don’t know what my parents should have done. I had severe depression at the time so I don’t agree with the approach they took, but I can understand that they didn’t know what to do.

To be quite perfectly honest as bad as the experience was I think I’d rather have that experience than not have it. I learned in the middle of the desert that what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger, and I feel pretty strong after that summer. I also learned a extremely valuable lesson that the human mind will find the good in situations. I shared many laughs with the friends I made there over the dumbest of things. I could keep going on but I am dead tired. Sorry that took so long to type out. If anyone has any questions about my experience feel free to ask.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Denying any contact with the outside world. Regulated meals. Solitary confinement. Teach to respect authority and rules.

Sounds Familiar. I forget what its called. There is another institution where they practice these things.

Oh yeah prison.

I guess these kids deserve to go to prison for not conforming to what their parents believe to be a functioning member of society. Where you go to work, pay your taxes, and keep your head down and blend in and never question it. I think these parents need to wake up and look around and wonder why their children act up in the first place.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Why do these types of boarding schools get to do things to kids that parents would be in legal trouble for? Send your kid on a forced march without food and Sheriff Joe will be knocking on your door.

This is assuming that what this kid has to say was true. No proof= (to me) another rotten kid who needed some discipline, and now complains over the lack of his cell phone, by calling it "torture."

Dont get me wrong, if all this DID happen, I would be the first to scream "shut it down", but honestly there is soemthing seriously wrong going on in many of today's teens, and if parents try to straighten them out a bit, by placing them in an environment of structure and discipline, go for it.

This kid thinks it is "torture" to not be able to eat junk food? Come on...

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

strict set of rules and regulations: you eat what they give you, do what they tell you

Sounds like normal parenting to me, albeit from teachers. As for keeping you in small rooms(as a bedroom) for extended time, just seems like normal grounding that I grew up with.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Oh COME on . This is a boarding school. It's supposed to be like that.

The lil spoiled brat.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jaydub911

You sound conflicted.

Awwww. There There. Come to Auntie.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by isthisreallife
When I was 16, my parents sent me to a military school in North Carolina. I didn't really have a choice in the matter, and I was basically taken from my home against my will. I think I deserved it, however, and it has changed me and my outlook on the world.

Many of things described here are exactly the same at any boarding, preparatory or military school for kids and teens. I was forced to wear a uniform, go to bed at 10, study for 2 hours every night, and then wake up at 6 am for PT and morning classes.

Uniformity and respect were the two most stressed features of the school. Whether you liked it or not, you were going to wear the uniform, go to the classes, eat their food and accept your fate. Although, we were allowed to leave for holidays and such, including two weekends a quarter to see our families.

I don't really see what is so drastic about this situation?

The school you went to and the one described in OP by a victim are completely different. The school you went to stresses on discipline which is good IMO. But as described in OP, those schools are meant for indoctrinating the kids with "mis-information" I should say. And as the result, those kids may learn some discipline but they become more afraid of their environment, more violent and lose their creativity and rational thinking.
The perfect sheeple.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Okay so that was a horrible experience, but be perfectly honest right now - dispite the negative view you had of that part of your life: Do you think if they haddnt thrown you to this place you would have been in jail instead, possibly even still in jail now?

It does sound like you were a wild child and im not saying these places are correct, im just wondering if it IS all bad or weather some/most/all are somhow better for it.

6 months heavy drug use on some of the stronger things can kill you or at least mess your life up considerably, does sound a bit like it wasnt the best solution just perhaps the only solution available.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Religion is poison,That's all I have to say about that.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
Congratulations. He made it through a boarding school.

Its called "Structured" environment. I am sorry that he couldn't yell back and disrespect an adult caregiver without consequences.

Being locked in a small room , hmm. What exactly is small to him .. a closet - 5 foot by 5 foot or what?
edit on 2-3-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

I'm afraid you are woefully uninformed regarding the difference between a boarding school, military or otherwise, and a behavior modification prison camp.

Philosophically, schools are intended to expand the mind of students so they may develop dreams and aspirations relative to their abilities and desires and to further provide the students with the critical thinking skills so they may discern for themselves what in fact constitutes Truth.

Behavior modification is the polar opposite intended to program a set of preconceived behaviors and dogmatic beliefs with no consideration of the free will of the student.

As a Christian man and father of a daughter in an all girls boarding school and the uncle of a nephew in military school, I could not find behavior mod more reprehensible nor opposed to the principles of freedom as taught by Jesus Christ or espoused by the charter of my daughter's school near Washington, DC.

My nephew, like many bright but lazy boys, needed more structure in his life to realize his potential. His father, also a devout Christian would never find anything in the least bit redeemable about the concentration camp mentioned by the OP.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
With spelling like that you might want to attend private school, because public school is not working for you.
Why would a Christian parent send off a child claiming to be Christian? Are you sure it was Vacation Bible School?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Where are you now verses where you would have been? They might have saved your life and theirs...from what you say and you are still here to say it, says something about the procedure.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

That is because if you don't have Jesus you have nothing. Hence poison.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

The reason God gave us free will is so that we make our own choice to love and follow Gods teachings and reconize Him as our Father and creator . Your parents and this facility is in no way approved of by God and all those involved in this will answer to Him for these transgressions when the time comes.

God the Father realizes that these churches of men that have perverted His word and judge His people with the threat of eternal damnation in Hell! They are whores themselves and are an abomination in His sight.

Any religion that forces a relationship with God is a false religion and will be judged accordingly . It is sad what your parents have done in blind faith listening to the lies of man regarding the will of God . Try not to blame them they were misguided by lies only trying to save you from their belief in an eternal hell .

I will leave you with one verse from Gods letter to you ,the Bible. .........Cursed be the man who puts his trust in man.
edit on 3-3-2012 by Azadok because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I have been looking at the Horizon Acedemy website, and I have to say that this is either bull, a joke, or very very sad. They also have two different websites with different contact information.www.academyhorizon.com...

Some quotes from the website I found interesting.

1. Q: How quickly can I have my teen enrolled? A: Some families need to work within a tight time from and in most cases this can be accommodated. The minimum is 24 hours.

Almost instant enrollment for your unruly teen.

8. Q: Once I make the decision to enroll my teen, how do I get them to Horizon Academy? A: Your admissions representative will assist you through different options for getting your teen to the school. Each situation is different. Some students will come voluntarily, while others will not. We let you determine what you feel is best for your child.

What do they do if the teen will not cooperate once they are in their custody?

I guess I have never heard of camps like this. Not surprised though!

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

If my parents had ever put me in a place like that, the day that I got back would be the worst day of their lives, that I can guarantee. It still amazes me the level of trust that people put in corporate entities that pretty obviously have no purpose other than to bring in a profit by suckering insecure, weak parents that have no clue what is going on (like my parents) into shelling out large sums of money and placing their child in the hands of untrustworthy strangers. The fact that people still think that these "facilitators" are trustworthy is a true indicator of mainstream idiocy these days.
edit on 3/3/2012 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

The fact you even threaten your parents show what a lousy person you are .

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join